• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HTIP - Home Theater In Progress

Lovin' it!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

Please no more poor excuses for not having many pics... :handgestures-thumbdown:

Ha.

Speaking of ceiling fans... The one that was in the room had a 12" downrod than put the bottom of the fan 30" below the 10' ceiling. Leaving it there would require mounting the PJ too low for comfort. The problem was that nobody sells a ceiling fan downod shorter than 12", even though most fans come with a 4" rod. My only options were to buy a new fan or cut-down the one one I had. I used a pipe cutter to take about 9" off. Then I drilled matching holes for the support pin, security bolt, and ground screw and repainted the rod flat black.

New fan = $200. Chopping the support rod = free. Now the fan bottom is only 22" from the ceiling which gives me a lot more flexibility on PJ height.

I got home a little late after a long day at work so I didn't feel like doing any painting. I was happy to see that the the speaker mounts, Middle Atlantic rotating/pull-out rack, HDMI and power cables for the projector were all delivered today too. So at least I could get something done.

March15-5.jpg

Since the AM40 speaker mounts should be the easiest thing to complete I decided to put those up. A major problem that I knew I was going to have to deal with is that the right rear window is exactly where I want to put the surround speaker. With few reasonable choices I located the mount more toward the front. I added a few extra inches to accommodate a curtain rod. That posed another problem... My speakers are freaking HEAVY and there is no stud to support the bracket where I need it. I used some metal drywall anchors that claim to support 50 lbs. I decided to risk it since there are 4 mounting points on each bracket. I balanced a speaker on the bracket and happily it seems that it will work fine.

March15-3-2.jpg

March15-7.jpg

The bottom of the bracket is 6'6" from the floor. That's higher than I wanted because the bracket only angles down 7 degrees. Any lower though and I run the risk of bumping heads. This more forward position require me moving the seating up a tad. I wont know until I get the furniture back in place. This pic doesn't show the angle well, but there is just enough clearance for the speaker and the curtain rod. The speakers need to be screwed to the mounts. I wont do that until the paint is all finished so I'll post a better picture then.

March15-4-2.jpg

Here is a shot that compares the old stain to the new. It's a rather dramatic difference. The tone of the light in the room is much warmer now. That is due in part to painting over the white ceiling with brown.

March15.jpg

As I noted before I decided against black on the ceiling for now. But I was worried about how all of the black from the speakers and projector would look against the rest of the room. I decided to embrace the black and paint the can lights and AC vents to match. I think it looks good if I do say so myself.

March15-2.jpg

Those drywall anchors are interesting... might have to try those someday. I have plaster walls which are very crumbly, and the usual plastic anchors don't always work all that well.

Can you put some sort of thin wedges - shims maybe? - under the speaker that needs to tilt down more? As long as you're going to screw the speaker to the mount anyway, it would still be stable, and could give you a more optimal angle.

PaulyT said:
Can you put some sort of thin wedges - shims maybe? - under the speaker that needs to tilt down more? As long as you're going to screw the speaker to the mount anyway, it would still be stable, and could give you a more optimal angle.

Yeah. I've been thinking about how to do that. I'm also thinking about some sort of strap attached to the bracket and the top of the speaker to prevent it from tipping over.

What's the game plan for routing the speaker wire to that particular speaker?

Thats a problem. I could easily run the power and audio cables to the left surround through the wall The right surround however is mounted on an exterior wall and there is to access to the top plate because of the roof. So what I'm going to do is run power and audio cables through a thin plastic channel attached to and painted to match the wall. It should fit in the space between where the ceiling starts to slope and the wood moulding. I'm hoping that it won't be too ugly.

Lookin' Sweet...............Nice Job!!!

What speakers will be mounted on the AM-40 Stands? I am also considering some kind of wedge to give mine a little more downward angle also. I had to make the same decision about a little forward or back quite a bit. Chose back because this is a feakin' living area not a dedicated room.

Keep up the good work! :eusa-clap:

I haven't posted on this thread but I have been following it. That is one sweet looking room. I'm jealous. How long until you think it will be completely done? Can't wait to see the final pics.

PaulyT said:
Those drywall anchors are interesting... might have to try those someday. I have plaster walls which are very crumbly, and the usual plastic anchors don't always work all that well.

Those come in plastic in different sizes too Pauly. It's all I. Use normally, and when it comes time to repair the hole if moving something I countersink the anchor so there is something in the hole and skim a coat on drywall mud on it. Works like a charm, and they work like a charm.

Lookin good T, can't wait to see the stain.

Towen7 said:
So what I'm going to do is run power and audio cables through a thin plastic channel attached to and painted to match the wall. It should fit in the space between where the ceiling starts to slope and the wood moulding. I'm hoping that it won't be too ugly.
You can also get a speaker wire that's very wide but very flat, it just adheres to the wall and you paint over it, I think Parts Express offers it.

Ya, those anchors are awesome, I just started using them recently. They are what we used to hang my brothers speakers.

Botch said:
Towen7 said:
So what I'm going to do is run power and audio cables through a thin plastic channel attached to and painted to match the wall. It should fit in the space between where the ceiling starts to slope and the wood moulding. I'm hoping that it won't be too ugly.
You can also get a speaker wire that's very wide but very flat, it just adheres to the wall and you paint over it, I think Parts Express offers it.

That won't work for me because I'm using powered monitors. It seemed like a good idea at the time but they are a big PITA. Besides being stupid-big and stupid-heavy I need supply 120VAC as well as a RCA input from the preamp. I'm also leaving a path for speaker wire just in case the Mackies ever get replaced with passive speakers. I'm not complaining though because I love their sound and I got them at a very good price.

heeman said:
Lookin' Sweet...............Nice Job!!!

What speakers will be mounted on the AM-40 Stands? I am also considering some kind of wedge to give mine a little more downward angle also. I had to make the same decision about a little forward or back quite a bit. Chose back because this is a feakin' living area not a dedicated room.

Keep up the good work! :eusa-clap:

I'm using 5 Mackie HR-824 monitors for the L/R/C/ and surrounds. There is no way to mount another pair in the back for a 7 channel setup so... I'll probably pick up a pair of MR5s and lay them on their sides on top of the cabinet at the rear of the room. That'll have to wait until everything else is done.

AndySTL said:
I haven't posted on this thread but I have been following it. That is one sweet looking room. I'm jealous. How long until you think it will be completely done? Can't wait to see the final pics.

Thanks for the compliments.

Completely done?!?!

I don't think I'll ever be completely done. But I'm hoping to have the system at least up and running by the weekend. I have to go on a business trip most of next week so I'm hoping to have all the major stuff finished before then.

T7's Short Term to do list:
Paint three walls and the space behind the rear shelves
Finish mounting and secure the surround speakers
Buy, place and paint the cable channels for the surround speakers wiring
Wire the surround speakers to the pre amp
Wire everything else to the pre amp
Run 40' of HDMI and power cable through the wall and ceiling for the projector
Finish an art project (don't ask)
Buy, program, setup and learn a new universal remote scheme

I got the Middle Atlantic rack installed today. It was surprsingly easy and quick to assemble. It works great. Just to test it's strength I loaded it with my heavy Adcom amp (which isn't need in my setup) and everything else. Even extended fully, the rack is supporting the weight just fine. I even have enough room to put my network gear on the very top of the unit. The gear inside the rack at the moment...

OTA tuner
Xbox 360
BD player
Pre/Pro
UPS
Amp

March15-2-3.jpg

March15-3-3.jpg

March15-4-3.jpg

Back