• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Joe Bonamassa

BOTCH! How could you fall for that?!?! :doh:

It couldn't have been any more obvious if he simply posted this picture!

ysklii.jpg

I actually like the bossanova guy, I'm just not quite the fan the Paul is; gotta save that for Knopfler and Steely Dan. :angelic-green:

Speaking of Kool Aid, my 2010 Macbook Air told me yesterday that I really needed to replace the battery NOW. I dropped it off at a fairly new place on my way home from work, they did a full diagnostic, confirmed the diagnosis and were able to order the battery immediately (the tech told me most batteries give up after 7 to 8K recharges, mine had gone over 13,000!). Apple shipped the battery Overnight, They got it today, replaced it, and I was able to pick it up after work tonight.
24 hours, $0 labor, $165 for the battery plus tax (hey, it's an Apple), and I'm back up and running.
Mmmm, koolaid! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Botch said:
I'm just not quite the fan the Paul is;
No one is. Not even Joe's parents.

But I understand. I actually really dig a track off of Different Shades of Blue. Just don't tell Paul. I wouldn't want him sending me the 12-hour extended edition Blu-ray of two-year-old Joe in diapers strumming a 4-string Hasbro guitar to a rerun of Scooby Doo playing in the background.

Yeah, I at least sipped on the Kool-Aid, I have a couple of his cd's, and my favorite is him live at the Royal Albert Hall, or something like that.

I think Joe is a fantastic guitarist! One of the best ever? Definitely on the list......

So why don't I have more of his stuff in my collection????

This just mystifies me.......................

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

PaulyT said:
blu-ray-red-rock_980e35b7-1053-4952-a48a-5578ab10d9bf_1024x1024.png

I'm about 2/3 of the way through this and

O my God you MUST GET THIS CONCERT!

PQ and SQ are outstanding. Music is just toe-tapping fun. Not your usual Joe set, either, not the stuff he wrote or normally plays (except a few towards the end). Old-style, pre-rock, blues.

I'll post more later (because I just KNOW you all want me to talk more about Joe), but for now just pausing to refill my beverage.

So a few of us watched this at Chris's GTG. Dunno what Jeff M. thought of it (?) (though he slept through part of it :laughing: ) - but Heeman commented that he thought the structure of the songs - most of which are pretty standard 12-bar blues, I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I - was kinda boring. I can understand that, and even agree with that sentiment, to a degree. But what I like about this concert is: 1) how Joe and the band fill in their own stuff within the somewhat narrow confines of the existing song structure, e.g. solos and arrangements and such; and 2) the overall energy of the performance, including the reactions of the crowd. Joe has this way of stringing along these extended solos, each of which is different but each of which fits the particular song it's in, that I find to be amazing.

In other words, it's how Joe interprets these songs, rather than how they were originally written, that appeals to me so much here.

Joe posted this on facebook, thought it was pretty funny...

Wow!! Serious nerd alert! This was taken twenty years ago at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto. I had just raided the Star Trek store. Stats - Band: Bloodline Year:1995 High School Prom:Dateless

11707558_10153451987739659_804244894179903524_n.jpg

PaulyT said:
PaulyT said:
blu-ray-red-rock_980e35b7-1053-4952-a48a-5578ab10d9bf_1024x1024.png

I'm about 2/3 of the way through this and

O my God you MUST GET THIS CONCERT!

PQ and SQ are outstanding. Music is just toe-tapping fun. Not your usual Joe set, either, not the stuff he wrote or normally plays (except a few towards the end). Old-style, pre-rock, blues.

I'll post more later (because I just KNOW you all want me to talk more about Joe), but for now just pausing to refill my beverage.

So a few of us watched this at Chris's GTG. Dunno what Jeff M. thought of it (?) (though he slept through part of it :laughing: ) - but Heeman commented that he thought the structure of the songs - most of which are pretty standard 12-bar blues, I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I - was kinda boring. I can understand that, and even agree with that sentiment, to a degree. But what I like about this concert is: 1) how Joe and the band fill in their own stuff within the somewhat narrow confines of the existing song structure, e.g. solos and arrangements and such; and 2) the overall energy of the performance, including the reactions of the crowd. Joe has this way of stringing along these extended solos, each of which is different but each of which fits the particular song it's in, that I find to be amazing.

In other words, it's how Joe interprets these songs, rather than how they were originally written, that appeals to me so much here.
To expand on the thoughts I espoused at the GTG...

I think this concert vid, more than any of his others, illustrates how weak Joe's voice is, both absolutely, and in relation to his guitar work.

Every time there was a cut to a genuine blues singer on video, another nail was sunk into the Joe Banana vocal coffin. And each time I was waiting for (nay craving) the onstage appearance of some other lead vocalist, or vocalists, who would take over. None did, and more and more nails were driven.

Let me digress...

I'm a huge fan of Jesse Cook. Not yet at the bromantic stage that PaulyT is with Joe Banana, but I do have all of Jesse's CDs and videos, and have seen him live four times. Jesse's guitar work is easily as good as Joe's, just that they're playing in different genre pools (Jesse's is New Flamenco / Rumba / World). But what Jesse has in spades is the good sense to NEVER sing - even though he has an ok voice. But it's just ok. Like Joe's is just ok. Unlike Joe, what Jesse does is to bring in truly great vocalists to take the lead, where there are vocals to be sung. (I think there is an Annex rock god amongst us who has the same good sense!)

Anyhow, it's through Jesse's work that I first discovered the likes of Melissa McClelland (you have got to check out her solo work, and the stuff she's now doing with Whitehorse - a partnership with her husband Luke Doucet), Sophie Milman, and Maryem Tollar. Holly Cole has sung for Jesse, as has Ron Sexsmith.

I still like Joe's guitar work (although it was way too predictable on this one). Come to think of it, the Joe stuff that I've liked the most has been his partnerships with Beth Hart - where she's done the singing - and his guitar work has been outstanding!

Jeff

Am I allowed to quote myself?

PaulyT said:
If there's any weakness in this show, it's Joe's vocals. While he's come a long way in his singing in recent years, his voice just doesn't have the "growl" of a true gritty American bluesman, especially in the lower register. He does a pretty decent job of it, but DON'T judge this concert on the basis of the vocals (Zing). Fortunately, I'm not that into the vocals per se, as we've discussed before it's just one among many instruments, to me. Joe really (REALLY) shines in the guitar here, pay more attention to that if you listen to this concert.

PaulyT said:
Oh yeah, I guess I do... :laughing-rolling:
Oh well, I make such good sense, I suppose I just can't help it.

LOL

I think I will make a custom rank for you. How does "Narcissistic Ass" sound to you? :eek:bscene-buttred:

:eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Gotta be one in every crowd, may as well take up that particular banner.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pXFogAkOZE[/youtube]

Oh Crap Paul, I'm Sorry, wrong thread..................

Back