• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HTIP - Home Theater In Progress

The Mackies came with a 6' power cord. The speaker has a standard IEC connector so buying/making power cables is no problem.

I ran an extension cord from the rack to the middle of the top of the cabinet. I put a 4 plug Tripplite isobar surge supressor up there. I bought two 25 foot IEC power cables from monoprice and ran those from the surge suppressor on the cabinet to each speaker.

I have two empty outlets on the surge suppressor that I can use for... whatever... lights, a 2 channel amp for the rear surrounds...

I was worried that running the power and audio cables so close to one another and parallel would cause some noise. That hasn't been a problem at all. That said I am using tri-shielded RG6 cables for all of the audio interconnects.

Towen7 said:
March28-10.jpg
My "bachelor-too-much-to-dust" gene just twitched... ;)

Well.... I think I'm done for a while. All I plan to do over the next few weeks is program the remote control. I'll have more to post about in a couple of months because I'm sure I'll place absorbers on the left and right walls and the ceiling but I want to get some viewing/listening time in before I place any acoustic treatments. Also, I'm considering loosing the single table behind the seating in favor of three smaller pub tables. Another option is to build a riser and put a (non reclining) sofa or a pair of love seats back there. I want to see how we actually use the space before I do either.

I want to publicly thank everyone for their input but especially Batman for helping me find the right equipment and yromj for technical support.

March29-2.jpg

March29.jpg

March29-3.jpg

Very, very nice. That's really turned into a great looking room, with a lot of thought put into it. Yeah, now time to ENJOY!

DIYer said:
Question, is the sweet spot between the seats?

I calibrated the levels with the mic in the front left seat, and entered the speaker distances from that spot as well. I know that technically this isn't 100% accurate because of the difference in distance between me and the left and right speakers don't form a perfect triangle, but this is not intended to be a critical music listening space.

I don't do critical listening.

Thanks all for the compliments. The pics are a little misleading as the room is not that deep. I used a very wide angle lens to get as much as possible in a single pic. I can't wait to host a GTG so you can see it for yourself and offer suggestions for improvements.

It really looks beautiful T7!!! You should be very proud... I love how it has turned out to this point.

That's a mighty fine room there T. I will most certainly have to come see this and enjoy a film......then we can go get in trouble and I'll be banned. Congrats my friend, well deserved.

What's happening to our posts?

T7 asked a question about using cabinet space for bass traps. Responses by Flint & myself are missing in addition to T7's question & 2 replies. Total of 5 or 6 posts missing!

Orbison said:

T7 asked a question about using cabinet space for bass traps. Responses by Flint & myself are missing in addition to T7's question & 2 replies. Total of 5 or 6 posts missing!

Orbison, that is under the Acoustic Thread :eek:bscene-buttred:

Orbison said:

You are here ----------------------------------------->.

Rope

Help! I've got Alzheimers and I'm lost!

Got confused because T7 posted the same picture in both sections, I guess.

Orbison said:
Help! I've got Alzheimers and I'm lost!

Got confused because T7 posted the same picture in both sections, I guess.

We will keep you straight if we can?????? :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener: :scared-yipes:

Rope said:
Orbison said:

You are here ----------------------------------------->.

Rope
SPLURRRFFFF!!!! :laughing-rolling:

A beautiful room, T7! :text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

AndySTL said:
Yes, excellent indeed! Let's see some screen shots from that projector!

Okay. It took me a minute to figure out a good way to do it but here you go. Despicable Me by the JVC DLA-HD250 on a 110" Elite screen using a 45' HDMI cable from monoprice.

Just in case anyone is wondering... these are photographs, not screen grabs. If I hadn't taken them myself I'd question it too. Nikon D90, Nikkor 35mm, f4 at 1/6th, remote shutter release, on a tripod, approx 17 feet from screen, cropped, otherwise untouched.

projector.jpg

projector-2.jpg

projector-3.jpg

projector-4.jpg

projector-5.jpg

Back