• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Plasma Project

Botch said:
I was gonna recommend he NOT play any Trans-Siberian Orchestra on Xmas Eve, any bad timing and Santa would experience a "brown note"… :scared-eek:

Lolz, the brown note. Is that an intentional reference to The League?

Randy said:
Rope said:

Rope that comes out and articulates but will not lower the viewing height of the display. This is what I need.

http://www.dynamicmounting.com/

It allows you to lower the display like 30"

You can anchor that mount so that it sets atop the fire place brick. The arm will reach past the front of the fire place so the lower third of the panel will be covering the front of the FP.

If you'd like, I can take a pic of mine for example purposes.

Rope

Interesting Rope, if you don't mind and you have time, yes I would like to see that. It is too late for me now, but I would like to see it.

Yes Andy bought it from Reliable in Alton.

BTW, the arm can be inverted to lower the panel even more.

Rope

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 784
  • IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 784
OK Rope now I see.

The fireplace wall mount I gave the link to is probably still the hot setup but I was not gonna spend the money on it.

Oh well it is done now. Everything is ready just waiting for the display to come in Tuesday or Wednesday.

Have updated pix but cant get them to upload from photobucket now for some reason.

Two things ...

1. I didn't see your link for the mount. Thats a neat bracket.
2. I just posted a photobucket pic in another thread so I don't know why you cant. Weird.

Backside of the room now all we have to do is terminate the cables.

Frontside buttoned up just need to terminate the cables, AC is hooked up and hot.

New cabinet where the components will reside.

Randy, I like that component cabinet! Hope its ventilated somehow though, not apparent in the pic.

Front is completely open. That pic looks like there is glass but it is open.

No not initially. I am going to place the center channel speaker on the hearth for now and although I know it will not look great, I am always exploring my options.
My buddy who helped me with the install and has a pretty significant HT background wants me to forego the center channel for aesthetics and he says we can get a good "center channel" image using phantom.

I don't know and I am not sold on the idea, but I also try to never say never.

I ran a phantom CC for years with very good results. It wasn't as good as a dedicated CC but certainly way, way more than adequate.

Randy said:
...he says we can get a good "center channel" image using phantom.
You can. And will. But only while seated in the center sweet spot. The further you sit away from that spot, the worse that phantom image becomes.

Just like you, I have a (rarely-used) fireplace on my display wall with a stand-mounted speaker directly in front of it that serves as the Center Channel. Several months ago, I decided to (temporarily) remove the CC just so I could spend the night listening to music while watching and being mezmerised by the fire. It was not an unpleasant way to spend the evening. In fact, it was so enjoyable, I've repeated it many times in the last few months for both myself and guests. Anyhow, with that first time, I started thinking about all the people who have claimed they run a phantom center and how they don't feel they're missing anything. So while the speaker was removed, I made the necessary changes in the processor and then popped in a BD to see what it's like.

I sat in the center seat and immediately thought "Oh yeah! This is awesome! I don't need that speaker there. I'm going to keep things just like this." Then I sat in an outside seat and immediately thought "Shit! I need a center channel speaker."

If your seating is noticeably further away from the plane of your front speakers than the speakers are from one another, you may get acceptable results. But if your setup is closer to an equilateral triangle, I'd be willing to bet your findings will be much like mine.

My plan is to keep the center.

WHOO BOY!!!!

There is a great big ole honkin box sitting in my living room behind the couch. Now I just gotta get that puppy on the wall.

Back