• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Heeman - WI Basement HT Build

IMG_2402.JPG IMG_2401.JPG

Not the best pic's however we finished boxing in the duct work.

I had some slap echo issues and I know that a bunch of you here would add diffusion to the rear wall, however I don't have any diffusion, so I hung 2 absorption panels and it made a HUGE difference, for the better!

You can tell that we are using the room, sorry for the mess!

Is the room too dead now?

Here's how I can tell right when I walk into a room which is over-treated with absorption: When I walk through the door into the room, I immediately get a sense of the room sucking air out of my body and ears, talking is strange because I cannot hear myself very well (similar to when putting in earplugs), and I feel just a little icky in my chest and tummy, like I ate something bad which isn't going to make me sick, but I know it was a mistake.

That said, for surround sound content a dead room tends to be perfectly fine because the audio engineers tend to add enough ambience to the rear channels to make everything appear normal to your brain. It is with stereo music that a too dead room can mess with you a bit, kinda like wearing closed-back headphones.

No, not to dead at all.

The Stereo listening is the best it has been, the harshness is mostly gone.

...When I walk through the door into the room, I immediately get a sense of the room sucking air out of my body and ears, talking is strange because I cannot hear myself very well ...

God I love that speaker! I still have fond memories when I got to audition a pair in my home back in 2008. I have a few things to run past you that might make them more enjoyable, we'll chat later.

After installing the 60 lb Monolith 3 channel, it was about time to do some cable management.

The Monolith and the Halo are on separate dedicated circuits.

The old Parasounds needed ground busters to eliminate hum. The Monolith is dead quite.

IMG_2434.JPG

Last edited:
Price/Value................

Made in the U.S.A.

This amp is for the Center and Rear Speakers.

Made in the U.S.A.
"Designed and Engineered in the U.S.A."

Not that that should matter - I guess - unless it would make America bigly greater again if it were made in the U.S.A.

Jeff

ps. I know, I know. I'm being a dick again. It's too easy. Congrats on the new gear Keith!

Better than somewhere else like Asia......

Being a Dick just comes naturally to some of us?

I often wonder if it is against state law in Texas to print "made in the USA" on anything made here. I imagine the law insists it says, "Made in Texas which is currently choosing to be in the USA."

Not that that should matter - I guess - unless it would make America bigly greater again if it were made in the U.S.A.

Jeff

ps. I know, I know. I'm being a dick again. It's too easy. Congrats on the new gear Keith!

Koss is Made in Milwaukee ! Yes messing with Jeff. LoL.

Koss is Made in Milwaukee ! Yes messing with Jeff. LoL.
The neat thing is that, as far as I know, everything that went into the Koss CM series of speakers was designed, engineered, (grown), and made in the USA. Classic craftsmanship!

Unfortunately the Koss Speaker Company went belly-up a number of years ago - and all of their records, design manuals, blueprints, etc. were thrown in the trash before I could protect any of it. The really sad thing is that six months before they were destroyed I was on the phone to their lawyer pleading for access to it. He turned me down saying it was too valuable. Too valuable to protect from the scrap heap!

While I've not had any success to date, I'm still holding out hope that some employees may have surreptitiously spirited away some copies - much like happened in the late '50s with the Avro Arrow program when everything (including fully- functional aircraft) were ordered destroyed when the program was cancelled. And yes, I am comparing the travesty of Koss-destroyed documents to what happened with the Arrow's. Great accomplishments like those deserve better - for history's sake.

Jeff

Jeff

Dear Dick:

I don't know where the "Designed and Engineered in the U.S.A" copy came from, but rest assured, the amp is actually manufactured in Montebello, CA too. Now technically California might not be "in the USA" much longer if we decide to go through with succession from the U.S., which I'd be perfectly happy with. Then the amp would say, "Designed, Engineered, and manufactured in California", which sounds sexier anyway in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Dear Dick:

I don't know where the "Designed and Engineered in the U.S.A" copy came from, but rest assured, the amp is actually manufactured in Montebello, CA too. Now technically California might not be "in the USA" much longer if we decide to go through with succession from the U.S., which I'd be perfectly happy with. Then the amp would say, "Designed, Engineered, and manufactured in California", which sounds sexier anyway in my opinion. :thumbsup:
That's Mr. Penis Head to you bub!

ps. Thanks for the elucidating clarification

Is it bigger on the inside than on the outside?
--- I think so!

Is it louder on the inside than on the outside?
--- What? I didn't hear you.

Is it Nirvana in Wisconsin?
--- All indications point to yes!!!

Is the bass performance ideal?
--- Measurements say "absolutely," and listening tests cause orgasms!!!!

Can two nerds spend hours working to tweak, tune, and perfect the subs after downing a bottle of Scotch and still get great results?
--- Ummm.... I think so, but we'll have to confirm that in the cold, harsh, hung-over light of a new day.

Back