• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Helping My Boss with HT - Advice, suggestions, welcome

Re: Helping My Boss - Advice, suggestions, opinions welcome

AndySTL said:
For the price listed here, these speakers kick serious butt. I'd give these a hard look. I have a pair in my office and I love them. These must be leftover stock, because they are not in the current lineup (and I assume the reason for the lower price). They made the Rti-x line for 5 years and they have updated them to the RTiA-x line. I haven't heard the newer ones but they look to have the same or similar drivers in an updated cabinet.

Polk RTi-4
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Performance-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0000E2XEB

This is the comparable newer model RTi A1
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Cherry/dp/B000V2UBSI/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Those look interesting.

On a separate note - thanks to Andy, Max and Orbison but I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of input by other fellow forum members. I see guys come on here asking about TV's, receivers etc and get tons of input. I have a project where I could really use opinions and thoughts to help out and get very little feedback. I thought helping each other out was one of the reasons for this forum but perhaps I misunderstood.

Thanks again to Max, Andy and Orbison your input has at least given me a couple things to review.

mzpro,

Some of my suggestions:

Toshiba - Blu Ray - BDX2150 - $79

TV - Look for a left over 720P to save some major $$$, I saw a 50" for $650 last night in Conns.

Speakers - Everyone raves about the Paradigm Titans and Mini-Monitors. Go used on e-bay and save a ton.

Receiver - look at newegg or jr music world for the best deal. I bet you could find one like this http://www.jr.com/onkyo/pe/ONK_TXNR509/

Have a blast, spending other peoples money and making them happy is a great thing! :eusa-clap:

I think the threads that get the most advice are specific questions about specific models... e.g. "Should I buy TV model X?" Yours is still in the general planning stage, so it's harder to come up with specific recommendations. Start narrowing down to detailed product lists, and maybe we'll have more to say, but complaining about lack of response isn't probably the best way to encourage further response. :laughing:

I'd suggest a sony bdp-s380 - ~$100 new, or $72 refurb from amazon. An Onkyo as has been mentioned, something around $300 I would guess. No clue about TVs, pick a LED of the size they want; how wide is that space? What's the max tv size that will fit? Can it be on a stand rather than mounted to that wall/crossboard?

Decide on those things, and spend the rest on speakers. Hard to rec specifics though without knowing about space requirements, bookshelves vs towers, etc.

Be more specific and you'll get more advice.

USed speakers are a fantastically safe bet. Your "client" could get a ton more speak for the money if he is willing to buy off of craigslist. Where in ohio? Would that be Columbus craigslist?

I'll look for you! I love deals on CL.

I would love to get this guy into a series 3 paradigm setup with a nice sub.

Maximo said:
USed speakers are a fantastically safe bet. Your "client" could get a ton more speak for the money if he is willing to buy off of craigslist. Where in ohio? Would that be Columbus craigslist?

Personally for myself, I hardly buy any new audio equipment. The used deals are soooo much better. However, when I suggest to other people that they consider used equipment, I rarely hear anyone too excited about that. I guess it takes a certain perspective to accept that.

Mz, if you can convince this guy that used is a a good option, then I think this could be really fun to search for hidden gems!

More questions, MZ - are those cabinets beside the proposed TV location deep enough for a receiver? Probably need 18"+/-

Is there a cable outlet near there for the cable box?

Also, may need to budget for TV mount, cables, surge supp., universal remote (possibly), speaker stands or wall mount hardware, etc.

Orbison said:
More questions, MZ - are those cabinets beside the proposed TV location deep enough for a receiver? Probably need 18"+/-

Is there a cable outlet near there for the cable box?

Also, may need to budget for TV mount, cables, surge supp., universal remote (possibly), speaker stands or wall mount hardware, etc.

Yeah the cabinets are deep enough he already has an old receiver and CD player in there.

He has to call his cable provider to get wired for that room - there has never been a TV there.

And I will have to include some cables and "accessories". (I would definitely like to include a Harmony One)

Maximo said:

I'm not sure how he will react to used speakers, I did bring it up and he was not enthusiastic but I have a call into to him to discuss in more detail. I would like to go that route so we will see. I live about 25 miles west of Cleveland.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest way out but trying to get the balance between quality and affordability. The Toshiba BD player heeman suggested is inexpensive but looking at user reviews it has a number of problems especially with streaming which they kept mentioning they wanted. These are very intelligent people but very unknowledgeable when it comes to electronics, by their own admission.

In case anyone missed it this is my initial equipment thought w/o speakers

Samsung UN46D6300 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV - $1100

Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Channel Network THX Certified A/V Receiver - $380

Samsung BD-D6700 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - $190

I think the disc player and TV would integrate good together, there are features Samsung offers that the two together seem to enhance.

I'm going to look for less expensive displays today but I don't think the above is out of line. I think the Onkyo 609 is a keeper, the one piece I am pretty dedicated to at this time.

I apologize for the pushy remark looking for responses but because this is for my boss and her husband I'm a bit nervous. If it was for me or even a close friend I'd have more confidence in my planning and decisions for this project and plow ahead.

I am gonna ask the guy if he can increase his budget by about $500 - it would give me a bit more breathing room.

Have you thought about taking your boss to an A/V store in the area to pick out speakers during holiday sales? Maybe a 5.1 package deal? Then he could get an idea of the sound & appearance he wanted at his price point. He (and you) might be more comfortable with the choice that way as opposed to you picking them out by yourself. It would also allow him to better understand the sound quality vs price on a relatively low cost speaker setup. Just a thought........

Orbison said:
Have you thought about taking your boss to an A/V store in the area to pick out speakers during holiday sales? Maybe a 5.1 package deal? Then he could get an idea of the sound & appearance he wanted at his price point. He (and you) might be more comfortable with the choice that way as opposed to you picking them out by yourself. It would also allow him to better understand the sound quality vs price on a relatively low cost speaker setup. Just a thought........

And a good one - thanks.

I'll talk with him about it later today when he calls.

I am telling you this is THE TIME to buy a tv. Have him buy online and he can save some cash next weekend.

I also like your idea of mating the tv and bd player. Big fan of that.

Aperions ar good. So are axioms.

Edit: I copied the cart for a 5.1 system I put together. Hoipe you can decipher it.

Remove Pair Millennia M3 Bookshelves
Color: Boston Cherry $368.00 USD $368.00 USD
Remove Pair Millennia M3 Bookshelves
Color: Boston Cherry $368.00 USD $368.00 USD
Remove VP100 Center
Color: Boston Cherry $274.00 USD $274.00 USD
Remove EP125 Powered Subwoofer
Color: Boston Cherry $397.00 USD $397.00 USD
Subtotal $1,407.00 USD
Home Theater Discount
(5% discount if we ship 5 items over $30.00 USD to you at one time) $70.35 USD

Print Shopping Cart Shipping FREE
Total
$1,336.65 USD

Well guys wouldn't you know. I just got off the phone with them and they just happened to stop by a BB today.

They decided on the TV Samsung UN55D6000 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV and found a Samsung HTIB Samsung Electronics HT-D6500W Home Theater System they want. It has wireless surrounds. The TV is fine but I was a bit thrown by the HTIB. Bill explained to me that actually he didn't feel he would notice a difference in sound ("Jeff we don't have the ear you do"). Sounds to me he may have gotten ambushed at BB.

Don't you just love it when people ask for your help and advice, you take the time to meet and assess the situation, do research and get great advice from your fellow forum members and then get thrown on your ass by BB?

I sure would like to give him a better HT but actually I'm not upset. This will take any pressure off me and they get what they think they want which is the real goal. And if down the line they are dissatisfied I have nothing to do with it.

All I have to deal with is the setup which shouldn't be bad especially with wireless surrounds.

Thanks guys and any ideas how I might talk him out of the HTIB?

Can someone post a face palm smiley for me since I cannot from my iPhone.... :doh:

Sorry to hear they wasted your time MZ

Batman said:
Can someone post a face palm smiley for me since I cannot from my iPhone....

Sorry to hear they wasted your time MZ

They didn't buy any of it yet and I checked on Amazon and I can get them what they want for $425 cheaper so not a total loss.

BB also wanted to sell them a Harmony One for $150 for a setup like that. I told them I can get a lower priced Harmony remote that will more than meet their needs for a lot less. Probably the Harmony 650.

My advice to you guys is this: Don't waste a bunch of your time with people like this. Make absolutely sure your friends are going to listen to your advice and take your suggestions before you go any further than "Panasonic makes good Plasma's."

I have had the same thing happen to me a number of times. I invested hours into reseach, provided them with reviews, compared specs, and actually scouted to find them the best price... Only to hear "Oh, we just went to Sears and bought a TV and HTIB last night".

"We don't need all that fancy stuff like you have" or "We don't have your ear", have become all too familiar to me and quite honestly I am really reluctant to help most people that ask. I just went through the exact same thing with a buddy of mine that wants a projector and screen at his bar. He asked me for help, I asked him what he wanted and started to explain his options, like saving money with a DIY screen & spending the savings on a better projector, and he made some comment like "Well I can just buy a screen from Best Buy and it will be fine, we don't need anything good".

I told him best of luck with the guys at BB and they can help you install it too.

Randy said:
My advice to you guys is this: Don't waste a bunch of your time with people like this. Make absolutely sure your friends are going to listen to your advice and take your suggestions before you go any further than "Panasonic makes good Plasma's."

I have had the same thing happen to me a number of times. I invested hours into reseach, provided them with reviews, compared specs, and actually scouted to find them the best price... Only to hear "Oh, we just went to Sears and bought a TV and HTIB last night".

"We don't need all that fancy stuff like you have" or "We don't have your ear", have become all too familiar to me and quite honestly I am really reluctant to help most people that ask. I just went through the exact same thing with a buddy of mine that wants a projector and screen at his bar. He asked me for help, I asked him what he wanted and started to explain his options, like saving money with a DIY screen & spending the savings on a better projector, and he made some comment like "Well I can just buy a screen from Best Buy and it will be fine, we don't need anything good".

I told him best of luck with the guys at BB and they can help you install it too.

I agree and think this is good advice.

Mz, since your friend was saying from the beginning that they didn't care about sound, you probably saved yourself a bunch of frustration of explaining the benefits to decent speakers. Plus, now you don't have to worry about feeling uncomfortable if the TV or HTIB have any issues down the road. Let the Blue Shirts take care of people like this!

Back