• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

MB Quart Vera bookshelf speakers

Almost forgot again to thank lulimet for bringing this deal to our attention.

:bow-blue: :bow-blue:

I gotta say after being a bit skeptical, these seem to be the real deal AND they look great too. Congrats on a great find fellas. Still would love to hear a pair at Johns....*cough*heeman*cough*

I may just know someone who'd love to take those 60's off your hands Heeman.

Heeman, did you go with maple or elsberry? I can't really tell from the pictures.
I am glad you like them too. They really do sound different from other speakers. I don't really know how to explain it.

Btw, wasn't Dennie getting his in today too?

Some other comments.

I did calibrate the speakers in the 5.1 system and the balance is great with these and the XS30 Sub.

Supertramp - School...............Flint always says that this is a good go to to see how the speakers can handle the complexity. These Vera's do it much better than the Studio 60's.

Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up.......The depth is So (see what I did here) much better than the 60's.

Harder Rock and Heavy Metal - I have yet to find, not that I have been looking really hard, speakers that can reproduce accurately, well at least the way that I think it should sound. I played some Soundgarden, 3 Doors Down and Rush. Good, not great. Years ago Klipsch Heresy's were our go to speaker for this stuff.

Where these really shine is more on the Annie Lennox, John Mayer, Natalie Merchant stuff. Steely Dan much better than the 60's, or is this just the Honeymoon.

I watched the Lightcycle Scene in Tron Legacy................Great! Opening scene in Dark Knight............Great.

Threw in my favorite Jeff Beck, Live at Ronnie Scotts..............heard things that I did not hear before. Also the Foreigner Concert, Just a couple of song anyway.

No bourbon tonight, just some shitty red wine.

Fun, Fun, Fun...................NO T7 the 60's are not for sale! I will have 1 pair of 20's left though.

Sorry the Vera's will not make Hot Springs, however you can visit Rancho Viejo anytime you would like!

These are the real deal.

These are the Maple ( I said Birch) finish 2 of the speakers have some pretty funky grain in them.

Adios Amigos................I need to get some rest and get up for work tomorrow!! :happy-smileygiantred:

Glad they're working out, heeman! I will get to your place to hear them... someday...

For some reason, I could not post since Sunday evening. I kept getting a "Forbidden" notice.

I guess I'd been "Flint-ed" or locked out or something..... :confusion-shrug:

Great review Keith. :handgestures-thumbup:

I'm getting ready for work, but I did receive my "Vera's" yesterday and these are the real deal.

I got to spend about 3 hours listening to them last night and often couldn't believe I was listening to Bookshelf speakers. These things threw out a large soundstage with great height, depth and width. The furniture grade "Maple" is beautiful.

Natalie Merchant, Melody Gardot, Roberta Flack, The Eagles, especially "Hotel California" sounded amazing. Great clarity and not lacking in bass at all.

I did not use a sub (I rarely use a sub with my La Scalas) and didn't feel they were lacking in bass, except maybe the very lowest register. Bass on Roberta Flack's "The first time ever I saw your face" was solid and full. The drums coming in on "Hotel California" brought a huge smile to my face, as I didn't expect it to have such an impact. WOW!

High's were crystal clear and the Midrange was sweet. On Melody Gardot's "The Rain" from "My one and only thrill" CD had the orchestra wrapped completely behind her from far right to far left, wider than my room and Melody was dead center sounding fantastic.

These are High End speakers. A total steal at $524 (shipped) a pair. At times I forgot I wasn't listening to my La Scalas and that is saying something.

I'll leave them running while I'm at work today and I can only imagine they will sound better and better with some break-in time.

Thanks Lulimet for bringing these to our attention. I'm really glad I bought them.

Dennie

So it sounds like the 3 of us agree that these are a steal at their closeout pricing.

Last night, there was excitement and the pressure to set these up, listen, calibrate, watch, listen and of course to post here.

This AM, before I left for work, Barb and I were discussing this hobby and how the Vera's sounded. We both agree that they are DIFFERENT than the Studio 60's and BETTER in many ways. However that being said, the 60's have been around us since 1998 and we absolute love their sound. The big differences, I think, is the more defined sound of the Vera's. Some may refer to this as being Sterile?

On some material, they did sound very, very warm. Other material was not. The Vera's are not annoying or in your face, however they are Brighter, (not sure if that is the right word) than what we are used to.

Tonight we will watch a movie that we are familiar with. We are thinking War of the Worlds. I will not have the Vera's set up as the surrounds yet, however I think having the RF, LF and Center setup and calibrated with the surrounds and sub will give us a good feel for how they sound when "just watching a movie" and not specifically listening to see how the speakers sound.

Dennie, you bring up a great point about the bass performance of the Vera's. My first listening session was in Stereo, without the Sub, I was was also impressed with their low end response and output. For small speakers, the have the ability to put out some significant Clean sound at high levels.

I'll continue to post comments here and maybe even take some notes to give you guys a much better understand on what sounds good to me on these and what doesn't sound so good.

The Vera's use a 2 way crossover and the 60's use a 2.5 way crossover design and with the overall differences in design/ cabinet size I am not surprised they sound a lot different than the 60's.

I would be more curious to see how they compare against the 20's. I know the 20's and 60's have fairly similar voicing, bit I think the 20's sound different than the 60's. My brother has 60's I have listened to a lot and I have the 40's and 20's.

Mostly, I'm glad you guys got such a good deal on these and are enjoying them. If I hadn't spent so much money on other upgrades recently I may be tempted to spring for some.

Wow, they are almost sold out of everything. Yesterday I placed an order for the center speaker and another pair of the bookshelves in maple finish, and today I received an email saying that the order for the maple bookshelves was cancelled because they were sold out. So I called them today and ordered the last pair of the elsberry finish. It's not ideal to have surrounds in different finish but it was too good of a deal.

lulimet said:
Wow, they are almost sold out of everything. Yesterday I placed an order for the center speaker and another pair of the bookshelves in maple finish, and today I received an email saying that the order for the maple bookshelves was cancelled because they were sold out. So I called them today and ordered the last pair of the elsberry finish. It's not ideal to have surrounds in different finish but it was too good of a deal.

Let me make you feel better about this......................

If you don't mix and match the finishes (RIGHT AND LEFT), chances are the 2 different finishes will never be in the same line of site, especially when you are in the sweet spot.

One thing I know for sure is......................................the finish has nothing to do with the sound quality.

In other words:

YOU ARE GOOD TO GO!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Oh I won't mind. At least all the front three that we will be looking at are the same finish.
Now I am hoping that they don't cancel the order because that would suck.

Sounds like you guys got a great deal. The only thing better than scoring killer audio gear, is to also get a killer price on it.

Enjoy!

Very nice find, However it really does not shock me too much. Their car audio speaker always good. But when they moved their stuff over seas they really suffered, now they are just a swap meet speaker.

Glad ya, was able to get those speakers at such a great price!!!!!!!

Basterds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy-smileygiantred:

Last night we watched War Of The Worlds and Oblivion.

I still have my Studio 20's as surrounds, however 3 of the Vera Bookshelf speakers across the front. The 5.1 system has been calibrated. PSA XS 30 Sub.

Let me tell you, War Of The Worlds was very much in my face, Barb did not think so, she thought that it sounded pretty good. I was almost to the point, where I was going to box up the Vera's and re-install the 60's and call it a day. However, I got through it.

It was Barb's suggestion that we watch another movie. We picked Oblivion, because it was fairly new and noted for it's great audio and video quality. This was our second viewing of Oblivion.

This was a TOTALLY different Audio experience compared to WOTW. The sound was just fantastic!!!

I am really surprised by the difference.

Tonight my goal is to make sure that my rear speaker hangers can support the Vera's properly, and then install them and calibrate.

I will do my best to continue to report my experience with these new speakers here.

I got the Vera's mounted in the LR and RR mounts today after work. They weigh about 7 lbs more than the Studio 20's.

I got the 20's down and the Vera's up without any problems. Oh yea, the 60's are back in the den and hooked up.

I calibrated and then played some reference material. Barb and I then watched, Star Trek - Into The Darkness.

My overall opinion of the Vera's during the movie was very good. The Vera's provide a smoother fullness in the room. The speakers were much more transparent then the Studio's, however that being said, the center channel has much more detail and accuracy and it is taking me a little while to get used to it.

After the movie it was time for me to crank some tunes..................

Everything from Jeff Beck, Santana, Alicia Keys, The Eagles, Pete Townshend, Sammy Hagar, Steely Dan, Seal, Sade, Vanessa Carlson, Skid Row and I know that I am leaving a few out..................

It is obvious to me that some of this sounds just freakin' awesome and some, very bright. The accuracy is extremely good.

I think these are still going to take me awhile to get used to them.........

Did I tell you how much I just Freakin' love this hobby??????????

The alarm clock goes off in less than 6 hours..................

Good Night!

Heeman, make sure that the hex head screws in the back plate are tight. One of the guys from audioholics said that his were loose and he had to tighten them.
You are right about the brightness, it's going to take some time to get used to it. I think it's because the tweeter is crystal clear. These speakers reveal everything. They are so different from anything else I've heard before.

Just got the email with the UPS tracking number for the center and the other pair of the VS05B. They may get here on Saturday.

^ Yes, I read that, thanks for posting the link for that thread on that forum.

Yesterday I took some time to methodically snug up the hex bolts on the back of each speaker.

I will spend more time tonight listening.............

I am wondering how the Alexxa's sound????????

Back