• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Denon AH-D5000 Mod

I don't read the HE-500 threads but do many other owners have faulty pads? Is there a chance to get them replaced under warranty?

A 3/8" difference must be effecting the sound. I know from experimenting with pads on several headphones that even the smallest change in depth or material used can be easily noticed.

Nankai (Fang, HiFiMan founder) released new protein ear pads after listening to the complaints for many months. They're so thin my ears touch the inner material that separates the planar driver from the pads. Needless to say, the sound stage is diminished, and imaging suffers. I find them worse than the Velour pads, although they are the same thickness.

After waiting for an extended period for the "new" ear cushions, I'm pissed. I'll make my own pads.

Rope

:music-listening:

Rope, here ya go. Right at 4" diam. to where it locks onto the plastic ring on the housing. 7/8" thick pad.

Beyer T1:

Attachments

• IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    903.1 KB · Views: 411
GreatDane said:
Oh shit!

:music-rockout:

We'll see if it's oh Schiit, or Ahhh shit!

My experience seems to suggest electronics make the least difference in sound quality, or improvement, but you never know until you try.

If not, goodbye Bifrost, hello T1s

Rope

Digital camera batteries were crapping out, so this pic sucks rotten eggs.

Rope

Rope said:
GreatDane said:
Oh shit!

:music-rockout:

We'll see if it's oh Schiit, or Ahhh shit!

My experience seems to suggest electronics make the least difference in sound quality, or improvement, but you never know until you try.

If not, goodbye Bifrost, hello T1s

Rope
I tend to agree. I feel that the quality of the monitor is most important and amps come second, source third. Some will disagree . It's hard to find a crappy DAC or CDP or at least one that I can truthfully say has been a week link in my chain.

A few weeks ago I did add a SS amp to compete with my WA3, the Matrix "m-stage" with OPA627AP class A biasing mod. It does have an edge with bass control but lacks that tube sound that I've grown to love...more of a 3D soundstage with tubes.

Most dedicated SS people don't understand the "tube" sound, and like you, I really enjoy the sound of an outstanding, low microphonic tube(s). I am extremely lucky to have purchased a pair of Lorenz mica tubes which for the most part are not currently available, more so than the Siemens & Halske CCa. Even though they don't posses the content of 3D, or holographic sound properties as the S & H CCa, they're are my favorite tube far and away.

After listening to the Bifrost for a couple of hours, I can honestly say it brings more detail to the over all music experience, that could be easily mistaken for a bright or edgy sound by some users.

I was a bit disappointed with the over all sound of the HE-500, being a bit dark, or muffled sounding. However, the Bifrost seems to have enlightened the 500s. But before I jump to false conclusions, I'll give things a bit more time, and not that I believe a SS product needs time to burn in. My brain needs to burn in, and switch up a couple of different HPs.

Rope

What source(DAC or favorite CDP) have you been using to compare to the Bifrost?

I totally believe in brain burn-in. It often takes me many weeks of casual listening to come to a meaningful conclusion.

Dane -

Do some music tracks you listen to with HPs have nuances, or sounds that come from fricken some where other than the HP? I have around five different tracks/different artists, that just plain freak me out! One sounds like it's coming from my gear in the front of the room, another from behind me in the upper level. Some times it creeps me out.

Rope

lol Those tracks aren't binaural are they? I'm sure I have a few but none that are new to me so no surprises. I sit within a 6 foot triangle to my speakers but I get a better soundfield from my HP and for ultimate detail there's no question.

GreatDane said:
What source(DAC or favorite CDP) have you been using to compare to the Bifrost?

I totally believe in brain burn-in. It often takes me many weeks of casual listening to come to a meaningful conclusion.

Squeezebox Touch > BBE > Lyr.

Rope

I've never used a Squeezebox Touch and had to look it up to be more familiar with it. It looks pretty damn cool. So, any thoughts on kicking the Squeezebox Touch to the curb? What type of digital signal are you sending to the Bifrost?

GreatDane said:
I've never used a Squeezebox Touch and had to look it up to be more familiar with it. It looks pretty damn cool. So, any thoughts on kicking the Squeezebox Touch to the curb? What type of digital signal are you sending to the Bifrost?

Squeezebox (Wma media from network/Ethernet connection) Touch (spdif) > Bifrost > BBE > Lyr.

Rope

Earthquake! :laughing:

Actually that's kind of a cool effect with the lights...

Back