• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

Lou_reed_berlin_live_cd_cover.jpg

This just started on Palladia, and I'll give it some time. I never posted on Mr. Reed's "RIP" thread; I never "got" him. I like the record "Wild Side", particularly the sax solo which closes out the record (ultimate cool!), but the only album of his I ever bought was "Blue Mask" or something like that, and I hated it.
There are a few highly-praised artists I've never liked or understood (Lennon, Kobain, Sinatra, Grateful Dead) and Reed tops that list; however, every once in awhile I suddenly understand what the fuss is/was about (Neil Young is the big one for me) so I'll give this guy another chance. Stay tuned. :shhh:

Okay, I gave it 42 minutes. This is garbage. I'm switching to Cupcake Wars or something else meaningful. :puke-front:

Zing said:
Anyhow, I can't even begin to calculate the amount of hours we spent watching this. We'd pop the tape in the VCR, turn on the stereo and fire up Dolby through a pair of speakers flanking the TV. Good Times.

These are sweet memories! All of the songs from 'Live In Australia' had such an impact on our early years! Especially, 'I Need You To Turn To' !

Botch said:
To watch him, virtually over his shoulder, play so fantastic, yet so nonchalantly, is a Treat!
Thanks Again!!!

I luv the fact that you pointed this out, such talent! And may I add, as Zing said, even in a drug/alcohol induced state, he was flawless!!!

So glad you enjoyed it!

Dream-Theater-Live-at-Luna-Park-DE.jpg

I have so been looking forward to this!

I am soooo disappointed!! :(

This disc should've been called F*ckin' JOHN PETRUCCI and Dream Theater. The mix is terrible! All you can hear is guitar, whether lead or rhythm; the bass and drums are there, barely; laBrie's vocals are mostly coming out of the surround speakers and barely understandable, and Rudess might've just as well stayed home; even soloing you can't hardly hear the keyboards.

They put some money into filming this show (Argentina), lots of nice panning, zooming and moving cameras, and the performance itself was good. But, 5 tracks into it, I had to take it out, too damn much guitar and nothing else.

Sooooo disappointed! Would love to get my money back and double-dip on Live at Budokon, on Bluray….

Well, after tossing the Dream Theater dreck that I had on my doorstep last night, I threw in the disk I had on the doorstep tonight:

sw-350.jpg

Steven Wilson, Drive Home

At first I struggled to bring up the 5.1 mix, couldn't get a menu, or a Guide, or an Info page, or even Exit. :angry-banghead:
A broken Harmony One, spilled half-beer and one slightly-damaged sheetrock later, I thoughtfully replaced the CD with the Bluray disk. Ah, that's better. :shifty:
This isn't a new album, exactly. It seems to be a smattering of old tracks with new video/animations set to them ( a couple of them pretty stunning!), and some concert footage (haven't seen any Wilson/Porcupine concert video up to this point) and some other things on the disk that haven't come up yet.
Pretty sure I recognize Adam Holtzman on the concert footage, will check the fine print tomorrow when my eyes can focus that small. I'll post a bit more on this after I've watched the whole thing; so far, very worth the $$. :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch said:
Dream-Theater-Live-at-Luna-Park-DE.jpg

I have so been looking forward to this!

I am soooo disappointed!! :(

This disc should've been called F*ckin' JOHN PETRUCCI and Dream Theater. The mix is terrible! All you can hear is guitar, whether lead or rhythm; the bass and drums are there, barely; laBrie's vocals are mostly coming out of the surround speakers and barely understandable, and Rudess might've just as well stayed home; even soloing you can't hardly hear the keyboards.

They put some money into filming this show (Argentina), lots of nice panning, zooming and moving cameras, and the performance itself was good. But, 5 tracks into it, I had to take it out, too damn much guitar and nothing else.

Sooooo disappointed! Would love to get my money back and double-dip on Live at Budokon, on Bluray….

Thanks Botch, this one was on my list, but off now due to your review................

Botch said:
live-in-athens-bd.jpg

I'll post my thoughts here on a dedicated thread tomorrow. This may be the best concert video. Ever. :music-rockout:

The Bluray concert is 177 minutes long, the accompanying DVD, with ALL his music videos, is 153 minutes. The warmup band alone, Le Super Etoile de Dakar, was worth the purchase price.

Stay tuned. :music-listening:

This one is on deck for this weekend! I hope that it is half as good as you say.......................

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Botch said:

Zing & I enjoyed this last night! Not too bad! I really enjoyed the 11 piece ensemble!

My two favorites were...

Can't Stop The Rain
People Get Ready

:handgestures-thumbup:

Babs said:
433_front.jpg

Thank you Pauly! :bow-blue:

Giving this another listen!!!! I have alwaYs loved brass!!! Especially Chicago!

Luv this man!! Extremely talented with an incredible following!!!

Another :bow-blue:

dv20.jpg

Zing, thanks for this - it was a lot of fun! I know the album of it very well - which I guess was really the second half of the concert, the part with the orchestra. I was a little disappointed that the video doesn't include two of my favorite songs (Greatest Discovery, and Tonight), but still, the whole family had a blast watching this tonight. The girls were amazed by his piano tricks - playing lying down underneath it - and his wigs and costumes, but I think they really enjoyed the music as well, especially Kaya. I enjoyed seeing Elton live for really the first time, never seen him in anything other than MTV videos before. I gotta say, he's got the most intense tambourine player I've ever seen! :laughing: Yeah the PQ sucked bad, but oh well, I'm glad it exists at all, and it was fun for me to match the video with the music I've known so well.

Babs said:
Babs said:
433_front.jpg

Thank you Pauly! :bow-blue:

Giving this another listen!!!! I have alwaYs loved brass!!! Especially Chicago!

Luv this man!! Extremely talented with an incredible following!!!

Another :bow-blue:

That's cool, I should get that one. The video I played for you at your place was the Boston concert, actually:

51ueUTd2YaL.jpg

Would be interesting to compare.

PaulyT said:
I gotta say, he's got the most intense tambourine player I've ever seen!
That is the amazing Ray Cooper. He's been a percussionist for Elton for almost as long as I've been a fan of Elton's. And that's approaching 4 decades now.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

PaulyT said:
The video I played for you at your place was the Boston concert, actually:
We know. We bought both. She's just thanking you for turning her on to Chris Botti in general.

Cool. Glad you like it, or at least Babs does. :laughing:

^I did (do) too. It's the Rita Coolidge show I had no shortage of issues with. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Back