• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

Zing said:
heeman said:
Waiting for a review on the Annie Lennox BR................ :angry-tappingfoot:
Here's a review for you.

FOR SALE: 1 Annie Lennox concert Blu-ray disc. Used once. No reasonable offer refused.

sister finally lent me her copy, and... well, i hate to admit it, it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

i love annie lennox, i loved her dvd and her performances with eurythmics, but this one was painful to watch.

at times she shines, at times she overdoes the song, in certain moments you want to just listen to the lyrics, she blast it with tina turner amplitude. choosing your moments define the song as much as a flail of the guitar or what not.

i wasnt bothered too much of the visuals, to be honest, after listening to the first song, it was apparently a knee jerk moment - dont look at the screen.

so i forwarded it to the eurythmics set, and well.... she was on piano, solo.

but man, it was painful. if you want ''rehashes'' go for seal's blu-ray. at least that one isnt as painful as this one.

Zing said:
Kickin' it old school.

Despite being on DVD, this is a stellar image, stellar audio and stellar performance.

41GH30QZEGL.jpg

Ok finally after this one being talked about over and over here, I'm watching this now. Huh, I always thought, for reasons I don't know, that Paul McCartney was part of the Eagles. I see that's not the case... Anyway, trying to familiarize myself with the members of this band... But meanwhile, good show. :handgestures-thumbup:

^---

Guys, I had really high expectations for this one. Maybe too high. At the risk of pissing off the many fans of this here, I say ... meh.

I mean, I liked it. I did. Hotel California was cool. I REALLY enjoyed the surround mix of Seven Bridges Road.

But the rest... I was un-inspired. I like Henley, and one of my very favorite 80's songs - Boys Of Summer - is his, and that one hits me emotionally every time. But in this concert, while his vocals were good, his drumming was ... I'm sorry ... just awful. I could have done as well myself.

The other band members were ok I guess. The one or two times they showed Felder I thought what he was doing was interesting. Frey and Schmitt and Walsh were good, when I could hear them.

But overall I felt that these guys were going through the motions but not really *involved* in what they were doing. Maybe that was just the style and the attitude of the times, I dunno.

Sorry, I know I'm going counter to the general opinion here.

Paul, some of us will be in complete agreement with you, including me.
My first 5.1 experience was with this disk, and the sound was fantastic (I ended up buying my Tannoy Reveals because of that session). But that performance, like so many other Eagle performances, were phoned in. Those songs have been done over and over for so long they just can't sustain any life anymore.
I have the highest respect for the Eagle's songs, their original recordings, and their, I'll use the word discipline, in their performances (sound exactly like the record), but it saps the life out of their live show.
I have most of the Eagles music in my collection; I don't think I've listened to any of it, since retiring from being a bar musician. No matter how good something is (Eagles, my smoked brisket, chocolate, etc) if you overdo it it becomes mundane, and boring. I feel sorry for the Eagles having to do the same songs over and over (at $180/seat, okay maybe not so sorry), but then think about the "one-hit-wonder" singers who have to go to all the hardscrabble clubs, night after night, sing their "new" material, while the crowd screams for their single hit ("Do Kung Fu Fighting, What's-yer-name!") :doh:

Paul - perhaps you would've liked it more had the set list been something like:

Hey Jude
Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
Sgt. Pepper
Strawberry Fields
Let It Be
Here Comes The Sun
Come Together
Penny Lane
et al

:eusa-whistle:

^--- Eh, I'm not any more a Beatles fan than Eagles... ;)

Thanks, Botch, at least I'm not the only one.

:twocents-mytwocents:

On Hell Freezes Over and The Eagles

I first got this on VHS somewhere in the mid-90's and we all thought that it was just fantastic. I for one, was never a big Eagles fan, however liked their stuff. Joe Walsh, I think is fantastic. The others in the band are great musicians and song writers.

I watched this show on DVD many months ago in the HT and of course it was 4:3 and the picture quality so, so. There are a few songs that are just WOW, and I still got that feeling I did back 20 some odd years ago. After I watched this one I put in the BR of

The Eagles: Farewell I Live From Melbourne; Great Show also, especially Joe...... PQ/SQ Awesome. Show, low energy, but great tunes.

A high energy concert it is not. Great music that we have heard over and over and over again, yes, but still some great musician/song writers that can play and put on a great EAGLES show for their diehard fans........

:happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

Botch said:
toto-liveinpoland-dvd.jpg

Been watching this on Palladia tonight.
Much better than the last Toto concert I have (which I unfortunately bought), it was quite obvious the vox and possibly some of the music were being played back, way too Perfect. This show is totally live, which I much more appreciate.
I'm wondering if the 2nd keyboardist on this video is Steve Porcaro; he IS credited on their latest album (he was contractually forced out of the band a couple decades ago for releasing a solo album), no real idea what he looks like anymore. He's the last living Porcaro, would be cool if he was back in the band.

Watching this one right now, on BD. I love it!

I'm not all that terribly familiar with their music. I had Toto IV as a kid, just like the rest of the universe, and at the risk of sounding like a big cliche, I still think Africa is one of the greatest pop/rock tunes EVER. :snooty:

I like this concert a lot. So far most of the music is new. I did really (REALLY) like the live version of Rosanna, they could do a lot of interesting exploratory things that they'd never get away with in a studio album. Loved it.

Also really liked Hydra - that one I didn't know. Good stuff, complex arrangement. Nicely performed.

Overall I like all the primary musicians. Bassist (East) is good. I like the drummer (Phillips) a lot, reminds me a bit of Portnoy's style. The keyboardists (Paich and Porcaro) are good, when I can hear them - not always very prominent in the mix. Vocalist (Wiliams) is very good, loved his Rosanna. The only one I'm not thrilled about is the guitarist (Lukather)... His playing is ... meh. (In my very humble opinion.) His singing... worse than meh, can't understand a single syllable that he vocalizes, just a guttural "urnnn urrnnn runnn" sound... ugh.

I didn't know/remember that Mike Porcaro died recently. RIP. I knew about Jeff.

I like the filming a lot, some interesting things with split screens and b&w. Adds something to the concert, for me. Very good PQ, good SQ though I wish some of the instrumental lines were a little more distinct in the mix, though of course there's a lot of people up there on stage.

Anyway, good concert, and thanks for the recommendation!

PaulyT said:
...at the risk of sounding like a big cliche, I still think Africa is one of the greatest pop/rock tunes EVER. :snooty:

Agreed 1,000%! :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:

You need to see this one............................

I think that is their best.............

I will bring it!

51kMm5DlqDL.jpg

heeman said:
You need to see this one............................

I think that is their best.............

I will bring it!

51kMm5DlqDL.jpg

Wish I could see it also; I checked and the concert video they did that I hate so much is this one:

410RC96SM2L.jpg

UYAM100.JPG

Umphrey's McGee, Live at Red Rocks, 2014.

This one was a big disappointment for me.
It's already out of print, found a copy for $30.
The show began AFTER dark, so the fact that it was shot at Red Rocks was kinda moot. There was one encore number with panning among the (amazing!) venue, but not worth much.
Performance Stellar (it IS UM, duh!), which makes everything else such a disappointment.
Audio Good balance, but otherwise not very clear. Stereo, REALLY??? This was recorded in 2014!!
Video 16:9, but very poor quality, even for DVD. Again, 2014, REALLY???

This is another show that I wish could've been recorded better, for History. But it wasn't.
Gah.

:|

51k%2BGiX4I7L.jpg

Finally got around to listening to this one - after ordering a second copy having lost the first one at the GTG... Anyway, great concert! I enjoyed the hell out of it. And I couldn't help thinking, during the entire show, how cool it would have been to be one of the kids involved in this! I loved watching the expressions on the kids' faces during this concert. They really did add something to the show, too.

The main man of this one though was Tommy Shaw, very impressive.

heeman said:
Here is a clip!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K71crcHcWg[/youtube]
Dude, I need to get my boom boom room going. Waiting a month or so for the newer 4K TV's (want a Vizio P50).

Glad that you enjoyed it, the kids make it along with Tommy, he is great!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

51dvvOwAr8L._SX425_.jpg

King Crimson Live in Argentina 1994

Poop. :(
The video on this double-DVD doesn't work. Every time the disk advances to the next track, a single still from that point in the concert shows on the screen, but no video. The sound is good (4.0), and it's the double-trio version of the band after a seven-year layoff! Fripp's liner notes tell of how they had to refurbish an abandoned theater in Argentina, including bribing folks who tried to take down their marquee and put up one for Yes instead; thru an odd mix of events everything came out okay and they sold out the shows.
But no video. Poop. :(

EDIT: well, in preparing to post a comment on Amazon I read that video is only available on the "DTS 4.0" setting, not on the "MLP 4.0 Lossless" setting. So I gots video now. Kinda poor video, many camera shots are out of focus completely, they've tried to superimpose clearer shots over them, its what they had to work with I guess. It was their first live show in seven years, so there are some loose ends and stumbles here and there. Recommended for rabid fans and collectors only.

Always loved this song:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S43t7f-awU[/youtube]

:music-listening:

CAtour.jpg

Caught the second half of this on Palladia, mebbe need to get the Bluray.
The pan shots of the crowd crack me up: buncha middle-aged lawyers, accountants and soccer dads! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Back