• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Upgrade advice sought

2chnfornow

I have been bitten by the upgrade bug.

My current speakers are Mackie HR 824MKII's.
Pre-Amp is a Pro-Ject Pre Box.
Subwoofer is a SVS 20-39 PC+ driven by a Paradigm X-30 crossover.
Main playback source is A Oppo BDP-83

My room is small at approx. 220 sq/ft.

My budget is up to approx. $4000.oo.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks

Re: Upgrade advive sought

I highly recommend Dynaudio....but I a happen to be biased. Go listen to as many brands as you can as you can!

Re: Upgrade advive sought

First and foremost...
:text-welcomeconfetti:

Secondly, what is it that you'd like to upgrade? More specifically, what is it that you're dissatisfied with and would like to improve?

Do you want to spend that budget on one item or build a whole new system with it?

I am looking to spend the entire upgrade budget on speakers. If I need to add amplifiers for passive speakers, I do have a pair of Audiosource 70w monoblocks that can be used until I discern that something better is required.

$4K for speakers? Hot dang!

There are a ton of options, but I also like Dynaudio. Look at PSB and Focal as well.

Are you able to audition a variety of speakers? Do you live in such an area that you can drive to a few hi fi shops and listen to different speakers?

Zing said:
Are you able to audition a variety of speakers? Do you live in such an area that you can drive to a few hi fi shops and listen to different speakers?
In strange way that is part of the issue. I live in NYC and there are so many options available.

That's the main reason that I am seeking advice here.

Monitor Audio RX-8 Silvers. They've been rated very highly in some of the audio magazines, I have their predecessors and absolutely love them, and you'll have some of the $4,000 left over so you can buy me some "thank you" disks. :D

2chnfornow said:
In strange way that is part of the issue. I live in NYC and there are so many options available.

That's the main reason that I am seeking advice here.
That's really not a bad thing but I understand how overwhelming it could easily become.

If you're not up against a clock for getting new speakers, I say take the next 6 months and have fun. Visit all the shops you can (a second or third time if needed), bring your own media, take notes, widdle down the choices and before you know it, you'll have the speakers that sound most awesome to you.

First and foremost: :text-welcomeconfetti: to the fray!!

Is the $4k just for the mains? If so, then I also highly recommend checking out Dynaudio.

John

Welcome! These discussions are always fun. :D

So, tossing out another idea, what are your thoughts about used? Audiogon.com would likely have some killer speakers in your price range. Just doing a quick search, not that I've heard any of these speakers:

Thiel CS6

Thiel CS7

Usher CP8571

I have been checking Audiogon, however finding something that is within pickup range is dicey.

Thanks for the suggestions, all opinions are welcome.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on Legacy Audio.

Chalk up another recommendation for Dynaudio. I love their speakers. I would also look at models from the Klipsch Heritage line (Cornwalls or LaScalas).

I've never heard any of the Legacy Audio speakers, but for $4000 they would be near the top of my list of demos. A used pair, like the Focus, should be within your budget.

Back