• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

From all analysis, it appears she was doing all the singing without lip-syncing
Completely disagree! This was one of the first things that was apparent to me. She was definitely lip-syncing when she started (on top of the stadium) and through her stage routine. The vocals were far too clean and refined to be live. Plus, you'd be able to hear the fluctuations in her voice while physically exerting herself while spinning upside down on those cables.

There were moments when she was playing the piano that I thought she may actually be singing though.

I am going to re-watch the performance, but I did hear her struggling with breathing a little and the mic tonality did fluctuate when the other dancer was holding the mic for her (the compressor kept the levels the same). I do think she was singing. Of course, she was singing to a backing track with a ton of backing and parallel singing which were her, so it was easy to get confused as to when she was singing and when she wasn't, from time to time. But I will watch again to see if I am right.

Several of my music producer friends felt the same as me that she was actually singing.

Okay, I am convinced she was singing live. Here's some of the more obvious instance of why I think it:
  • When she was on the pedestal at the beginning of the show (still on cables), she pulls the mic away while still singing at the end of one phrase and you can hear the sound fade out from that gesture
  • When she walked through the audience the first time the noise of the screams increases and becomes more specific and less general audience roar
  • When she is dancing her ass off during "Telephone" (the only time she wasn't holding back on the dancing) where her singing would truly suffer the most, she is singing to a track with three parts harmonizing with her lead and thus her lead vocal was blended in with the harmonies and any vocalization issues would be masked (and if you listen closely you can somewhat hear her live mic during that part)
  • When she is playing the key-tar (keyboard guitar) you can hear how sloppy her playing is and the voice tone when the dancer is carrying the mic for her varies in line with what I am seeing - the distance between mic and mouth is varying not perfectly in sync with the phrasing of the music
  • When she is playing piano and there isn't a bunch of music masking her breathing and gasps, you can hear her breathing and gasps for air
  • When the music breaks and she starts singing the chant at the beginning of "Romance" (or whatever the fuck that awful song is called), she gets ahead of the track and the music comes in about a eighth beat behind the tempo of her chanting
  • When she starts the chorus for "Romance" she clearly had the mic still too close to her mouth and the sound guy slowly backed it off through that first phrase
  • At the end of Romance after the dancers do that weird massed group moving box thing, you can hear her sing one line of the chant very clearly
  • Then when she backs up and sings "I want your love, I want your romance" while swinging her arm down to point forward - you can hear her diaphragm pump during and after the world "love" from the arm gesture while she is singing
  • At the very end when she is walking up the stairs and singing the chant from "Romance" you can hear how out of breath she is and on the last note of the song she barely makes it and the note isn't what you would expect, it was like she just gave up and yelled "Superbowl 51!" to get it over with
  • Throughout the performance she clearly inserted shout outs, spoken words, and so on which were in-line with the singing tonality and the noise of the audience didn't alter from her doing that - she could have been lip-syncing those shouted lines, but that is MUCH harder to choreograph since they are not rhythmically aligned with the music
  • Likewise, throughout the show when she is singing she doesn't fully participate in the dancing with the same intensity as the other dancers. She is holding back and the choreography is designed to allow her to sing while partly dancing

Those are some of the reasons I am convinced she was actually singing during the show.

And please, dear lord, don't make me listen to that shitty music any longer. She is a grand talent, but I cannot stand that music.

Yeah, given her breathing in some of those parts, I tend to think she wasn't lip syncing.

Completely disagree! This was one of the first things that was apparent to me. She was definitely lip-syncing when she started (on top of the stadium) and through her stage routine. The vocals were far too clean and refined to be live. Plus, you'd be able to hear the fluctuations in her voice while physically exerting herself while spinning upside down on those cables.

There were moments when she was playing the piano that I thought she may actually be singing though.

Someone released her mic feed from the halftime show:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...-halftime-performance-is-something-to-behold/

My counter is this: she was singing along with a prerecorded track.

As an example, around the 5:17 mark in the original video she sings "stop calling, stop calling, I don't want to think anymore". Around the 5:10 mark in the above video, the word "think" is all but absent.

And I stand by my original comment: the vocals were far too clean and refined to be sung live. And this new video proves that because the vocals are anything but clean and refined.

You can accept my premise or you can cite "reasonable people can disagree". I'm fine with either.

Nice and Big ................. Just Like The Band!!! :nyah:

71GG35Ii8xL._SL1500_.jpg

I saw this once before at Bats GTG.............

Enjoyed it much better the second time..

71CZkDtZa-L._SX466_.jpg

^ I probably didn't focus as much on it during the GTG..............Great Show, Great Bat Theater, Great People!!

Toto-Montreux-91-DVD-cover-lr.jpg

Good show, esp. for Toto fans who want a sense of history. Hard to believe this show is 26 years old! The PQ and SQ are fantastic; if this had been filmed last month, I'd be happy with it. As it is... wow. Anyway, fun to see these guys relatively young (compared to the other vids I have of them). Enjoyed the music very much, especially Rosanna and Red House (a Hendrix blues tune, also done by SRV and this performance is dedicated to him and sort of in his style). Only slight disappointment is that it's only 8 songs (including a finale that's not one of theirs) and a little over an hour long.

Got this primarily to see Jeff Porcaro, filmed shortly before his death. Not sure I've ever seen video of him live before. And I'd forgotten that Mike Porcaro died not too long ago, as well. In this show, Lukather looks like an overgrown 18yo :laughing: and Paich looks like he's about to keel over from a heart attack anytime. I still maintain my opinion of Lukather, that he's about 70% show and 30% substance... but he has his moments.

Just got this one. The video is grainy, the sound is less than what we are used to but its still pretty cool.

71bHgzrz-UL.jpg

Neil_Young_in_Neil_Young:_Heart_of_Gold_Wallpaper_4_1280.jpg

I recorded this on my DVR I don't know how long ago, am only finally watching it. Killer! Been only country mode/acoustic (so far) but he's using a sparse horn section that works, surprisingly.
I hated NY when I first was exposed to him (freshman in college, his Crazy Horse years) but he's grown on me, a lot.

^^^ and wow, just noticed this was another Jonathan Demme doc! RIP

I've been catching sections of McCartney & Wing's "Rock Show" on MTV Live, what a great damn show, even with poor video. Paul is the consummate performer, doesn't miss a note and ENJOYS being in front of a crowd, so much!

51RMbXDGF6L.jpg

Even though only in Stereo, this was great fun.................The audio was clean and so was the video.

35 years ago................my God?

This was one of my favorite 80's bands................Don't Tell Me You Love Me......................

71bK5Cu7uVL._SL1200_.jpg

Back