• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Upgrade bug

A real stereo sub setup requires you to run the full range for the left and right channels to each sub. Not many processors have true left and right sub outputs. Even those with 2 outs are almost always a sum of the left, right, and LFE channels. So you'll need to set your processor to "full range" for the main speakers. Then you'll need a way to crossover the bass frequencies for each channel and send the mid/highs to the speakers and the bass to the subs. That means using the crossover in each of the subs or using a stand-alone crossover.

Towen7 said:
A real stereo sub setup requires you to run the full range for the left and right channels to each sub. Not many processors have true left and right sub outputs. Even those with 2 outs are almost always a sum of the left, right, and LFE channels. So you'll need to set your processor to "full range" for the main speakers. Then you'll need a way to crossover the bass frequencies for each channel and send the mid/highs to the speakers and the bass to the subs. That means using the crossover in each of the subs or using a stand-alone crossover.

Thanks for the info! I was not aware of that.

Xgm3 said:
Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:
I'd consider buying three new speakers for across the front, keeping your existing sub, and moving the HSUs to the surround positions, to get an excellent 5.1 system.

Jeff
I'm going to second this notion. Why? Because I know where you can get 3 identical fantastic sounding speakers that were, up until recently, used in a room similarly sized to yours for a LOT less than $1600 (as in $900 less). Unless of course you have an aversion to gorgeous high gloss Birdseye maple. :eusa-whistle:

I have no aversion. What are they?
I have heard Zing's Swans in his home and they sounded fantastic. And if my math is correct and he's offering them up for $700 then I'd jump all over that.

Jeff

I have heard Zing's Swans in his home and they sounded fantastic. And if my math is correct and he's offering them up for $700 then I'd jump all over that.

This sounds like a great idea!

Xgm3 said:
Is there a website Zing where I can check them out? Have you heard these speakers and do you recommend them?
Here you go. Take your pick.

Of course I recommend them. Seriously. I love these speakers. I'd still be using them if the upgrade bug hadn't bitten me recently (that and a crack dealer in a dark alley who went "Psst, hey buddy").

I can tell you about two separate audio engineers who heard them and commented on how good they sounded and how well they imaged but instead I'll tell you that no less than 5 other Annex members have heard them here. Perhaps they'll offer an opinion or five.

Zing said:
Xgm3 said:
Is there a website Zing where I can check them out? Have you heard these speakers and do you recommend them?
Here you go. Take your pick.

Of course I recommend them. Seriously. I love these speakers. I'd still be using them if the upgrade bug hadn't bitten me recently (that and a crack dealer in a dark alley who went "Psst, hey buddy").

I can tell you about two separate audio engineers who heard them and commented on how good they sounded and how well they imaged but instead I'll tell you that no less than 5 other Annex members have heard them here. Perhaps they'll offer an opinion or five.

Cool man. I trust the opinions of everyone on here. I come here and read stuff all the time. Well I'm in if you want to send me a PM and we can get this party started.

I, too, have had the pleasure of hearing Zing's speakers, and I, too, am in KC so you know I can be trusted. :happy-smileygiantred: You won't be disappointed!

CMonster said:
I, too, have had the pleasure of hearing Zing's speakers, and I, too, am in KC so you know I can be trusted. :happy-smileygiantred: You won't be disappointed!

Sweet! I'm freaking pumped! PM has been sent.

Let me be the first to say "Congratulations on your new acquisition, Xgm3!" :text-bravo:

I've heard the Swans and was really impressed as well...and you can trust me because....well....I'm BATMAN!!

Seriously they're a spectacular speaker especially for that kind of coin!

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Zing said:
Let me be the first to say "Congratulations on your new acquisition, Xgm3!" :text-bravo:
Some more suckage again I see. This forum is really becoming a black hole. Congrats on your purchase Xgm3.

Back