• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

Barney said:
(Eric & Jeff together.....BEAUTIFUL MUSIC)

Quiz Time: what band were both Clapton and Jeff Beck in? Hint: Jimmy Page was in this band too! :music-rockout:

Barney said:
510-uN%2BvNAL.jpg

Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
Love this bluray.
Vinne Colaiuta on drums is out of this world
Jason Rebello on keyboards, effortless & young
Tal Wilkenfeld on bass, this young girl can play the bass

Jeff had some guests: Joss Stone (only 1 song), Imogen Heap (this lady I need to find some stuff of her's, she is fun to listen too & man she can sing), and Eric Clapton on a couple songs (Eric & Jeff together.....BEAUTIFUL MUSIC)
Going to check out the extras later (Big Town Playboys) interviews etc.

^ One of my all time favorite concerts, quite the line up and guests.........

I was a disappointed when Tal was not on the Live In Tokyo concert, however Rhonda Smith is fantastic also.

EVOB248_500.png

Barney said:
Yardbirds I think....didn't look it up ?

dingdingding!
Yardbird Trivia: the lead singer was electrocuted via headphones. :?

Just got done watching this one................Ronnie Scott's it is not however......Very Good!

EVOB248_500.png

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-E1FBkzMms[/youtube]

1304273652_pink-floyd-pulse-1994-2006-2xdvd-9.jpg

So I finally watched this. Yeah it's a hell of a show. All the lights and video and glowing eyed pigs and exploding planes... wow! And yeah there were maybe some people on the stage playing instruments or something, it was hard to tell...

Ok yeah I have an opinion. I did like this show - especially One of These Days, and the backup vocals on the DSOTM set. But to me, it was more of a visual show than a musical performance; to be honest, despite how much I love LOVE Pink Floyd, the music didn't move me.

But I realize I'm in the minority here. The concert that did move me the most of the ones I've seen in recent years, everyone else here hated. So I know my opinion is ... unique. :laughing: That's okay. I respect what Pink Floyd has accomplished, and their realization that modern day concerts are as much about theater as they are about music (from reading one of the many books about their history). I liked the Pompeii video because it showed a more intimate, more "real" picture of them in their prime (and with Waters who was absent in Pulse), a very very different video from Pulse. Again, that's ok, multiple perspectives are good.

(I'm sorry if this post is whiny... yesterday, when I wrote this post (it got delayed), was a really shitty day, so part of this is a vent more than anything.)

PaulyT said:
So I finally watched this. Yeah it's a hell of a show. All the lights and video and glowing eyed pigs and exploding planes... wow! And yeah there were maybe some people on the stage playing instruments or something, it was hard to tell...

Ok yeah I have an opinion. I did like this show - especially One of These Days, and the backup vocals on the DSOTM set. But to me, it was more of a visual show than a musical performance; to be honest, despite how much I love LOVE Pink Floyd, the music didn't move me.

But I realize I'm in the minority here. The concert that did move me the most of the ones I've seen in recent years, everyone else here hated. So I know my opinion is ... unique. :laughing: That's okay. I respect what Pink Floyd has accomplished, and their realization that modern day concerts are as much about theater as they are about music (from reading one of the many books about their history). I liked the Pompeii video because it showed a more intimate, more "real" picture of them in their prime (and with Waters who was absent in Pulse), a very very different video from Pulse. Again, that's ok, multiple perspectives are good.

(I'm sorry if this post is whiny... yesterday, when I wrote this post (it got delayed), was a really shitty day, so part of this is a vent more than anything.)

Paul, in many ways I agree with you here. Pink Floyd's music is actually bone-headed simple, in chords, rhythms, and structure. Where they shine musically are in their lyrics, and especially, Gilmour's guitar solos; there, they fly above most other bands.
The lyrics always suggest visuals (and sound effects), which in a way always helps their live shows. There's fluff there, and real substance too, which is why I think they've always had such broad appeal.

shine_a_light_231283.jpeg

The mix on this is really terrible so far, Keith Richards' axe is way out front, and dayam, at least for this show, sucks!

This was in my mailbox when I got home from work yesterday..........

I made it 3/4 through and then had to be responsible.

WOW............

and I never new that Chester Thompson played with Zappa, what a treat!

Video Quality is adequate, not great, but the Audio was very good!

RIP Frank!

51NFNqDdLiL._SX385_.jpg

51NFNqDdLiL._SX385_.jpg

Got about halfway through this last night, will watch the rest when CNN's Blindsided: How ISIS Shook The World is completed.

Thanks for the head's-up Keith, and I agree with your assessment. Pic is DVD-quality (although it IS 16:9) but the 5.1 mix is fantastic! (Frank was always very meticulous about recording his live shows). I have a few of these tracks on an older CD, Roxy and Elsewhere, glad to have the full show. A couple of the percussion interludes, with Chester, Ralph Humphrey, Frank and Ruth Underwood all flying, are jawdropping. :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

My favorite treats are ones like this that fall, completely unexpectedly, out of nowhere and blow me away (Frank's been gone a long time now). Now, only if some similar footage from the J. Giels Band could be found (a group that I hated in their Heyday but whose rep as a killer live act only grows stronger). :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

PaulyT said:
1304273652_pink-floyd-pulse-1994-2006-2xdvd-9.jpg

I saw that tour in 1994 and it remains the best concert I've ever seen.

^^^I love Pulse. I also wish they would put out The Delicate Sound of Thunder on DVD. Another amazing show. Very similar to Pulse but FANTASTIC!!!^^^

capbr56768.jpg

So I just finished watching this. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order. Keep in mind I'm not all THAT familiar with the Beatles. Yeah I know their tunes in general, but I've never been a die-hard fan, so much of what I know about the progression of their career as a band is from this video (which is a very interesting documentary, IMHO).

- Everything I hear about Beatles is "John Lennon... John Lennon... John Lennon"... ad nauseum. But if I were basing my opinion solely on this video, it seems to me that Lennon was a minor player, that McCartney was the real star of the band. But I notice that all but one song on this collection is credited to Lennon/McCartney, so I assume Lennon's role was more as a song writer than as a "front man."

- The evolution of their music in ~8 years as shown in this video is remarkable. From the happy party band in their earlier years, to abstract stuff like Come Together, is fascinating to watch. I respect the fact that they really continued their musical evolution, that they didn't just stick with the popular, money-making stuff.

- The songs that really grabbed me from this set were "We Can Work it Out" (the beginning of their "interesting" music, in my terminology), and "Elenaor Rigby" (the solidification of that trend, before they got weird).

- It was hysterical to watch the progression from their dress in nice black suits with black ties, to neon silk uniforms. Wow. I know this was a sign of the times, and I consider them the first "big pop" band and also the genesis of the "MTV music video" style. Really interesting to watch this evolution.

- Holy shit the last few tracks are depressing, especially if you watch the demeanor of the band themselves, from the high-energy party band to the laconic "damn we kinda suck and I hate this and I wish it were over" feel of what they look like in the last few tracks.

- WTF is up with Lennon and Yoko Ono? I never got that. She's the ugliest man-chick I've ever seen. WTH? Well to each his own but I don't get it. I'm sure there was a whole lot going on behind the scenes, but that whole relationship did and still does strike me as bizarre.

- Overall, I'm totally unimpressed with the instrumental abilities of this band. Yeah they play ok. But most high school bands these days can do better, in terms of technical skill. Where the Beatles shine, IMHO, is their vocal harmonies (at least, in their earlier work, this seems to decline a lot later on), and in particular their song writing which I can begin to see the genius of.

Anyway, very enjoyable experience for me, and a deeper exploration into this band that I've ever come anywhere close to before. Fun!

This one was Damn Good! Much better than the first. Also watched the interviews from the Bonus Extra's very interesting to hear each members take on the band and it's music.

There are (2) sound position choices. I enjoyed the "Stage" surround better than the "Soundboard" surround mix.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

flying_colors_packshot_second-flight_live-at-the-z7.jpeg

I watched this one next, which I have not seen in quite a long time (2/15)...............

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

91V057SgI1L._SX522_.jpg

bought this for sister and cousin, both of them went to the concert and they were amazed by this concert.

not the best audio, couldve improved her mic volume just a wee bit.

other than that, its a kate perry beautiful colors great movement and fun concert.

CQpKT3qUcAA7H38.png

41u5h%2Bb4ueL._SX425_.jpg

Beautifully recorded, performed, and choreographed, and yet...
A Bluray, in stereo only?!?!?! I'm very disappointed in this.

I'm not aware of any new music from Mr. Vanelli in the past couple decades, but his Mobile Fidelity vinyl Powerful People recording is still one of my favorites. Nowadays he's a fit, handsome, leather-panted Sinatra/Humperdinkel vegas smoothie, the ladies on AA will love this. He IS a pretty incredible singer.... just wish this was in Surround... :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8rQ77Mlnw[/youtube]

Rush - R40

I made it through the first 45mins of this almost 3 hr concert.

PQ - GREAT
SQ - GREAT

One major problem for me........................there are some shots where the audio and video are perfectly in sync. Then there are others that are slightly out of sync and it drives me crazy!!!

81%2B4M5iSl1L._SY679_.jpg

Back