• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony UBP-X800

Figures … I finally get a UHD/HDR set and this player is back to $199. I knew I should’ve gotten one when they were at $149, but I let Batman talk me out of it.

Figures … I finally get a UHD/HDR set and this player is back to $199. I knew I should’ve gotten one when they were at $149, but I let Batman talk me out of it.
Hate to break it to you but they dropped as low as $129US at one point over Xmas.

What's that saying again?

Let me think...

Nope that's not it.

Processing...

Ah yes!

Snooze you fucking lose!

Thanks but no. I saw the refurb option. Even if its just an open box return, I can't bring myself to paying that much more than it sold for new a couple of months ago.

Recently I've been streaming more and more DSD files and am noticing the occasional issue.

First off, in fairness to Sony, the owner's manual clearly says that it may not stream DSD files. I consider it a pleasant bonus that it does. However, when streaming 5.1 DSD files wirelessly from my server some files "stutter." The same track in 2.0 will play ok. I'm unsure whether the issue is that the wireless connection itself is the issue, but given that I can stream Netflix etc. without issue I'm a bit doubtful. It does stream perfectly from by server through a wired connection. (Of my two players one connects only wirelessly and the other has an Ethernet connection.) I'm considering running a length of Ethernet cable all the way from a switch in my office in the basement to the player that's currently wireless only.

Does anyone know if I'm likely to have an issue if I use 75' of RJ45 CAT6 550MHz Ethernet cable?

Jeff

Does anyone know if I'm likely to have an issue if I use 75' of RJ45 CAT6 550MHz Ethernet cable?

Jeff

Assuming you use a certified and stamped cable terminated at the factory, you should be fine. They are rated to always function properly at up to 100Meters, so this should be easy.

Assuming you use a certified and stamped cable terminated at the factory, you should be fine. They are rated to always function properly at up to 100Meters, so this should be easy.
Thanks Flint.

The Ethernet cable arrived today and after a couple of hours of drilling holes and fishing I got it run from the basement to the main floor family room.

"Stutter" is now all gone on 5.1 DSD files played through the X800.

Jeff

The Ethernet cable arrived today and after a couple of hours of drilling holes and fishing I got it run from the basement to the main floor family room.

"Stutter" is now all gone on 5.1 DSD files played through the X800.

Jeff

Whoop!!!!

Wifi is a shared network, meaning that every device connected takes turns speaking, pinging, announcing themselves, checking around them, and so on, even when they are "idle". It is also prone to all sorts of interference and noise. The strength of the standard allows for most of the attempted packet broadcasts to fail and still get resent and assembled, but that can take time and if a receiving device needs to get enough packets before its buffers run out of data from the last packet received or it will stutter or stop playing altogether. If you were merely transferring a file to the device, it could repeat things for hours and still receive the file, but when streaming the playback insists those packets all arrive in a timely manner.

So, cabling directly to a switch is the most reliable way to go.

Back