• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Helping My Boss with HT - Advice, suggestions, welcome

AndySTL said:
Randy said:
My advice to you guys is this: Don't waste a bunch of your time with people like this. Make absolutely sure your friends are going to listen to your advice and take your suggestions before you go any further than "Panasonic makes good Plasma's."

I have had the same thing happen to me a number of times. I invested hours into reseach, provided them with reviews, compared specs, and actually scouted to find them the best price... Only to hear "Oh, we just went to Sears and bought a TV and HTIB last night".

"We don't need all that fancy stuff like you have" or "We don't have your ear", have become all too familiar to me and quite honestly I am really reluctant to help most people that ask. I just went through the exact same thing with a buddy of mine that wants a projector and screen at his bar. He asked me for help, I asked him what he wanted and started to explain his options, like saving money with a DIY screen & spending the savings on a better projector, and he made some comment like "Well I can just buy a screen from Best Buy and it will be fine, we don't need anything good".

I told him best of luck with the guys at BB and they can help you install it too.

I agree and think this is good advice.

Mz, since your friend was saying from the beginning that they didn't care about sound, you probably saved yourself a bunch of frustration of explaining the benefits to decent speakers. Plus, now you don't have to worry about feeling uncomfortable if the TV or HTIB have any issues down the road. Let the Blue Shirts take care of people like this!

Well it is my boss so they can get the stuff off Amazon save some money and I will set it up when they get it all.

I still get points for saving them $500.

Sorry to hear that Jeff. My neighbor was in a similar situation when he finished his basement. I had some Polk speakers that were decent, that I offered to sell at about 1/3 of the cost of what I paid for them, and he ended up getting a sound bar. You can lead a horse to water....

No good deed goes unpunished. Besides, the sales persons a Best Try know what's going on, just don't ask them to find their ass in a lit room. And for Christ sake, don't ask them where the SACDs are.

Rope

Concerning incompatence at Best Buy........

I was going to ask them to price match the Samsung Plasma I just bought. BB price 1399.99...........Conns 1199.99 with free 3D Glasses.

However, I went there yesterday at lunch prior to purchasing from Conns and spoke to the associate in the TV Section. Ask a couple of simple basic questions about the Samsung Plasma Series and the Panasonic Series (I was basically setting him up). Useless as a screen door in a submarine!!!!

I decided to give the business to the company that had the lowest price, at that salesman, not super knowledgeable, at least was a no pressure, nice guy.

:text-threadjacked:

And here we go again. My Boss wants me to come by and look at his house next weekend as it may be a possible. Hometheater setup.

Maximo said:
And here we go again. My Boss wants me to come by and look at his house next weekend as it may be a possible. Hometheater setup.

I know of a HTIB you can start with and save yourself some time.

Helping someone just to do it will pay you back in the long run way more that any money you might have made. Have fun and good luck

Best Buy is one thing but stay far far away from the "Geek squad" They now are pushing TV calibration on you when you buy a tv. They said the "geek squad" would do it. I just said no.

My questions would be "What are they going to do for this calibration?" and "Are they ISF certifed?". Last time I asked one of their TV experts about ISF calibraion he had no idea what I was talking about.

Ok, I think I might have more luck than mzpro on this one. My boss told me he already has soe gear. Specifically a Valodyne sub, an Adcom two channel amp and an Adcom three channel amp. He wan't a new Adcom prepro, display and 5 speakers. We might be in for some fun. Right now I am looking at an Adcom GTP-860.

Edit: Ok, after a little research it doesn't look like adcom offers anything "current" so unless he wants to spend $970 on a used GTP-870 I am back at square one. I haven't been given a budget yet. I am headed to his place this weekend. Suggestions on preamps?

Maximo said:
Ok, I think I might have more luck than mzpro on this one. My boss told me he already has soe gear. Specifically a Valodyne sub, an Adcom two channel amp and an Adcom three channel amp. He wan't a new Adcom prepro, display and 5 speakers. We might be in for some fun. Right now I am looking at an Adcom GTP-860.

Edit: Ok, after a little research it doesn't look like adcom offers anything "current" so unless he wants to spend $970 on a used GTP-870 I am back at square one. I haven't been given a budget yet. I am headed to his place this weekend. Suggestions on preamps?

Sorry no pre-amp suggestions but congrats on getting what looks like a decent and fun situation to start with.

Sure beats what I had to deal with.

This guy is no audiophile. I am thinking he would be best served wit han Onkyo TX-NR709 and save the rest of his budget on speakers and display.

Did we ever decide was the better LCD's were these days?

Well if he would be willing to swing 1500 bucks I would pick the Marantz AV 7005. Probably one of the best bang for the buck pre/pro's out there right now.

L_AV7005_Black_D.png

^ :text-+1: I just scored an open box deal from Onecall too that was flawless. Also because of this I am selling my Onkyo 5507 (sorry about the shameless plugs) It's in pristine condition and I'd let it go a bit cheaper for a forum member than on ebay... ;)

Back