• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

new HSU VTF-15H

Towen7 said:
I'd still like to know if there is value in having two of these (or any other nin a non-stereo configuration.

Could two subs playing the same source from different locations not cause some cancelation and/or amplification of certain frequencies without EQ applied to each?
One of non-stereo config is to stack one on top of the other which would boost the output (lobing wouldn't be an issue at this wave length).

Towen7 said:
I'd still like to know if there is value in having two of these (or any other nin a non-stereo configuration.

Could two subs playing the same source from different locations not cause some cancelation and/or amplification of certain frequencies without EQ applied to each?

Yes, in theory, two subs can be used to reduce the effects of room issues. This takes time and effort coupled with some sort of RTA equipment along with flexible placement options (such as subs on two adjacent walls).

You've heard and/or felt the PB13U in my room. Do you think I need two of them?

John

yromj said:
You've heard and/or felt the PB13U in my room. Do you think I need two of them?

No. Despite the huge thread at AVS I'm just having a hard time accepting that a $900 HSU can compete on all levels with the PB-13 that was considered an AMAZING value at $1600. Like Flint said... flat to 15Hz is not difficult, there are other things to consider.

Audioholics apparently is working on a review of the new HSU sub and comparing it to some of it's competion (SVS PB12-Plus, not ultra though):
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editori ... r-shootout.

The VTF-H15 is listed on post #405 of the thread that can be accessed at the end of the article (which is interesting by the way regarding the difficulties in having a sub woofer shootout).

Towen7 said:
No. Despite the huge thread at AVS I'm just having a hard time accepting that a $900 HSU can compete on all levels with the PB-13 that was considered an AMAZING value at $1600. Like Flint said... flat to 15Hz is not difficult, there are other things to consider.

I absolutely agree. My point was simply that I don't think you would need two, if you opted to go that route.

My favorite thing about the PB13U is its ability to play delicately when playing music. I think that may have been what got a lot of people's attention this past July. Everyone assumed (and correctly so as it turned out) that the PB13U's output would be far superior to the Dyns' output; but, I think most assumed that the Dyns would be better for music and that turned out to be incorrect, IMHO.

One quality of a good sub is the ability to play low frequencies at a respectable SPL. That is not the only quality, though.

John

GOD DAMIT!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Zing gives me a hard time and I finally decide to quit wondering and just compare the dam thing to my SVS and this is what I get...

HSU.jpg

Towen7 said:
GOD DAMIT!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Zing gives me a hard time and I finally decide to quit wondering and just compare the dam thing to my SVS and this is what I get...

HSU.jpg

uh oh, High demand....I know a guy that will sell you one for $1600+ shipping! :teasing-tease:

DIYer said:
I just put one in shopping cart (just to see) and don't get such message.
Neither do I, T7 you should try again... :think:

You probably don't want to read this from me but, yeah, try again. I just put on in my cart without an issue.

Cart.jpg

And all this time Towen thought he'd escaped laying out his hard cold cash, ot oh, time to put up or shut up!
:text-lol:

Rope

Rope said:
And all this time Towen thought he'd escaped laying out his hard cold cash, ot oh, time to put up or shut up!
:text-lol:

Rope
:text-yeahthat:

It's just you, T, they must have a block on Texans... :D

Did you call them to see if they're really out?

Okay f-ers...

Immediately after I made my post I called Hsu and spoke to the infamous Pete. He promised they were in stock and to check on why the site said otherwise... so mine is on the way. I'll use a trusty (monster cables brand) Y connector and do head to head comparison and I'll post pics of my SVS cylinder sitting on top of the Hsu box when it arrives.

Great! I'm looking forward to hearing about your results...

Towen7 said:
Okay f-ers...

Immediately after I made my post I called Hsu and spoke to the infamous Pete. He promised they were in stock and to check on why the site said otherwise... so mine is on the way. I'll use a trusty (monster cables brand) Y connector and do head to head comparison and I'll post pics of my SVS cylinder sitting on top of the Hsu box when it arrives.
SHAAAAWEEEEETTTT!!!! Did you take an opportunity to ask him any technical ?'s since you had him on the line? if so what did you ask and what did he answer?

We spoke of many things--
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings.

He seemed interested in my comparison because he hasn't heard of anyone comparing a cylinder sub to the VTF-15. I did ask why the sub has no outputs and how that decision limits those who would want to use a pair in stereo configuration. His answer was exactly what I expected ... because the vast majority of their customers never use the crossover or the output., and if they did they could use Hsu's $100 hi-pass filter.

Towen7 said:
Of cabbages--and kings--
I recognize that quote, where's it from? :?:

Towen7 said:
Hsu's $100 hi-pass filter.
Just another way to make a profit. :angry-tappingfoot: That feature in plate amp costs a few extra dollars to include.

Botch said:
Towen7 said:
Of cabbages--and kings--
I recognize that quote, where's it from? :?:

The Walrus and The Carpenter, Lewis Carroll
from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872

Back