• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Denon AH-D5000 Mod

Left out the source component: Squeezebox Touch, sorry. Don't own a fancy shmancy DAC. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

Input tubes have more influence on sound quality beause they always have voltage gain, where output tubes are always run at unity voltage gain.

I swapped out the Gold Lion's for a pair of very inexpensive Sovtek tubes. Spent the last four nights listening to a variety of music, and the Sovtek's hold their own comparted to the JJ's with a bit better midrange, although lacking in the low frequency region.

Next tubes will be "Russian Rocket" manufactured in Vaskhod plant, Kaluga City, Russia.

P1070960.jpg

Rope

Rope said:
I swapped out the Gold Lion's for a pair of very inexpensive Sovtek tubes. Spent the last four nights listening to a variety of music, and the Sovtek's hold their own comparted to the JJ's with a bit better midrange, although lacking in the low frequency region.

Next tubes will be "Russian Rocket" manufactured in Vaskhod plant, Kaluga City, Russia.

P1070960.jpg

Rope

Those tubes don't look all that well made.

OK, dumb question of the day. I know nothing about tubes. Years ago when I worked with tube equipment I always replaced bad ones with the same model. Can one of you guys please explain (keep it simple please) why switching tubes changes the sound? Are the tubes identical internally with different quality levels in the production process or are there significant internal design differences in how the tubes process the signal? Do you have some kind of a list of which tubes are compatible with the amplifier? Thanks.

p.s. Sorry - that's 3 questions.

Orbison said:
OK, dumb question of the day. I know nothing about tubes. Years ago when I worked with tube equipment I always replaced bad ones with the same model. Can one of you guys please explain (keep it simple please) why switching tubes changes the sound? Are the tubes identical internally with different quality levels in the production process or are there significant internal design differences in how the tubes process the signal? Do you have some kind of a list of which tubes are compatible with the amplifier? Thanks.

p.s. Sorry - that's 3 questions.

Not a dumb question(s), although SH would be much more knowledegible, since this is my first journey with tube rolling.

Different HP amp designs require different voltages, therefore different tubes to supply the needed voltages.

I'm using a hybrid amp with tubes on the input stage only, so the input tubes have more impact on the sonics, which has me completely amazed at how different tubes affect the sound. For example, the stock JJ tubes (6922) were recessed in the midrange and hyped in the treble. When I rolled in the Gold Lions, also 6922, the midrange moved to the front of the sound stage and they subdued the ssssssssss treble, bottom end was about 6's.

I know nothing about the actual materials/construction of tubes, however, that has to have some affect on the tubes sonic characteristics.

Rope

Here's a pair of tubes (6N1P-VI) I ordered from a Russian vendor. They're more balanced and sound better than all the other tubes I've rolled in to date. The only information concerning these tubes is they're military(OTK), and they were very inexpensive, including shipping.

Rope

Attachments

• PICT0340.JPG
    PICT0340.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 595
Rolled in a new (NOS 60's) pair of Russian military (OTK) 6N23P EV's. Super close to the 6N1P VI's but a bit warmer with less gritty midrange. Still quite young, so they may change slightly in the coming weeks.

Rope

Attachments

• PICT0343.JPG
    PICT0343.JPG
    721.7 KB · Views: 555
  • PICT0346.JPG
    PICT0346.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 555
So are you happy with the sound yet or will the tube collection grow?

I sense an addiction coming on. :teasing-neener:

GreatDane said:
So are you happy with the sound yet or will the tube collection grow?

I sense an addiction coming on. :teasing-neener:

I'm reasonably satisfied with the 6N23P's, yet if there becomes a tube available which truly trumps the latter and is reasonable in cost, I would be willing to purchase more tubes. The problem as I see, it in regard to acquiring tubes that supposedly outperform the 6N23P, is the variation in HeadFi members gear. The only constant is the Lyr, and furthermore, there a lots of ears out there that hear things differently. The only answer is the ol' proof is in the pudding routine, buy um, try um. I'm hoping to find someone knowledgeable and trustworthy to be my guinea pig.

Rope

I've added a few things over past months.

HiFiMan HE-500
Mullard 6DJ8 ECC88 IEC tubes.
Lorenz PCC88 tubes.

Still own the AKG 701 and the Denon DM-5000.

Film at eleven.

Rope

Rope said:

HiFiMan HE-500
Lorenz PCC88 tubes.

Film at eleven.

Rope

very interesting...I imagine they sound awesome.

GreatDane said:
Rope said:

HiFiMan HE-500
Lorenz PCC88 tubes.

Film at eleven.

Rope

very interesting...I imagine they sound awesome.

While the AKGs and Denons are not slouches, the HE-500s with the Lorenz tubes are truly amazing. Huge, deep sound stage with a three dementional sound. The Mullards pair nicely with the other cans, with frequencies being balanced from top to bottom.

If things get better, I may invest in a good DAC. Possibly the Bifrost.

Rope

I wasn't aware of the Bifrost. I haven't kept up with Head-Fi for 4 months. I did a quick search and found Jason's thread. I'd put my money on that DAC. I'm still using a Musical Fidelity V-DAC that I bought new a couple years ago new for $250. I don't plan to replace it.

Thanks, Dane. I have read his review and viewed the video.

The only issue I have with the HE series is the use of JUNK ear pads. These people have built an excellent phone, then chose to cut corners with the ear cushions. One of my cushions is 3/8" thicker than the other. I liken the ear pads to the environment regular speakers sit in.

I'm working on my own design for a deeper better sealed ear cushion for the HE-500.

Rope

Back