• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Helping My Boss with HT - Advice, suggestions, welcome

Ok, so call me stupid but can someone please explain to me the inherent performance improvement my boss will incurr by going with the Marantz over the Onkyo? I am serious here I really want to know. BTW he will be needing an RF remote. Obvisouly Harmony.

Without a lengthy comparison of features and such, I couldn't tell you. I just think the Marantz is sexy. LOL

Probably not much, although the build quality will probably be better on the Marantz than the Onkyo, especially if we are talking a mid to lower range Onkyo.

Update. He actually want to go with the Onkyo to power everythign and not likely to use the adcom stuff. I am certain that I can help him find a good home :happy-smileygiantred:

Anyway, in talking about speakers he wants invisible as possible. So likely inwalls all the way around. Still need to visit his house this weekend and see how hard it will be.

Need a good cheap place to get some in-walls. Boss' desire is invisible as possible. Might be something else. But for now I need to go pre-armed with some good deals on inwalls. No budget yet. BTW I see that svs took down their art line.

So based on what I know I set the budget at around $4000. Here is how I broke it up

Klipsch R-2502-W (Ea.) $299.00 x 3 = $897.00
In-wall LCR Speaker (#92212)

Klipsch CDT-2650-C (Ea) $249.00 x 2 = $498.00
In-ceiling Loudspeaker (#90782)

Onkyo TX-NR709 = $556.59
7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver (#109635)

LG 55LW6500 = $1,899.00
55-inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Ready LED LCD HDTV (#110415)

LG BD670 = $149.00
3D Blu-ray Disc Player (#109728)

Subtotal: $3,999.59
(Estimated delivery 4 to 7 business days) Delivery: $0.00
Calculated at Checkout (Sales tax applies in ID, WA or WV) Tax: $0.00

Order Total:
$3,999.59

The tv might be a dud because no one has it anymore. So I might need to pick a deferent set. Also because it is out of stock I don't think the price is competative.

Buy.com has a 64" LG for less than that, I got the email this morning. It is a different series though. But the price included the bd player and glasses...

Crap now I'm thinking it was a Samsung, I deleted the email earlier. I wish you had posted this earlier I would've put up a link. I'm having trouble finding the deal on the mobile site via iPhone...

that's ok. this guy is not in a hurry. Even though I told him this is THE time to buy tvs.

What I am worried about is 120hz vs 240hz. I am pushing him to go for 240hz in fear of 120hz soap opera effect. Is this stil lan issue? I think it is because I just saw it on a 120hz Sharp Quattron.

Edit: Update on tv.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889005092

Maximo said:
that's ok. this guy is not in a hurry. Even though I told him this is THE time to buy tvs.

What I am worried about is 120hz vs 240hz. I am pushing him to go for 240hz in fear of 120hz soap opera effect. Is this stil lan issue? I think it is because I just saw it on a 120hz Sharp Quattron.

Edit: Update on tv.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889005092

I have to ask - why LG?

I think Samsung or Panasonic would be better. You can definitely get a comparable Samsung for less.

I don't have much confidence in LG, thought they were more of a budget/discount brand

I believe they're considered an upper tier brand but the reliability is hit or miss more so than other brands. Perhaps the owner is hung up on LG? I had a guy recently that was hung up on Sharp because he already had one which he liked. LG is definitely a brand that you gotta steal though on price there are too many good deals on better brands...IMO

Maximo said:

This is purely my personal opinion but I as I said before I would look at Samsung and Panasonic, their prices are competitive. for example:

Samsung D6000

I just don't like the idea of "going cheap" on the display and prefer to stick with the more "established" brands

I see Vizio as a "discount" brand. Of course I thought the same about LG before you said yours is very good so what do I know. :laughing:

Maximo said:
You rather have a smasung tv at 120 hz than a Vizio at 240 hz?

I think PQ has more to do with the overall design & implementation than a simple speed comparison. A higher speed doesn't guarantee a better picture. For instance, if a set with a higher speed can't be adjusted for accurate color and the other set can, what's your priority? Or if you can't tell the difference in speed when watching a movie, why not base a choice on color accuracy & other features.

Priority is best picture, build quality, and longevity. Price should take a backseat. Don't need a tv going out on my boss.

Maximo said:
You rather have a smasung tv at 120 hz than a Vizio at 240 hz?

I honestly think the difference is negligible and probably would not make that spec a defining criteria when buying a TV.

The only thing I am worried about is soap opera effect. How do I avoid this on a 120hz tv?

Turn it off, that effect is usually the result of a setting on the tv.

Back