• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HTIP - Home Theater In Progress

I like the cloud-scape a lot but not so much in my room. Frankly, if I had an extra $1,200 laying around (which is how much it would cost just for the glow-in-the-dark stars) I'd put it toward a new set of speakers, a new preamp, or a second sub.

I'd update the knobs on the cabinetry, it really makes a big difference. Lookin good T!

DIYer said:
Towen7 said:
if I had an extra $1,200 laying around (which is how much it would cost just for the glow-in-the-dark stars)
:scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2
http://www.glowforum.com/gallery/images.php

Thanks for the links. The company lawdog used does some pretty amazing work. They claim their paint shines brighter, lasts longer and is invisible with the lights on. Be that as it may (or may not) the cost is primarily the labor and the art. Anybody can paint dots on a ceiling. It takes an artist to make it look like real stars. I haven't seen his room in person but Lawdog and I had did have dinner and he said it was worth every penny. Their site says the average room is $1,200. Considering the quality that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

-B- said:
I'd update the knobs on the cabinetry, it really makes a big difference. Lookin good T!

I'm definitely going to replace the knobs but not until the staining is finished. I'm thinking either a brushed nickel or anodized aluminum. The aluminum may sound crazy but it'll work with some of the other things I have planned. We'll see.

Well T7, your room will just suck salty chocolate balls unless you have stars on the ceiling. That's really all we're trying to say.

Towen7 said:
-B- said:

I'm definitely going to replace the knobs but not until the staining is finished. I'm thinking either a brushed nickel or anodized aluminum. The aluminum may sound crazy but it'll work with some of the other things I have planned. We'll see.

That is right in tune with what I was thinking. Too bad I don't live in Houston, I know a thing or two about refinishing just about anything presented to me....though I'm known to work a little last minute!

-B- said:
Too bad I don't live in Houston, I know a thing or two about refinishing just about anything presented to me....though I'm known to work a little last minute!

Maybe one day someone will invent a means of moving people from one place to another. Something with the ability to transport several people (maybe even hundreds) thousands of miles, through the air. If that never happens, maybe we can look forward to moving smaller groups of people over the ground in metal boxes. One day... One day.

Towen7 said:
Maybe one day someone will invent a means of moving people from one place to another. Something with the ability to transport several people (maybe even hundreds) thousands of miles, through the air. If that never happens, maybe we can look forward to moving smaller groups of people over the ground in metal boxes. One day... One day.
You sound like a Star Trek fan.

Wait a minute, you have a collection of storm trooper helmet, pair of JBL speakers and now this... :think:

DIYer said:
Towen7 said:
You sound like a Star Trek fan.

Wait a minute, you have a collection of storm trooper helmet, pair of JBL speakers and now this... :think:
Its interesting that the transporter is essentially the only advance on the Star Trek series that hasn't been invented yet:
Communicator = Cellphone
Audio/Video "cassettes" = SD cards (ours are actually smaller)
Talking computers
There are iPads all over on Star Trek
Phasers/Photon torpedoes = not quite the same, but DARPA's working on some really interesting shit and any kid can blind an airline pilot with a hand-held unit.
Tricorders = laser thermometers, x-ray exciters, EKGs, etc.

A transporter... Really?

I was referring to an plane and then a car. I was implying that -B- could be here if he wanted to.

PaulyT said:
Well T7, your room will just suck salty chocolate balls unless you have stars on the ceiling. That's really all we're trying to say.

It's true. Better speakers and more subs are useless without things like stars, popcorn machines and consession stands. Get your priorities straight, will ya? :angry-tappingfoot:

Come and get my Salty chocalate balls, you just pop em in your mouth. - Chef (God that episode was friggin hilarious.)

btw Towen I got the humor you were implying and chuckled out loud.

Guy on my musician's forum goes by the moniker "Saul T. Nads"...

milpool said:
PaulyT said:

It's true. Better speakers and more subs are useless without things like stars, popcorn machines and consession stands. Get your priorities straight, will ya? :angry-tappingfoot:

:text-goodpost:

Batman said:
Towen7 said:
Maximo said:
I like it too. I would be tempted to mount the surround high on the top of the back cabinet pointing down.

Please let me know if you can refer me to a wall mount that can support these heavy-assed speakers and offers more than a few degrees of tilt.

This is prolly way too old to respond to, but, hey ain't been on in a while. Room looking good! and I like the sub!

These are what I am running for my rears and they are solid.

35300401.jpg

http://www.pinpointmounts-eshop.com/AM-40_Side_Clamping_Bookshelf_Speaker_Wall_Mount.html

I passed on those AMS-40 speaker mounts because ideally I'd find something with more than 7 degree of tilt. No luck so I ordered a pair. We'll see how they work out.

Things have been busy around the house but there is some progress to report on the room...

The painters finished all of the stain work in the middle of last week. I couldn't be any happier with the way they came out. I didn't think to take any pictures before I masked everything off to start painting. I decided on a medium brown on the walls and ceiling. I decided against black (for now) because I was worried about making the room too dark.

I have can lights in each ceiling corner. I bought new "eye ball" covers to allow me to use them like spotlights on the walls. The problem is they only come in white. I decided to paint the black to match the projector and rear speakers. I also painted the three AC vent covers in black. The projector is up (thanks to Batman for finding the mount) but it wont get wired until later this week when the paint is done and the rack and in-wall wiring are installed.

Sorry but I've been too busy to take pics.. well.. honestly my camera is inside the cabinets that have been masked off... :angry-banghead: here's a crappy one from my cell phone.

IMG00052-20110314-2029.jpg

Back