• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cutting the Cord?

Switching back and forth between the shows we had recorded on Dish, and Hulu, most everything we watch is available either on Hulu, or CBS all access, so I told the wife to cancel the Dish. Wish I had realized this sooner, as we are only having to spend another $10 a month to save $110, plus we get access to the new Star Trek as well as the new Twilight Zone coming out.

^^ Link

The only thing I’ve changed with TiVo is I swapped out the OTA Roamio with an OTA Bolt.

^^ Link

The only thing I’ve changed with TiVo is I swapped out the OTA Roamio with an OTA Bolt.
Thanks for link Bats. I did try an antenna last week, just to see what I could pick up before investing in a dvr, but being that the houses are so close together in my neighborhood, I don't really get much in the way of reception. Besides, with Hulu, which I already had, I pretty much get everything that we watch regarding local programming. Only thing that we may miss is local news, which I pretty much only watch first thing in the morning, and I might be able to find a stream of that on the tv's browser.

On a side note, it seems like Barney has been gone longer than two or three years, but is kind of bittersweet seeing his posts in some of the old threads

Thanks for link Bats. I did try an antenna last week, just to see what I could pick up before investing in a dvr, but being that the houses are so close together in my neighborhood, I don't really get much in the way of reception. Besides, with Hulu, which I already had, I pretty much get everything that we watch regarding local programming. Only thing that we may miss is local news, which I pretty much only watch first thing in the morning, and I might be able to find a stream of that on the tv's browser.

On a side note, it seems like Barney has been gone longer than two or three years, but is kind of bittersweet seeing his posts in some of the old threads

Rob

You may want to consider DirecTV NoW if you find you really miss the local channels and some stuff that is not on Hulu

Rob

You may want to consider DirecTV NoW if you find you really miss the local channels and some stuff that is not on Hulu
Could also go Hulu+Live Tv from what I've gathered. I think Hulu's offering is $45 a month, and it comes with 50 hours of cloud dvr. News and Judge Judy are probably the two shows that I will probably learn to live without. News is only on in the morning, so maybe even just a cheap antenna to get that. This will be more of a journey than anything.

Realized last night that CBS all access also includes a somewhat local CBS station. So I at least have one local.

Canceled Dish last night, and other than the 10 minutes on hold to talk to someone, it was fairly painless. We weren't under any contract, so no charges and they are prorating the service and sending us some money back. I'll admit, it will take some getting used to, but we now have more choices than ever on programming at half the price.

I know somebody stated they were unhappy with the picture quality on CBS All Access, but ours for the most part has looked outstanding. We watched an episode of the new Magnum PI, and if it wasn't 4K, I couldn't tell, it looked that good. The local channel offering may not look so good, but that's probably more of a problem with the local than CBS all access.

Here’s another reason I’m using DirecTV Now instead of regular linear TV programming.
As long as I’ve got a decent connection I can stream live events. So even when we’re away from home I’ve got a reasonable chance to be able to watch live sports.

27261AB7-7923-4A18-AA3E-C7424B6EC921.jpeg

Last edited:
So the biggest problem so far with cutting the cord, is that not everybody in the house agrees with it. My son, who was the only other one who had Dish in his room, is not liking not having it one bit. Keeps asking me to fix his tv. He does have Netflix, which I thought would be enough, but apparently not.

So the biggest problem so far with cutting the cord, is that not everybody in the house agrees with it. My son, who was the only other one who had Dish in his room, is not liking not having it one bit. Keeps asking me to fix his tv. He does have Netflix, which I thought would be enough, but apparently not.

What???

Every person I personally know who is under 30 years old doesn't watch live TV. They will leave the room where a TV is showing a show they like to watch streaming on their phones or tablets.

Are you sure your son isn't a 50 year old con-man?

What???

Every person I personally know who is under 30 years old doesn't watch live TV. They will leave the room where a TV is showing a show they like to watch streaming on their phones or tablets.

Are you sure your son isn't a 50 year old con-man?
No, but he is a 20 year old with Down's Syndrome so he doesn't view the world the same as the rest of us.

No, but he is a 20 year old with Down's Syndrome so he doesn't view the world the same as the rest of us.

Oh, that's right! My joke is less funny now.

What does he watch? Can't you find that stuff separately?

Oh, that's right! My joke is less funny now.

What does he watch? Can't you find that stuff separately?
He loves Impracticle Jokers, and I believe they have some shows on Netflix, but I think it's more of the change in the way he watches rather than the content. Hopefully he gets used to it because he's asked me numerous times this weekend to fix his tv.

Currently I'm on a contract w/ Verizon FiOS, but expect to be moving soon.
Turns out, FiOS is not available where we are moving to...as such...I think I may not
connect the cord in the new place.

I loved D* while I had it (for like 15 or more years), and I love my locals so D* NOW looks like a front runner.
Is their DVR stuff working at this point? Well?

Netflix is a must...

what's on Hulu?

And...CBS All Access...do I need that if I have my local CBS affiliate?

If you want to watch the online only shows like Star Trek, No Activiyy, The Good Fight, and others, you need CBS All Access. Since I am watching those shows and I have Hulu Plus, I don't feel a need for other live local streaming services.

So, I pay for hulu plus and CBS all access, but not Direct TV or Dish, or other live services.

Currently I'm on a contract w/ Verizon FiOS, but expect to be moving soon.
Turns out, FiOS is not available where we are moving to...as such...I think I may not
connect the cord in the new place.

I loved D* while I had it (for like 15 or more years), and I love my locals so D* NOW looks like a front runner.
Is their DVR stuff working at this point? Well?

Netflix is a must...

what's on Hulu?

Still figuring things out, but I think CBS has started to limit what they have on Hulu, although I'm loving Hulu since cutting the cord. I don't think the current season of Survivor is on there, and unsure of some of their bigger shows. I'm finding by having Prime, Hulu+ and CBS All Access, there is very little content I'm missing compared to Dish. Added HBO Now as well, and we are still half of what we were paying for Dish and have quite a bit more content.

I don’t use either CBS AA or Hulu often enough to have knowledge about overlap in content, but if I were CBS and I wanted to drive subscribers to my app, I wouldn’t allow any current seasons of anything on other competitor’s apps.

I don’t use either CBS AA or Hulu often enough to have knowledge about overlap in content, but if I were CBS and I wanted to drive subscribers to my app, I wouldn’t allow any current seasons of anything on other competitor’s apps.
I think once Disney has their app up and going, I think that's exactly what will happen.

I gotta say, for the most part I'm really liking cutting the cord. There's a few shows that we miss, but we have so much more to choose from, that it's almost overwhelming deciding what to watch. Plus, everything just looks better. With Dish, most shows had a softer look to them, and would be oversaturated in color, especially red, but streaming those same shows, they look very sharp and the colors very natural.

So after a couple of months, we do find ourselves missing some things. Keeping track of what you watched, versus a dvr, has been challenging, especially when one of the kids gets on there and watches a bunch of stuff and screws up the what to watch list in Hulu. Also, and this one is hard to explain, but I really miss having local tv at times. We get a Michigan CBS station on CBS AA, but it's out of Grand Rapids and their weather is different than ours do to Lake Michigan. So thinking about adding the live tv to Hulu+. That would still be cheaper than what we had with Dish, although we are getting back close to what we were paying for Dish. I think they are some other channels that come with it which might make the wife happy as well, HGTV being one of them. I think you can try it free for a month, so I guess I don't have much to lose, and I'll report back the quality of it and ease of use.

Back