• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - WI Basement HT Build

After moving the RF and LF speakers around and listening for changes (for the good). I am pretty happy right now the way the Audio Portion of the HT is performing. As Flint has indicated, the bass/LFE should be and is quite incredible.

The picture quality with the black velvet front wall and ceiling is just WOW!

Someone on here was gracious enough to send me a Marantz 7005 Pre/Pro to try, Barb just called me to tell me that it arrived today. I hope I have time to set it up today after work. It should be a much better unit than the Outlaw 975. We will see..........

I would love to see a proper waterfall chart for your room. I imagine it is amazing, especially in the bass range where most reviewers don't test speakers because they don't have anechoic chambers. Acoustic engineers and architects do test those things because they are creating spaces, not speakers.

I am so excited for you. I absolutely must get out sometime and listen for myself.

^ The sooner the better..................

I played the first disc of your reference music this past weekend, WOW!

I don't know what you guys are looking at all I see is black :D

Just kidding....helluva job Heeman! Like others I want to see and hear it in person.

I had to lighten that picture significantly to be able to see things in the room!

Thanks for all the positive comments........

Barb continues to talk about having a GTG, let see what happens later this year. However, if anyone wants to come over for a long weekend or whatever, we would love to have you!

Heeman,
Are you mostly video or 2 channel audio?

I get to listen to 2 channel audio for about an hour or so each night, more on the weekend.

We try to watch a movie about 3 nights during the week and a few on the weekends as well as a good concert.

So about 50/50?

Curious why you are asking??

No real important reason. Just curious.
First off, very impressive room and you should be proud!

When I was putting my room together, I was waffling between having a room pitch black for video or keeping it lighter for different moods.

Let me explain. Sometimes, when I listen to music on Sunday afternoon, I prefer to have natural light within the room. I have some artwork between the two main speakers that I can look at and have some visually interesting stuff on walls, etc. Sometimes my wife and daughter will come in and we'll draw or do a puzzle while listening to music as well.

For movies, or for evening listening sessions where I want the room to be dark, I have blackout shades, drapes, and that works for music, but the tan carpet still reflects light more than I'd like, but a compromise I was willing to make.

I decided against a completely dark room because I felt it would be a "mono mood" room, where, regardless of my mood, it would be dark. For this reason, and only this reason, I decided to sacrifice the video side. But again, I probably listen to 2 channel / multi channel music 90% of the time (I think I have 200 hours on my projector over 2 years old).

So, that's what prompted the question. I also have a retractable screen. But, when I was deciding on a fixed or motorized screen, I didn't want to look at a screen when listening to music....much like I don't like staring at a TV when listening to music. However, I thought that if I went with a fixed screen, I would have used some LED track lighting to reflect different color LEDs....kind of a swirling light option, or at least add some color.

So those are the thoughts that go through my mind. To me, the ambiance of the room can reflect my mood. Didn't mean to talk about my room in your thread.....but it's interesting to see one option I was considering come to life...

So, for your room, which again is awesome, do you feel like having it be devoid of natural light is a good choice? Do you enjoy the darkness of the room all the time?

Again, just curious and not a critique in any way. I would love to visit and hang out in there (I'd probably never leave). Kudos to you.

Jamhead,

First thanks for the complements!

Our goal in the WI HT was the same as our TX HT. The room was never meant to be fancy and/or a hang out room. It was meant specifically to walk in listen and/or watch, then get up and leave.

The TX HT really achieved that, so that was our goal once again with this project, however I wanted to improve upon it. We had a super flat black painted screen wall and ceiling, however it did reflect. Our solution in the WI HT, was to use Black Velvet on the screen wall and ceiling. The ceiling was quite a project. We ended up making individual panels and velcroing them to small wooden strips so that there was a small void below the joists. The angled walls made these panel that much more challenging. There is zero reflection.

The other improvement was acoustically. You have read about the angled walls (Thanks Flint). This made the framing challenging due to a room within a room build. We also did not sheetrock the front wall and just put the velvet panels up, so that the front wall is dead. The angled walls left us with great bass traps in all 4 of the corners. Each one is a different size, but large voids filled with insulation.

We were very happy with the neutral gray walls, so we used the same color in WI.

When it comes to my music listening one of my problems in TX was the lack of very dim lighting. We achieved that in WI. So when I want to listen seriously to music, and zone out, I want it dim even though most of the times I will have my eyes closed. To me this is very relaxing and soothing. The blank screen in front of me when listening to music has never really bothered me. If I want an environment with natural light and things happening around me, the living room system satisfies that.

It is great to hear about your room, I wish others on here would do the same!

Not having natural light in our room is the only way we wanted it, so it was a great choice for us.

Yes, we enjoy the darkness of the room when we are in it, like I said that was the result we wanted.

Visit anytime, but you will have to leave......................sometime!

One other thing you could explore is using a computer with screensaver or such, Project pleasing photos on the screen and let it scroll through the images until you turn it off again. Sun sets, Autumn Trees, and such.

If I make a trip into WI, I will bring my mic and measuring tools on the computer for Flint.

If I did that, I would put a photo of a perfect reflection of the room from the TV's point of view on the TV, so it looked like a mirror. Maybe add a hot chick or some odd item randomly placed in the room which isn't there regularly. That way I would be playing with reality and sometimes mess with the minds of my guests.

My remote is programmed so that when I press the CD-Audio icon that, in addition to the input and surround settings, it will have the preamp switch the video output to a 17" computer monitor I have mounted next to my preamp behind the couch so I can control the disc player. My preamp has two HDMI outputs which are controllable as the main video output via remote control.

I want zero distractions at all, but especially in my field of view when I listen to music. However, sometimes I need the display to control the CD player, which is a BluRay player supporting SACD, if I insert a BD-Audio or SACD disc.

If I did that, I would put a photo of a perfect reflection of the room from the TV's point of view on the TV, so it looked like a mirror. Maybe add a hot chick or some odd item randomly placed in the room which isn't there regularly. That way I would be playing with reality and sometimes mess with the minds of my guests.

I want to sit in the same chair as the hot chick so it looks like she is sitting on my lap.

Back