• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Favorite Albums You Think No One Else Knows About

mzpro5

Famous
Well at least almost no one else.

I'm pretty sure we all have a few (maybe more than a few) albums/CD's we love but we think most others don't have a clue about. Here are a couple of mine off the top of my head.

51l6fDiElHL.jpg

Doo Dad by Webb Wilder - Wilder is a great guitarist and a pretty good songwriter. I have 3 of his albums but this is by far the best

6ebc820dd7a04f10afeef010.jpg

What Up Dog by Was (Not Was) This is a great album featuring the "Was brothers" - David Was (a.k.a. David Weiss) and production genius Don Was (a.k.a. Don Fagenson ) Don Was has just been named Chief Creative Officer of Blue Note Records. this has everything - rock, jazz, and lots of funk. this quote from a customer review says it all - "Just what it was that made Was (Not Was) so very special is a little hard to pin down: the crisp tight production, the ability to seamlessly go from funky r'n'b to lounge to rock to heartbreaking ballads to whatever other style they chose, the sensational vocals of Sir Harry Bowens and Sweet Pea Atkinson or their ability to write memorable melodies and couple them with some of the wittiest, most bizarre or touching lyrics in popular music?"

41VFS6NEEJL.jpg

Infamous Angel by Iris DeMint - this is in the folk/country genre. I love DeMints high fluid voice and she does the best rendition of "Fifty Miles of Elbow Room" I've ever heard.

What might you have that fits here?

Re: Favorite Albums No One Else Knows About

The Kills - Midnight Boom
613S9LKu4bL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pilotdrift - Water Sphere
41K6a3e%2Bo8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Never herd of any above except Iris DeMent who lives about 20 miles north of me in Weston, Mo or used to. She used to sing in a little Irish pub in downtown Weston. She is well known locally singing around town in Irish & Folk music clubs. She has sung background and Duets with John Prine.

I bet Dennie has some he'll share. :teasing-tease:

Rope

Is this the same thing as having rare albums no one else might not have? If so....

MilikiSound.jpg

Peter King - Miliki Sound

This is easily the most expensive album I have bought. A lot of his stuff is hard to find and/or is no longer in existence. Most of his stuff that came out around the 70s was lost due to all the infighting in his country of Nigeria. From what I've read, he supposedly has about 14 albums in his discography, but only 8 of them are known. I have 6 of those 8 all on vinyl, except this one:

Shango.jpg

Those two are my favorites by him.

I also found on eBay, but got outbid, a 45rpm of Men At Work's first release. Their first release was a couple of songs they produced under their own label at the time before getting signed by Columbia. The A-side was a tune called "Keypunch Operator". That song never made it to the finished album that would become Business As Usual. The B-side was an early demo of "Down Under". That version sounds totally different than the Columbia release. I have both as downloads, but would still love to try to find the actual 45 in order to hopefully get a better quality out of it. Only 300 of them were pressed.

MenAtWork1.jpg

I saw one that was autographed by all 5 members of the band on eBay a few months ago. The winning bid was around $640.

Yesfan70 said:
Is this the same thing as having rare albums no one else might not have? If so....

Sure - why not. :handgestures-thumbup:

Jeff, I have and love What up, Dog? :eusa-clap:

Here's one of mine. I can't remember the music reviewer I liked so much in the old Stereo Review, but he was always spot-on (raved about the Police before anyone else caught on) and he was a huge fan of this guy:

s25833-1.jpg

Kind of a cross between Bruce Springsteen and Frank Zappa, with a wonder acidic wit.

Another one, almost folk-rock but the bass player and drummer have an almost telepathic, subtle funk to their playing:

pdb2.jpg

Finally, these guys were out of Minneapolis and I loved them, but there are a lot of bands out there called "Mango Jam"...

B0007N6WWU.01-A2F0A6SONEFEJM._SCMZZZZZZZ_V44901567_.jpg

I wanna do you on the Moon!
I wanna get you in a spoon (position)...

I was going to post Tonio K. - the best social commentator of the late 20th century, but I was beat to the punch.

What about this?

jellyfish_bellybutton.jpg

Pure genius in powerpop perfection!!!

And the brilliance of this?

Grays%2B-%2BRamShamBo-%2B1994.jpg

Sheer musical bliss from a clean pop-Rock exceptionalism!!!

Rope said:
I bet Dennie has some he'll share. :teasing-tease:

Rope

:teasing-neener:

Okay, but you guys can't tell anyone. :shhh: I loves me some "Joey".....

:bow-blue:

41V2YPcP2rL.jpg

When I bought this CD it was expensive, around $20. I just saw used ones on amazon starting at $74.99! :scared-eek:

The inside photo's are even better! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Can she sing? Well, NO! But does that matter, it's naked Joey Heatherton? :dance:

Dennie

I have Jellyfish too, will have to check out the Grays!

Joey Hetherton! Didn't she have some kind of a variety show on TV or something, round the time of Carol Burnett?

Botch said:
Joey Hetherton! Didn't she have some kind of a variety show on TV or something, round the time of Carol Burnett?

I fell in love with her, when she was on "Laugh-In"! :romance-cloud9:

Dennie

Here is a album that, it seems, most people don't know about....

The Papas and Mamas Presented by The Mamas and Papas....

DenniesPhotos322.jpg

DenniesPhotos323.jpg

DenniesPhotos324.jpg

DenniesPhotos325.jpg

I used to listen to this a lot 20 years ago. Maybe worth another spin:

51lt8tSqjdL._SS500_.jpg

"Taste" Rory Gallagher 1969

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 714

Well it's just a matter of time before Yesfan brings up that Mr Bungle crap!

Deacon said:
Well it's just a matter of time before Yesfan brings up that Mr Bungle crap!
I think I have an album by them... :shhh:
Now I'm thinking about Ozric Tentacles...

Back