• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CMonster Condo HT

Hooked up the Crowson tactile transducers yesterday and... the system will be returned. All it did was vibrate the suspended floor; seating didn't move at all. :(
Are you sure you didn't install them upside-down? :p

Need to see this in person Chuck... when's the GTG?

I doubt I'll ever have a true GTG given the small theater size and lack of accommodations - pretty much everyone would have to stay in a hotel (though there are several within easy walking distance). Still have some things to nail down before it's open for visits. The screen is up as well as the existing acoustic treatments though some need to be re-positioned a bit; that'll happen after the new Rythmik subs arrive.

Today is Thursday, yesterday was Subday..........................

Where are the FN pictures????

^Wife got them unboxed and in the room but that's as far as we got. I'm swamped at work and we just got our home computer back after it crashed so getting that up and running again is a bigger priority. :(

Subs are up and running - I'll get some pics tomorrow. I just slapped them in the front corners so tomorrow I'll do the sub crawl to figure out the best placement. The room isn't perfectly sound-proofed but it seems to be holding up pretty well. I was running Art of Flight at slightly-above-moderate level and it was barely audible from 10' outside the doors in the main hallway. I think we could improve upon that by putting something on the bottom of the doors to get a better seal there. Anyway, I need to talk to the folks below us to see if it's affecting them at all.

We're loving the 120" diagonal screen (16:9) at a 10' seating distance. At the old house we were sitting a little further back and only had a 104" screen. Also, having the center channel behind the acoustically-transparent screen is awesome! Another cool thing is there doesn't seem to be much glare on the glossy C2s which are only a couple inches to the sides of the screen, their midpoint about even with it, and toed-in a bit.

Last edited:
I ended up placing the subwoofers across from each other at the midpoint of each side wall. Ran Anthem Room Correction and it's sounding pretty dang good.

120" @ 10'??! IMAX ain't got nothin' on you!
That sounds just about perfect to me. It would be immersive without being overwhelming.

In my main HT my eyeballs are 7' from a 96" diagonal screen.

As I've mentioned previously, those dimensions were chosen with two things in mind: the size of my (small) room; and preserving the same visual experience as I got by sitting dead centre in a large (real) theatre and taking note where the four corners of the screen were (using my glasses to "remember" each corner's position in my frame.) I then went home, sat where I knew my sweet spot seat would be and "projected" those points onto the front wall. I then allowed for the space needed to put the centre speakers behind the screen and that gave me the 96" screen.

If I were sitting three feet further back, as in CMonster's case, that 96" would need to grow to something like 120" to preserve that same field of view.

Yup, I think CMonster has nailed it - with both the acoustically-transparent screen and its size.

Jeff

As requested...

The screen hangs from the ceiling by black rubber straps that have holes every couple of inches so the length is adjustable. I spray-painted the silver hooks matte black.

911C20CC-BDF0-4732-B5CA-DDD56A30E314_zpsplbrazim.jpg

We're having some technical issues with the JVC projector so for now we're using the BenQ that was in our living room - it doesn't quite have the throw distance nor lens shift necessary to fill the screen - keystone adjustment is at 12.
8D59D0CC-E3C2-49DC-93B3-7A4F9A6DB098_zpsz2w7ptpe.jpg

Back