• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HTIP - Home Theater In Progress

Towen, looks good man! Out of curiosity, what are the room dimensions? Sorry, if I overlooked them...

The room is roughly 19x17.

Finally some action on the cabinets to report.

My carpenter buddy came by this morning and added the partition and built the doors. The good news is that he was able to source the ash wood for a reasonable price. So staining to match is back on the list of finish considerations. There are many scratches and dings on the cabinets and wainscoting throughout the room that need to be fixed or covered up. I'm going to get quotes to refinish all of the wood in a darker stain as well as paint. My carpenter friend has some excellent contacts and they'll give me all the pros and cons.

All the gear has been removed and will probably stay that way until the cabinets are finished.

CabRehab.jpg

Towen7 said:
The good news is...
Is there bad news to go along with this?

Towen7 said:
All the gear has been removed and will probably stay that way until the cabinets are finished.
You're systemless? :scared-eek: OMG how can you stand it?

Zing said:
Towen7 said:
The good news is...
Is there bad news to go along with this?

The "bad news" is that I since I can stain the new wood to match the old, the decision on what to do has gotten tougher. I want darker wood but something in me says it'w wrong to paint. Re-staining can get messy and expensive and there's always the possibility that it'll look like crap.

Towen7 said:
Zing said:
You're systemless? :scared-eek: OMG how can you stand it?

Well.. I still have the 3.1 living room system. There's a BD player and a Roku and since one of the Xboxes is in that room I can also stream all of my music and the videos from my PC. But yeah... it's kind of a bummer.

I met with the painter this morning. The price was reasonable so I'm going to have himstrip/stain all of the wood to match the dark walnut color of the speaker stands. I'm thrilled that I can get the color I want without painting over the grain of the wood. It should be done in the next couple of weeks.

:banana-rock:

Now I need to decide on what color to paint the drywall ans wether to paint the ceiling.

Including the wainscoting too? Can you post a closeup pic of the stands? I'd toy around with painting the flat area of the ceiling a deep flat black and see if that helps with unwanted light/reflections from the screen and for the walls go with a taupe/grey/tanish type color in flat scrubbable enamel to complement the dark stain...this is exciting, and the re-staining is the direction I wanted to see you go if the estimate was an acceptable one...when is the GTG? :)

Towen7 said:
I met with the painter this morning. The price was reasonable so I'm going to have himstrip/stain all of the wood to match the dark walnut color of the speaker stands. I'm thrilled that I can get the color I want without painting over the grain of the wood. It should be done in the next couple of weeks.

:banana-rock:

Now I need to decide on what color to paint the drywall ans wether to paint the ceiling.

Even if you leave it white I would recommend repainting the ceiling too. A fresh paint job on a ceiling will make your room pop. We just repainted our entire house and the ceilings were a big part of the effect even though we just repainted them with fresh ceiling paint.

Batman said:
Including the wainscoting too? Can you post a closeup pic of the stands? ...when is the GTG? :)

I'm busy this July so maybe sometime in the early fall when It'll still be warm enough to hit the pool.

Yes, I'm having the wainscoting and the crown molding refinished. Here is a shot where I tried to show the colors of the existing wood background)and the desired color of my speaker stand (foreground). It looks like I lit it poorly but I was trying to show the variation in colors with shadows.

Stand.jpg

Maximo said:
towen7 said:

Even if you leave it white I would recommend repainting the ceiling too. A fresh paint job on a ceiling will make your room pop. We just repainted our entire house and the ceilings were a big part of the effect even though we just repainted them with fresh ceiling paint.

I haven't given much thought to ceiling color and probably wont decide until after I get the stain finished. Thanks for the tip though!

Thanks.

I got the samples back from the stain/paint guy but the color wasn't quite right. It was about half way between what I have and what I want. I was hoping to have it done by next weekend, but that is looking unlikely.

Oh... I've decided to paint the ceiling a deep, flat black. The walls above the wainscoting will be a rich red (unless I change my mind... again).

Towen7 said:
Oh... I've decided to paint the ceiling a deep, flat black. The walls above the wainscoting will be a rich red (unless I change my mind... again).
You're allowed. It's a woman's perogative. :teasing-neener:

I looked at that because I like lawdog's room a lot. Like a lot of things in his space, its more than I can budget right now.

You could paint the ceiling sky blue for now and add the clouds and stars (glow in the dark paint) later.

Another guy late to the party.

I'm drooling over how much thought and work you have put into ths project.

Hat's off, my friend.

Back