• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

920x920.jpg

Best of Austin City Limits: Radiohead.

In 1978/9, as a shiny, greasy freshman, I watched this weirdo NYC punk band on SNL, and laughed out loud in the dorm "day room" at how weird they were, and the lead singer's eyes were spooky as hell. The tall, brunette piano major whom I had a crush on said she loved them, and let me tape their album which she owned. I did so, more as a joke, but I couldn't stop listening to it and decided there must be something there, even though I couldn't really understand it. To this day, I still love Talking Heads.

Radiohead fits in the same drawer in my brain. Quirky as hell, less rhythmic but more into tonal sculpting than Talking Heads, and the lead singer has just-as-goofy eyes, although Thom's seem more due to a nerve defect, not sure. But, like TH, there must be something there. Enjoyable video. :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

The Best of Creamfield.

This is an EDM Festival in England somewhere, currently on MTV Live. I have some EDM (electronic dance music) CDs, and some of it (BT) is tremendously good. But this festival, and it's HUGE, has some DJs who don't seem to be doing much, including a cute blonde couple who mouth the words of their backing tracks, and the crowd goes nuts.
Earlier in the show they interviewed a bunch of show-goers, and they all talked about what losers they were, ate lunch by themselves in high school, and they finally found this "scene", and now fit in. All I see are incredibly hot nubile bodies, barely dressed, at the show.
I don't get it. I've become my parents.
But I have Steely Dan, so I'm okay with that. :happy-smileygiantred:

Just finished watching & listening to:
ZZ TOP, Live at Montreux
Just outstanding, Pin Cushion & I Gotsta Get Paid. Also noticed the Texas Longhorn emblem on the bass & guitar. .......HOOKEM HORNS

173729-L-LO.jpg

My first year in college opened my ears to a lot of different record collections, and one of the bands that I really took a liking to was The Alan Parsons Project. Very well-recorded (Alan was behind the desk for Dark Side of the Moon) and great thematic albums with good songwriting. Great headphone music.
Since bumping up to a 5.1 system I'd always wanted to get some of their material (in particular their two best albums I Robot and Pyramid) in 5.1, but there was nothing. Saw the above concert on Amazon as a pre-order, I hesitated as I didn't know if it'd just be orchestra arrangements of APP's greatest hits.
Happily, it isn't; this is a fantastic show, very well-performed and recorded!
For some reason I had always thought the APP were songs written and arranged by Alan, and performed by various studio musicians, with whatever male vocalist happened to be available (it sounded like a different singer on every song). It's now obvious to me that APP was an actual band, and it really sounds like he got most if not all the original members back. Alan himself played keys, rhythm guitar, and sang lead on some of the hits, which I didn't realize.
So, throw most of the original members on stage, still on their game, with a full orchestra and ~18-head choir, and his music comes to life, wow! Would still like to have two albums in 5.1, but this ain't a bad second choice. Recommended!

Yeah, I'd like to hear that. Right, my impression is that APP was a "real" band (but yeah multiple singers), just not a *touring* band.

Watching a "version" of the Steve Miller Band on MTV Live now. I don't know why.
I didn't even like playing his songs in a live band; they're so pedestrian and boring (he did write a few good songs, however).
During his heyday he had like 27 guitar players on stage, while the music was 65% keyboards and effects; here he has himself and another guitarist, a single harmony vocalist, and a keys guy also playing left-hand bass.
Not bad-sounding, for only a five-piece, but still (to my ears) the world's most successful garage band.
Meh.

It's now obvious to me that APP was an actual band, and it really sounds like he got most if not all the original members back. Alan himself played keys, rhythm guitar, and sang lead on some of the hits, which I didn't realize.
So, throw most of the original members on stage...

I thought I had posted a correction to the above (had a slow Friday afternoon and Wikipedia awhile back). I was wrong, none of the guys in this show were in the band before besides AP himself (and he only sang a vocoder part on the first album). So, he got some talented musicians with enough variance in their vocal styles/timbres that he did a damn good job of covering his catalog.

I'll bite. Who's the kid on the drums? Phil's son? Looks like he is about 14-15!!

Edit: I just googled Phil Collins son. Seems like he can bang the drums pretty well for a 14 year old kid..but what do I know?

Pat Metheny, The Unity Sessions

patmetheny_theunitysessions.jpg

This is a lot more bop jazz than the world-music stuff I'm familiar with from Pat. Chris Potter on tenor (he's been used a lot by Fagen/Steely Dan lately), and he's burning!

Last edited:
Well this was not as good as the VHS; The Deep End; Live at Brixton, however it is Pete and The Deep End. So I had to buy it!!

For a DVD the PQ was adequate and the SQ was only average, but like I said "Pete Rules" !!!!!

8149gwq1pBL._SX522_.jpg

Watching the season premiere of Austin City Limits, a full hour of The Dave Mathews Band. :cool: I was a huge fan for their first 5 albums or so, but haven't really listened to them much since. Band's expanded now, a ginormous trumpet player/background vocalist, and a full-time lead electric guitarist. I was apprehensive about the added Strat; the DMB had such a unique sound without it, but this guy has the magic talent of knowing when NOT to play. LeRoy* and Coffin are still there, and the finest rhythm section in rock is still intact too.
Really enjoying this, and may have to pick up a couple more CDs.

1177589-dave-matthews-band-617-409.jpg

*EDIT: My mistake, LeRoy was the recently-deceased horn player whom Coffin replaced; can't recall the fiddler's name right now.

Last edited:
Hey Botch, I watched as well.................thought it was great!

Tim Reynolds has been playing lead for them for a while now, and he is great and a great addition to the band.

Their last 2 albums in my opinion are really good!

I am hoping that they put out a new BR concert soon..................

Really digging the back ground singers .......

Joe looks stupid in his suit and tie.

Should be in jeans white tee and unslicked hair.

Just sayn'

This was only 50 min from the 2hr show. Not bad at all, but all blues covers.

Back