• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Sandy Gross speaker company startup

These are the same guys who created the DefTech concepts. The company was bought out and these guys formed a new company, but their ideas for speaker design are not that different from what they did at DefTech.

Personally, anyone who claims to get 14Hz from a 10" woofer in a 1.5 ft^3 enclosure is insane - much like DefTech's outrageous claims.

Sorry, not terribly impressed.

Yeah - I know his history with Def Tech. That was my point: his new speakers seem to be just a variation on what he did there.

DefTech doesn't use pleated tweeters though, do they?
They are used in the A-DAM studio monitor speakers, and many of my friends in the music business really swear by them; I'm actually looking forward to hearing these, if/when they ever get a dealer in Utard (four in Colorado, of course).
The GoldenEars were named in Sound-n-Vision's "Best of 2010" this month.

Ribbon tweeters are a dime a dozen now days. It seems every single Chinese speaker maker has a line of ribbon and planer tweeters.

Don't be fooled by something having ribbons - just because it is a ribbon doesn't mean it will perform like a Raal or Heil Air-Motion tweeter. That's like saying soft dome tweeters are popular therefor all speakers with soft domes much be interesting to hear.

I have no heard these speakers, so I cannot make any judgements other than their design philosophy, technical claims, and marketing language. So far I am really not impressed.

Ribbons are all pleated:

lexikon_baendchenlautsprecher.gif

exp.jpeg

That's one reason they are not the same as a electrostatic speaker, which is flat.

By the way, I am not bashing Adam speakers. Personally, I don't like the harsh upper end every Adam speaker has presented to me, everyone is entitled to their own preferences. I was referring to the new "golden ear" speakers sounding great merely because they have a ribbon tweeter just like a highly respected studio monitor company. One component being similar is not a sign of comparible performance. Heck, most speakers have woofers, therefor they much as be pretty similar, right?

Can't keep Sandy Gross down for long. He knows how his bread is buttered. He starts speaker companies like I change underwear.

Golden Ear

Rope

Rope said:
Can't keep Sandy Gross down for long. He knows how his bread is buttered. He starts speaker companies like I change underwear.

Golden Ear

Rope

Sorry Rope. I missed that post in September. Thought this was new news.

Orbison said:
Rope said:

Golden Ear

Rope

Sorry Rope. I missed that post in September. Thought this was new news.

No biggie! I'm glad you started a thread dedicated to the "new" speaker company.

Rope

Not that this means anything but the Golden Ear speakers made Sound and Visions (Feb Issue) speaker of the year. Which is not not really a shocker since Def-Techs were highly promoted by S&V also.

I wonder what the pricing is on the floorstanders.

I still run a Def Tech sub in my setup. It's a Powerfield 1500 I bought back in '94. It's "rated" to 15Hz and has a 250W amp and a 15" driver (cab is 18x18x18).

While I still like my sub, the sad thing is my buddy Kevin's entry level SVS 16-46 hits a whole lot lower.

Yesfan70 said:

I still run a Def Tech sub in my setup. It's a Powerfield 1500 I bought back in '94. It's "rated" to 15Hz and has a 250W amp and a 15" driver (cab is 18x18x18).

While I still like my sub, the sad thing is my buddy Kevin's entry level SVS 16-46 hits a whole lot lower.

Are you insinuating Def Tech pads their specifications?
Myhtos_One_BL_grilleOn_Off_Slider.jpg

Dimensions | Metric :6" W x 6" D x 48-1/2" H (with base) | 15.2 x 15.2 x 123.2 cm
Packaging :One to a carton
Height with Base | Metric :48-1/2" | 123.2 cm
Base Dimensions | Metric :10" W x 9-3/4" D | 25.4 x 24.8
Driver Complement :One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; Two 5-1/4" high definition midrange drivers; Two 5-1/4" high definition bass drivers; Two 5-1/4" pressure coupled bass radiators
Enclosure :Aircraft grade extruded aluminum
Frequency Response :20 Hz – 30 kHz
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :20 – 250 watts
Available Finishes :Gloss Black
Weight | Metric :37 lbs | 16.8 kg
Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
Inputs :One pair of 5 way binding posts
Warranty :5 Years
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :60 Hz
Accessories: Plastic Foot Tippers; Isolation Spikes
Sensitivity :92 dB
Base :Tempered Glass

I wonder what decible level is reached at 20Hz? Be vewy vewy quite, I'm hunting wabbits.

Rope

Yesfan70 said:
Matt? What have you done with our Yesfan? GIVE HIM BACK!

Zing said:
Yesfan70 said:

LOL!, If you think that I believe that stat, then don't worry.....I don't. I'm not the golden ear type, but you don't have to be to hear (or feel) how low a sub will actually go. If you remember some of my older posts at the other place, I mentioned having to "house sit" my buddy Kevin's SVS subwoofer while he was building his house. When he first brought it over, we compared the two and we both like the SVS much better. His sub is an entry level one at that.

When he finally got his house finished and returned to get his SVS, I really did not want to give it back. After he left, I went toward the corner of my room, sat, and cried. I turned on some music hoping it would cheer me up. The first thumps and booms from my Def Tech just made it worse and I just sat there......on my couch...... staring at the walls, contemplating suicide.

I really missed that sub..........

Zing said:
Yesfan70 said:

No, no, I think he only has ONE sub woofer. If it were Matt......well, you know!

Dennie

Be of good cheer, my man! I know where you can pick up a PB12-NSD/2 for cheap. :happy-smileygiantred:

Yesfan70 said:
According to S&V, $2,500/pair; fairly reasonable.
Another thing that caught my eye about these speakers were the built-in subwoofers, 1,200 W and there's two of them! Don't know if the extra power contributes to their (supposed) ability to go so low, but I'm sure I'll be corrected on that.

Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:
According to S&V, $2,500/pair; fairly reasonable.
Another thing that caught my eye about these speakers were the built-in subwoofers, 1,200 W and there's two of them! Don't know if the extra power contributes to their (supposed) ability to go so low, but I'm sure I'll be corrected on that (unless he's joking). :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

That's a bit overpriced in my opinion. I don't remember Def Tech's powered towers being that high for a similar sized tower. I would rather spend that amount on some used Dynaudios or Paradigm Signatures.

Back