• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Prometheus

No-L said:
This thread has officially made my brain hurt and now I'm not sure I want to see the movie! I just don't tend to enjoy a movie that makes you come to your own conclusions.

:doh:

Take the risk and see it, maybe twice...................

We enjoyed it and I think gave it a 7 out of 10, but I did not take away ANYTHING near what these guys did.. :text-imnewhere:

Guess I need to see this movie, didn't realize there was so much mind provoking going on.

Huey said:
Guess I need to see this movie, didn't realize there was so much mind provoking going on.

I viewed a rental copy a little bit ago but bought a used copy yesterday. Will be watching again this weekend.

This is why I never read anything about movies before I watch them. If you go into it looking for this stuff the first time you see it, it'll take some of the enjoyment out of it.

Towen7 said:
This is why I never read anything about movies before I watch them. If you go into it looking for this stuff the first time you see it, it'll take some of the enjoyment out of it.
I agree. I stayed away from any discussion of this film until after seeing it.

Only thing I knew about it was it somehow hooked into the Alien series.

mzpro5 said:
Towen7 said:
I agree. I stayed away from any discussion of this film until after seeing it.

Only thing I knew about it was it somehow hooked into the Alien series.

Me too.......

But I'll tell ya', None of the Religious ties even came close to me seeing them, now that Matt and Tom has mentioned them, I will try to pick up on the next viewing.

Much of the religious ties were overt like them defining faith as "what I choose to believe" three times and finishing the movie with that same line, the removal of the cross necklace (referred to as "your father's cross" several times) by David and her persistance to reclaim the cross after surviving the attack by the engineer.

I don't feel the least bit spoiled.

Y'all need to try harder! :happy-smileygiantred:

:angelic-green: :angelic-green: :angelic-green:

i think we kinda posted the spoiler alerts earlier on in the thread, hoping that would give a little bit of a warning.

i love spoiler features, but sometimes they're also used inappropriately too.

anyways, hoping this didnt ruin peoples appetitio...

Ok, finally saw the movie (from redbox). And I avoided reading any of this thread until afterwards. And as it happens, I just watched Alien not too long ago, when I got the box set (haven't re-watched movies 2-4 yet though).

I generally agree that the story was so-so. Too many holes, to many uncertain motives. I guess maybe that was intentional - big badass aliens/creators with motives we don't fully understand - either to create discussions as others have mentioned, or give nebulous ties to god/divine beings whose motives are also incomprehensible to us, dunno. Maybe all the above. But it wasn't overly convincing or satisfying, IMHO. And what's Shaw gonna do when she gets to the "engineers'" home planet? Nuke 'em all? Spread her DNA around as a contagion? Just wave hello and move on? It's a bit silly IMHO.

PaulyT said:
Spread her DNA around as a contagion?
:laughing: I wasn't expecting MattB-ish post from you, Pauly.

Just wave hello and move on? It's a bit silly IMHO.
But it sure sets up a big anticipation for the sequel which I've heard that it received a green light.

spoiler!

spoiler question if you may call it...

i wonder if the engineers even 'know' of the existence of the new 'alien' creature, or if anyone knew of it.

I really liked this movie, very entertaining IMO but you guys are thinking this over way too much.

If it was a film about Sarte or Nietzsche I could understand all the philosophical angst but geez just enjoy the fine sci-fi movie it is. :teasing-tease: :happy-smileygiantred:

mzpro5 said:
I really liked this movie, very entertaining IMO but you guys are thinking this over way too much.

If it was a film about Sarte or Nietzsche I could understand all the philosophical angst but geez just enjoy the fine sci-fi movie it is. :teasing-tease: :happy-smileygiantred:
This is a thinker's movie. Ridley Scott is good at directing such film. Look at how much discussions were generated by Blade Runner final cut.

Anyway, I think this movie works for both thinkers and those who just want to enjoy the ride.

jomari said:
Spoiler answer:
The mural and the relief sculpture on the walls of that chamber where the big head is, were done by them so that tells that they do.

Edit: Here's a site with lots of details on it.

Zing said:
Is it as much of a thinker as Inception? That movie made my head hurt.
Personally, I would say more but in a different way. Try it anyway Zing. Just because red wine gives one a headache, doesn't mean white wine will do the same. :think:

DIYer said:
mzpro5 said:

This is a thinker's movie. Ridley Scott is good at directing such film. Look at how much discussions were generated by Blade Runner final cut.

Anyway, I think this movie works for both thinkers and those who just want to enjoy the ride.

I know what you are saying (just an attempt at levity) and honestly I have not gotten around to that second viewing yet even though I own a copy.
I think it will end up being one of those films I view both in full and partially many times, just like Blade Runner which I cannot remember how many times I have seen it.

DIYer said:
jomari said:
Spoiler answer:
The mural and the relief sculpture on the walls of that chamber where the big head is, were done by them so that tells that they do.

Edit: Here's a site with lots of details on it.

hahahaha!

i couldnt get to read thru it so much because the damn christmas music started and im stuck with missus watching a movie! hihihi!

will check later after getting ready...

Back