• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - Dedicated HT Room?

I had the opportunity to spend a day with the Heemans, most of which was in the HT.

I dont have time to write a decent post at the moment so I'll just say... WOW!

Keith did an awesome job.

I'll write more later.

Towen7 said:
I had the opportunity to spend a day with the Heemans, most of which was in the HT.

I dont have time to write a decent post at the moment so I'll just say... WOW!

Keith did an awesome job.

I'll write more later.

Thanks Tom!

To bad we didn't have more time. Thanks for taking the long trip for such a short visit. I wish that I was feeling a little better also.

Time spent with you and Christie is always a great time.

See you next Wednesday with the rest of my old college friends! :handgestures-thumbup:

Towen7 said:
Dang it. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.. I hate it when that happens. :angry-cussingblack:

Zing said:
Towen7 said:
Dang it. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.. I hate it when that happens. :angry-cussingblack:

You don't want me to post my PM to you and your response back to me concerning an open invitation...........do you??? :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Keith,
That is seriously awesome and I am seriously jealous. I want a dedicated room so badly...

Randy said:
Keith,
That is seriously awesome and I am seriously jealous. I want a dedicated room so badly...

Thanks Randy......................

It performs WAY above our expectations. I still need to pinch myself that all the hard work is done and it is time to enjoy.

94 hrs are already on the projector.

A few years back this was just a dream that would never come true............

heeman said:
:naughty:

Dreams do indeed come true. Especially when hard work and dedication precede them.

Wow Keith!!!! I need to go to bed after a very long day, BUT, I have been wanting to view this thread the last few days! Nailed it, in its entirety! Good for you! Creating your own domain for a passion! I just luv the metallic look to the room! I wish you & Barb many hours of enjoyment & comfort, for your listening pleasure!

Zing said:
heeman said:
:naughty:

Dreams do indeed come true. Especially when hard work and dedication precede them.

Yea..................

Let's drink some Bakers 107 at the GTG and start talking about our dreams..................sounds like a late night to me!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Babs said:
Wow Keith!!!! I need to go to bed after a very long day, BUT, I have been wanting to view this thread the last few days! Nailed it, in its entirety! Good for you! Creating your own domain for a passion! I just luv the metallic look to the room! I wish you & Barb many hours of enjoyment & comfort, for your listening pleasure!

Thanks Babs! This thread is indeed a long read, thanks for taking the time to do so..........

I couldn't have done it without Barb, her contribution, support and hard work made this happen!!!

See you in a few days!

i aspire to have a dedicated room like you do heeman, one of the qualms of living in an apartment is... well, we cant do shit.

anyways, its a great room in my opinion. something built from scratch, from your very own sweat and blood, always, always makes the room 200% increase in value. whos? if its yours its all that counts.

congratulations on your room.

three syllables.

awe. some.

just because awesome deserves another syllable. because its....wait for it.

awe. some.

jomari said:
i aspire to have a dedicated room like you do heeman, one of the qualms of living in an apartment is... well, we cant do shit.

anyways, its a great room in my opinion. something built from scratch, from your very own sweat and blood, always, always makes the room 200% increase in value. whos? if its yours its all that counts.

congratulations on your room.

three syllables.

awe. some.

just because awesome deserves another syllable. because its....wait for it.

awe. some.

Thanks a lot!!

Awesome is an understatement. The pictures and descriptions don't do this room any justice at all.

Last weekend the wife and I took Heeman up on his offer to drive down for the weekend. I'm glad I did because he and his wife Barb are great friends , and getting to check out his new HT would be an added bonus.

Guys... Before I saw it, I couldn't really appreciate the scope of all the things he had to do to pull this off. There are a hundred big and little projects that don't directly relate to the room itself... like moving the washer/dryer, all the plumbing, adding walls, installing big assed beams, moving electrical circuits, building pocket doors. All of that had to be done BEFORE he even had a space to begin with. All of THAT work is done superbly with a great level of skill and attention to detail.

Heeman's descriptions made me think the room would be uncomfortably small, especially when he told me that there was a second row of seating. Thats simply not the case. Not even a little. I was also thinking that the grey on black would make the room less inviting with the lights on. I was wrong about that too. The room has a spacious feel and is very comfortable. Even with all four of us in the room, I never felt cramped at all. In fact I could easily see adding a couple of extra chairs on either side of the front row if he ever needs to accommodate six people.

Speaking of chairs... The powered leather recliners in his room are to die for. Very comfortable and relaxing. The Ikea Poang chairs he's using on the back row are becoming popular on the Audio Annex. Batman, Jeff Mackwood, myself (and a few others I'm sure) use them. They are surprisingly comfy and even though they don't recline I would have no complaint watching the a few movies from one. They are a pretty good bargain to boot.

Heeman put a lot of effort into the color of the room and it paid off in spades. Even with the lights on, the room feels dark. With the lights off and the custom window shade in place it is PITCH BLACK. When the JVC projector is fired up, the black wall and ceiling help make the picture really pop on the screen. Some of the scenes we watched looked almost 3D. Super sharp, super clear.

I like to think that I know Hemman pretty well and it's safe to say that he's more of an audio guy than a video guy. His HT does not fall short in this department. The Studio 60's and little SVS sound amazing. I can't wait to hear this system once he gets the planned acoustic treatments in place. I remember he had some concern that the sub lacked impact but I didn't find that to be an issue. I think once he gets to dial it in using RTA software and the planned bass traps it'll sound (and feel) even better.

In short... Heeman's theater is a freaking fantastic place to blast some tunes, or sit back and mellow out, or watch a blockbuster movie, or watch a Nascar race... It's damned near perfect.

^ Damn Tom, thanks for taking time for the great review.........

I was hoping that the room turned out half as good as that!

This guy feels even better about the room right now!

Sounds fantastic!!! Hope to see it in person someday soon!!

^ :text-+1:

And a :text-+1: on the outstanding writeup! I think you have a future with one of the trade rags when AT&T goes belly up for selling Obama our phone records. :teasing-tease:

Towen7 said:
Awesome is an understatement. The pictures and descriptions don't do this room any justice at all.

Last weekend the wife and I took Heeman up on his offer to drive down for the weekend. I'm glad I did because he and his wife Barb are great friends , and getting to check out his new HT would be an added bonus.

Guys... Before I saw it, I couldn't really appreciate the scope of all the things he had to do to pull this off. There are a hundred big and little projects that don't directly relate to the room itself... like moving the washer/dryer, all the plumbing, adding walls, installing big assed beams, moving electrical circuits, building pocket doors. All of that had to be done BEFORE he even had a space to begin with. All of THAT work is done superbly with a great level of skill and attention to detail.

Heeman descriptions made me think the room would be uncomfortably small, especially when he told me that there was a second row of seating. Thats simply not the case. Not even a little. I was also thinking that the grey on black would make the room less inviting with the lights on. I was wrong about that too. The room has a spacious feel and is very comfortable. Even with all four of us in the room, I never felt cramped at all. In fact I could easily see adding a couple of extra chairs on either side of the front row if he ever needs to accommodate six people.

Speaking of chairs... The powered leather recliners in his room are to die for. Very comfortable and relaxing. The Ikea Poang chairs he's using on the back row are becoming popular on the Audio Annex. Batman, Jeff Mackwood, myself (and a few others I'm sure) use them. They are surprisingly comfy and even though they don't recline I would have no complaint watching the a few movies from one. They are a pretty good bargain to boot.

Heeman put a lot of effort into the color of the room and it paid off in spades. Even with the lights on, the room feels dark. With the lights off and the custom window shade in place it is PITCH BLACK. When the JVC projector is fired up, the black wall and ceiling help make the picture really pop on the screen. Some of the scenes we watched looked almost 3D. Super sharp, super clear.

I like to think that I know Hemman pretty well and it's safe to say that he's more of an audio guy than a video guy. His HT does not fall short in this department. The Studio 60's and little SVS sound amazing. I can't wait to hear this system once he gets the planned acoustic treatments in place. I remember he had some concern that the sub lacked impact but I didn't find that to be an issue. I think once he gets to dial it in using RTA software and the planned bass traps it'll sound (and feel) even better.

In short... Heeman's theater is a freaking fantastic place to blast some tunes, or sit back and mellow out, or watch a blockbuster movie, or watch a Nascar race... It's damned near perfect.

:text-goodpost: T7

That was an incredible review!!!! :text-+1:

I'm really happy for you and Barb, Keith. A dedicated room is so much fun!! I can't wait to see it in person. You never know when Jan & I will get the urge to take a drive...

John

Don't get carried away with absorbers. Small rooms are tricky and can turn "dead" very quickly if you add just one too many absorbers. Just focus on first reflections in front of the listening sweetspot and use diffusion or angled redirection behind.

The first 2 panels have been completed, not hung yet, but place at the first reflection point on the side walls.

HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

The build was time consuming, however we have now figured out the best way to fold the black material.

I used old sheets for the backing and #2 pine for the frames, very cost effective.

Here are a few pic's........

HT002_zps9f541287.jpg

HT004_zps0ad02002.jpg

HT006_zps20b12f57.jpg

HT008_zpsc9a01064.jpg

Back