• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Sandy Gross speaker company startup

Yesfan70 said:
That's a bit overpriced in my opinion. I don't remember Def Tech's powered towers being that high for a similar sized tower. I would rather spend that amount on some used Dynaudios or Paradigm Signatures.
Have you had a chance to hear them yet, Yesfan? The best speakers I've personally ever heard were a pair of Lamm's, somewhat smaller than either the DefTechs or these, but they were (iirc) $12,000. Each. I only judge a speaker on its sound anymore, kinda why I loved my Advents for 30 years, and currently love my Monitor Audio's... :bow-blue:

Yesfan70 said:
Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:
I wonder what the pricing is on the floorstanders.
According to S&V, $2,500/pair; fairly reasonable.
Another thing that caught my eye about these speakers were the built-in subwoofers, 1,200 W and there's two of them! Don't know if the extra power contributes to their (supposed) ability to go so low, but I'm sure I'll be corrected on that (unless he's joking). :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

That's a bit overpriced in my opinion. I don't remember Def Tech's powered towers being that high for a similar sized tower. I would rather spend that amount on some used Dynaudios or Paradigm Signatures.

Def Tech Mythos ST $4,000.00

Rope

At the risk of coming off as offensive, I have yet to hear anything from DefTech that lives upto the hype their marketing dept deploys. While at CEDIA you'd think they were the second coming of BOSE in that regard. At any given price point there's almost always something better. The rep had a 15 minute spiel about all the technology that went into some of their new floorstanders and many "leading" remarks as to what we should and will hear. The actual results of the demo were a confusing mess, that had no imaging at all with a horrible, bloated, unrefined soundstage and the demo practically made me nauseous after about 90 seconds...of course I guess it could've been something I ate. :puke-huge: Out of 15-20 speaker demos the DefTechs for me were EASILY the most disappointing.

Batman said:
At the risk of coming off as offensive, I have yet to hear anything from DefTech that lives upto the hype their marketing dept deploys. While at CEDIA you'd think they were the second coming of BOSE in that regard. At any given price point there's almost always something better. The rep had a 15 minute spiel about all the technology that went into some of their new floorstanders and many "leading" remarks as to what we should and will hear. The actual results of the demo were a confusing mess, that had no imaging at all with a horrible, bloated, unrefined soundstage and the demo practically made me nauseous after about 90 seconds...of course I guess it could've been something I ate. :puke-huge: Out of 15-20 speaker demos the DefTechs for me were EASILY the most disappointing.
I got to compare the Mythos ST's in the fanciest room of a salon when I was shopping, the other speakers in the room were NHT's. I preferred the NHTs, but then later got to hear them against the Monitor's and that sealed the deal.

Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:
Have you had a chance to hear them yet, Yesfan? The best speakers I've personally ever heard were a pair of Lamm's, somewhat smaller than either the DefTechs or these, but they were (iirc) $12,000. Each. I only judge a speaker on its sound anymore, kinda why I loved my Advents for 30 years, and currently love my Monitor Audio's... :bow-blue:

I'm not saying the bigger Def Techs are 'better' because they use bigger drivers. I'm just saying that for a given price point, there's probably (for me) better options for the money. I like Definitive's speakers, but not as well as Klipsch or Paradigm. From what I'm seeing the Golden's just look like a glorified version of Definitive's powered towers, but a bit higher in price. If that's the case, then I would rather save by going with Klipsch or Paradigm, or spend the extra amount on Dynaudio or higher end models from the other two I mentioned.

I have no problem demoing the Goldens to see if they can prove me wrong either. I'm just willing to bet my hunch is right on this one.

Rope said:

I was thinking along the lines of the BP700SC towers. link Those speakers are around the same price as the Golden Ears.

Wow! I didn't realize the Mythos were that high. In that regard, I stand corrected. Still, for $2500 I think I would look elsewhere, but wouldn't mind comparing the Mythos and Goldens to see if I'm right

But for $4000? It's a no brainer for me.....Dynaudio.

Zing said:
Matt? What have you done with our Yesfan? GIVE HIM BACK!
Apparently, it's contagious. As for the origin of it, someone mentioned Bournemouth, England. :think:

Rope said:
Yesfan70 said:
I wonder what the pricing is on the floorstanders.

I still run a Def Tech sub in my setup. It's a Powerfield 1500 I bought back in '94. It's "rated" to 15Hz and has a 250W amp and a 15" driver (cab is 18x18x18).

While I still like my sub, the sad thing is my buddy Kevin's entry level SVS 16-46 hits a whole lot lower.

Are you insinuating Def Tech pads their specifications?
Myhtos_One_BL_grilleOn_Off_Slider.jpg

Dimensions | Metric :6" W x 6" D x 48-1/2" H (with base) | 15.2 x 15.2 x 123.2 cm
Packaging :One to a carton
Height with Base | Metric :48-1/2" | 123.2 cm
Base Dimensions | Metric :10" W x 9-3/4" D | 25.4 x 24.8
Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; Two 5-1/4" high definition midrange drivers; Two 5-1/4" high definition bass drivers; Two 5-1/4" pressure coupled bass radiators
Enclosure :Aircraft grade extruded aluminum
Frequency Response :20 Hz – 30 kHz
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :20 – 250 watts
Available Finishes :Gloss Black
Weight | Metric :37 lbs | 16.8 kg
Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
Inputs :One pair of 5 way binding posts
Warranty :5 Years
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :60 Hz
Accessories: Plastic Foot Tippers; Isolation Spikes
Sensitivity :92 dB
Base :Tempered Glass

I wonder what decible level is reached at 20Hz? Be vewy vewy quite, I'm hunting wabbits.

Rope
these are the model i bought before i started reading this forum, And they went in at the time, (my livingroom )so waf was a huge factor. Without a decent sub, Even for music imho you would be dissapointed for the money. Although with a recent sub upgrade i now like the sound But have never heard dyns or the like To compare Hense more dissapointment.(maybey someday)

nats said:
But have never heard dyns or the like To compare Hense more dissapointment.(maybey someday)

There's a certain someone with a semi-decent Dyn system who's having a GTG this summer... :eusa-whistle:

PaulyT said:
nats said:
But have never heard dyns or the like To compare Hense more dissapointment.(maybey someday)

There's a certain someone with a semi-decent Dyn system who's having a GTG this summer... :eusa-whistle:
someday i would love to make a gtg,But when the company i worked for for 20 yrs closed,i went from a scedule of 4 days on 4 days off plus 5 weeks vacation to a regular schedule and 2 wks vacation, And where im already down to only 4 days left makes trips for myself next to impossible right now.

As a fan of DT I am aware how their stats are BS but it appears that Sandy didnt approve of the direction the redesigned towers were going so he decided to leave and make a worthy successor to the older BP design

Btw their subs suck until you get into the reference line and trinity but their lessor subs make great mid bass subs that are clean and tight.

MatthewB said:
Btw their subs suck until you get into the reference line and trinity but their lessor subs make great mid bass subs that are clean and tight.

Ahh, it is no longer a "Sub" when it only does "mid bass"! Right?

Dennie

Dennie said:
MatthewB said:

Ahh, it is no longer a "Sub" when it only does "mid bass"! Right?

Dennie

I believe it's referred to by :bow-blue: Bose as a bass module. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Rope

:text-bump:

The full 5.0 (hah!) Surround System is reviewed in April's Home Theater: Top Pick and 5/5 stars in all three categories, Performance, Value, and Build Quality. They really raved about the system. Full-up its $3,500, exactly what I paid for my Monitor Audios. I'd really like a chance to hear these things, maybe a motorcycle road trip thru Colorado this summer? :p
EDIT: the article isn't posted on HT's website yet, I'll post a link when they do.

I had a pair of Def-Tech's in my basement not to long ago. They were the model one down from the top, BP7001'S . There were no less then 5 people who listened to them compared to the $300.00 DIY speakers I bought from DIY'ER. All 5 people choose the little DIY speakers over the Def-Tech's, it wasn't even close. With that said if you spent about 3 hours tryig to place the monster Def's they did sound very nice for movies. An exagerated sound but still pleasing for HT.

I use my DefTechs strictly for movies only. At my GTG we played various music through them, some artists they sounded great, as for others not so much. I recall Razz really liked my BP7001s playing Nora Jones very much, but other music not so much.

MatthewB said:
I use my DefTechs strictly for movies only. At my GTG we played various music through them, some artists they sounded great, as for others not so much. I recall Razz really liked my BP7001s playing Nora Jones very much, but other music not so much.

I think what Razz said was that he would really like to play with Nora Jones'...

Or maybe that was the Captain talking?

And Matt, I thought you needed to swing your room around to more properly take advantage of the BPs, but that in any case they sounded good in that non-optimal layout.

Jeff

Back