• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cutting the Cord?

Maybe the fireplace is causing interference? :biggrin:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Damned fireplace! I don't hate it as much as I used to though since hanging the 65" plasma above it.

Now my pool has taken over as the most hated inanimate object in my possession, but lets not go there. LOL

I keep thinking I should get a pool, a boat or a camper, but then I read about all the "fun" you guys have with your toys, and I'm good. lol

I keep thinking I should get a pool, a boat or a camper, but then I read about all the "fun" you guys have with your toys, and I'm good. lol

Growing up Dad was good to his family. We had a pool ad a camper. And in my early twenties I crewed on a sailboat on Lake Erie and got to know the owner very well.

They are all great fun but all involve alot of work that many people don't think about.

Growing up Dad was good to his family. We had a pool ad a camper. And in my early twenties I crewed on a sailboat on Lake Erie and got to know the owner very well.

They are all great fun but all involve alot of work that many people don't think about.

Love my camper and would only trade it for a nicer one. I could take or leave the pool it’s about as much trouble as it’s worth. To hell with owning another boat though. I’d muuuuuuch rather make friends with people with a boat and offer to buy gas occasionally.

Love my camper and would only trade it for a nicer one. I could take or leave the pool it’s about as much trouble as it’s worth. To hell with owning another boat though. I’d muuuuuuch rather make friends with people with a boat and offer to buy gas occasionally.

C'mon brother you are welcome anytime and no need for gas money, I don't accept it from anyone else so I wouldn't from you either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to have a pool, but it would never work with our back yard. Boats, I've heard the best two days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Camping would be fun if it was just the wife and I, but I'm sure we'd have to bring the kids along. We do have a few campgrounds close, so it would be easy to do though.

The Fire TV Cube dropped in price last week ($69 instead of $119) so I gave it a shot.
Barely tried it out until a couple days ago...I like it. Has some drawbacks (FF/Rew doesn't seem to work on D*NOW,
Not many dedicated buttons, no "Info" available or "Info" button that I've found yet, delayed navigation from button press),
but happy with it generally so far.

I have another TV that needs streaming hardware (must be D*NOW compatible). I'd buy another cube
but the price is back to $119...

Recommendations? AppleTV? Fire Stick 4k? Wait for the Cube to drop again? Roku?

Thought I had seen a thread somewhere, but can't find it now.

The Fire TV Cube dropped in price last week ($69 instead of $119) so I gave it a shot.
Barely tried it out until a couple days ago...I like it. Has some drawbacks (FF/Rew doesn't seem to work on D*NOW,
Not many dedicated buttons, no "Info" available or "Info" button that I've found yet, delayed navigation from button press),
but happy with it generally so far.

I have another TV that needs streaming hardware (must be D*NOW compatible). I'd buy another cube
but the price is back to $119...

Recommendations? AppleTV? Fire Stick 4k? Wait for the Cube to drop again? Roku?

Thought I had seen a thread somewhere, but can't find it now.

I have the Fire Stick 4k and really like it. Very quick/responsive and if you're used to the Amazon interface, then you're all good. Now, I will need to admit i've not tried other systems all that much. My folks have a Roku, and it seems ok, but the Fire Stick is easier for me and faster (although their's is an older model). At some point I'm planning on getting the FireTV Recast, so that will dovetail into the Amazon FireSticks I already have.

Have no experience with the fire sticks, but you can get a cheap Roku for $29, although it probably won't do 4K.

I love my Amazon devices, but I do not love my Fire Cube. I use it the same way I use a standard 4k fire device because the added "cube" features absolutely made me crazy. If I asked Alexa a question about anything, or to do something, it paused my video and I had to manually restart it, either with another Alexa command or the remote. If I spoke to a different echo device within hearing range of the Cube, it would pause the media upon hearing the wake word, and even though it realized I was speaking to a different device, the content remained paused. If I didn't have my preamp set to the tv audio input, I could not use the cube as I could not here it respond. Just overall, it drive me crazy. So I changed its wake word to "computer" and plugged in the Echo Dot I intended to replace.

Last edited:
Over the years I have had 4 Roku devices and have never had a serious problem.. They are my primary source for viewing.

Over the years I have had 4 Roku devices and have never had a serious problem.. They are my primary source for viewing.
The only thing I dislike about the Roku over my Sony X800 for streaming, is the menu with Hulu is so much better on the Sony than the Roku. On the Sony, it's much more like a Netflix menu.

I never liked the Roku menu - user interface. I find it clunky and sometimes confusing to the point of frustration. That said, I don't hate it.

The only thing I dislike about the Roku over my Sony X800 for streaming, is the menu with Hulu is so much better on the Sony than the Roku. On the Sony, it's much more like a Netflix menu.

I will agree with you the Hulu menu on the Roku sucks.

I like Android TV a lot, though I do not always like that smart TV manufacturers do with it (I'm talking to you, Sony). I've had Roku boxes for years, but I would take the NVidia Shield TV over any of them.

I live my Amazon devices, but I do not love my Fire Cube. I use it the same way I use a standard 4k fire device because the added "cube" features absolutely made me crazy. If I asked Alexa a question about anything, or to do something, it paused my video and I had to manually restart it, either with another Alexa command or the remote. If I spoke to a different echo device within hearing range of the Cube, it would pause the media upon hearing the wake word, and even though it realized I was speaking to a different device, the content remained paused. If I didn't have my preamp set to the tv audio input, I could not use the cube as I could not here it respond. Just overall, it drive me crazy. So I changed its wake word to "computer" and plugged in the Echo Dot I intended to replace.

Going to agree with you. The video pausing is aggravating. When I ask the weather, it pauses what I'm watching, shows me a weather forecast, then after 10 seconds it returns me to what I was watching (auto-restarting the video). I have another Echo in the room already. Changing the wake word may happen soon.

I dropped by a local electronics shop and based on price (and the necessity of 4K and another streaming device), picked up a Roku Ultra.
1st blush...the minimal delay (if any) between button press and reaction on screen is much better. It works. I was considering the Apple TV, as I bet it has the simplest/best/quickest interface...but for $80 more...I'm happy with the Roku Ultra 1 day in.

Found something weird with Hulu last night. I've noticed that most shows that I've watched on Hulu have been looking horribly compressed lately. These would be shows like Superstore that just aired a couple of months ago. @Flint had mentioned something either in this thread or another one, that after awhile, some content providers will move the content to a slower streaming platform, so I thought that was what was going on. I had checked the settings in the hulu app on x800 a couple of weeks ago when I first noticed it, and it was set as it always has been, auto. Last night I checked again, and it was still on auto, but I decided to set it at the highest setting, which I think was 3.2 mbps. Night and day difference. Watched the next episode of Superstore and it looked great. I'm wondering if Hulu somehow lowers the quality through the auto section on some of these shows? Either way, I'm going to leave it at the highest setting. Makes we wonder if that's why the live tv looked so crappy.

You don’t have a data cap on your home internet service do you? I had to upgrade to get unlimited data because when we cut the cord we got very close to the limits.

You don’t have a data cap on your home internet service do you? I had to upgrade to get unlimited data because when we cut the cord we got very close to the limits.
No, not that I'm aware of. We have had issues with low speeds, so I added speedtest to my phone and had plenty of bandwidth for streaming Hulu. For whatever reason, the auto setting is what was causing the low resolution. I thought what I was seeing was something Flint mentioned earlier, that Hulu moves older content to slower servers, and I thought that what was what was going on here. Now it makes me wonder if the auto setting sets it to stream a lower resolution on shows that have been out for awhile. Either way, it back to looking good.

Back