• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Favorite Albums You Think No One Else Knows About

Re: Favorite Albums No One Else Knows About

Botch said:
Joey Hetherton! Didn't she have some kind of a variety show on TV or something, round the time of Carol Burnett?

From Wikipedia:

Heatherton began her career as a child actress, appearing in 1959 as a member of the ensemble and an understudy in the original Broadway production of The Sound of Music, and received her first sustained national exposure that same year as a semi-regular on The Perry Como Show, playing an exuberant teenager with a perpetual crush on Perry Como. She also appeared extensively on The Dean Martin Show; Dean Martin invited her to perform numerous times on the show, starting with the premiere episode of September 16, 1965. From June to September 1968, along with Frank Sinatra, Jr., she co-hosted Martin's summer substitute musical comedy hour, Dean Martin Presents the Golddiggers. She also made multiple appearances on 1960s television shows such as The Andy Williams Show, The Hollywood Palace, The Ed Sullivan Show, and This is Tom Jones. She first appeared on television on her father's show The Merry Mailman, a popular children's show in New York.

In May 1969, she appeared on the Tonight Show, where she energetically coached Johnny Carson on the finer points of dancing "The Frug." During that era, she also appeared in Bob Hope's USO troupe between 1965 and 1977, entertaining the GIs with her singing, dancing and provocative outfits. Excerpts from the USO tours were televised as part of Hope's long-running series of NBC monthly specials, culminating in the top-rated Christmas shows, where Heatherton's segments were regularly featured.

In 1969, Heatherton married Lance Rentzel, a wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys.[1] In November 1970, Rentzel was arrested for exposing himself to a 10-year-old girl.[2] They separated shortly afterward and divorced in 1972.[1]

Srvy said:
Here one I always liked.

51mWRTwRvIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A kinda coincidence:

You live near Iris DeMint and I live in the Cleveland area home of the Michael Stanley Band. Saw them live numerous times and have most of their stuff on vinyl.

Stanley has been shuffling around the Cleveland media market for decades becoming a local TV/radio personality and occasionally trying to rekindle his music career.. Even had his own local radio show on Sunday nights for a while.

jamhead said:
I used to listen to this a lot 20 years ago. Maybe worth another spin:

51lt8tSqjdL._SS500_.jpg

I have that, my introduction to Bauhaus when I learned more about who they were. Though I like the self titled release better as it's much different (minus the hit song so alive) the song no new tale to tell was a great song.

If your not familiar with Bauhaus Jam they are like the Led Zeppelin of goth.

Thanks for the tip -B-, but I am familiar with Bauhaus...used to listen to them as well. Love and Rockets self titled release is more electric and complex....and I enjoy that one too. Earth Sun Moon has good memories for me.....it used to hit that "mode" when the time was right.

Saw this band open for Fu Manchu, great high energy rock music. Sadly I think they were 1 and done. This is a rare good front to back album which I picked up after seeing them open for Fu Manchu

51wt%2Bf6M04L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Rollimg Blackouts - Black is Beautiful

This band was 2 and done, this was their 1st album which is good from front to back. Lots of stoner rock fans like it, but I think they are more than that. They sound more like classic rock but offer that good fuzz.

51ZVF%2Bk24GL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Peals and Brass

Some may have heard their song Home used in a NFL commercial. Another great album front to back. I cant describe them at all, kind of genre exempt I guess. I first heard them on Sirius indie station XMU.

61V9U05TW6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros

I have tons of stuff that is largely unheard of, I chose these as they may appeal to some of you. Note the first 2 arent exactly hi-fi.

OK 1 more. Some may like Queens of the Stone Age, personally I think Josh Homme is brilliant and all of his projects are favorites (he was just on Anthony Bordaine's most recent No Reservations) As a teenager he was in a band named Kyuss who are the quintessential stoner rock band. The fact that kids so young got signed and made music so important to the genre says a lot. Bands like Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer were the foundation of the stoner rock music scene started in the early 90,s which Kyuss were pivotal in.....FUZZ!!! Josh was 19 when this one was recorded!

51gvs2I3T6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

I may have to bookmark this thread...............

Forgot about this one:

Bears%2Bcover.jpg

When Robert Fripp temporarily disbanded King Crimson after Three of a Perfect Pair, Adrian Belew joined 3/4s of a Cincinnati band called The Raisins and they called themselves The Bears. They continued with Adrian's left-of-center songwriting, both guitarists did a lot of "stunt" guitar work, electric drums and futurist solidbody upright bass, but they played mostly in spritely 4/4 time, so you could dance to it without breaking anything (unlike KC). Got to see them live once in Dayton OH, and they were a great live band. They had two or three albums before Fripp reformed KC and that was that.

w00t, here's The Bears on EweTube:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5OVjJMDn-k[/youtube]

Oooo... the bears! No one knows about them! It was Belew's band before Zappa discovered him. He never stopped playing with them. He just took long breaks.

Flint said:
Oooo... the bears! No one knows about them! It was Belew's band before Zappa discovered him. He never stopped playing with them. He just took long breaks.
Wait, wat? He played with The Bears before Zappa?? (I did notice on EweTube a video of him performing with The Bears around 2008...)

I have LPs from the Bears published in the 1980s. That was his first paying gig and Zappa discovered Belew playing with them while on Tour in their town. Zappa used to scout out local musicians when on tour.

Jackie Allen - "Which?"
She's a great vocalist. The music is a little bit jazzy. Highly recommended.

89af793509a07d82b93e5110.L.jpg

Everyone here probably knows the musicians on this album, but maybe some of y'all aren't yet aware of the group? If not... It's called Works Progress Administration.

Let's see... you've got Glen Philips of Toad The Wet Sprocket fame, Sean Watkins and Sara Watkins from Nickel Creek, Benmont Tench (from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), Luke Bulla (a member of Jerry Douglas' band), plus some other musicians as additional contributors.

The music is really good. A lot of it sounded like a "country-fied" version of Toad The Wet Sprocket, I suppose. Sean Watkins music is earnest sounding as always. And Luke Bulla has a really nice voice whenever he sings. It's been a couple of years since this came out. Not sure if we'll ever see a second album from WPA.

http://www.wpamusic.com/

51DwsdqofoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Davey Knowles and Back Door Slam. This is there second album which Peter Frampton played a big part in. Very soulful voice for a guy in his early 20's.

Attachments

• 61EXJ+BImEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    61EXJ+BImEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 325

I dicovered the songs Tighten Up by Archie Bell and Drells on Amazon. I had never heard of them, but they sound kinda funky!

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 322

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:
Huey said:
Davey Knowles and Back Door Slam. This is there second album which Peter Frampton played a big part in. Very soulful voice for a guy in his early 20's.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 311

if you like old school (late 60s early 70s) rock you would find this interesting

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 295

The Bogmen -- found this CD in the bargain basement section of my local used record store. I can't think of a better $1.99 I ever spent. I like or love every song.
ShowImage.aspx

The Swamp Zombies --- Again, searching through the super cheapies at my used record store I found this one. I bought it purely on the name of the band. I ended up buying every CD I could find (a little difficult since they're out of print). I think I played this one while at Flints and he asked who they were. By far the best beatnik/folk/punk hybrid ever!
IMG_0528.jpg

The Queers -- I don't know anyone else that has ever mentioned them, and I've never heard them on the radio (with good reason based on their lyrics), but they could be my favorite "fun" punk band. Fast guitars, totally sophomoric lyrics, slightly sexist and totally fun. And again, I bought their first album based purely on the name of the band and album.
61E4DVK5QFL._SS500_.jpg

Back