• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

Pretty sure Jo and the kids have forced him to view a few movies that were not up to his standards of what that theater was built for.

Watched Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016) in the main HT last night.

If I was disappointed with the choice for the titular character with Jack Reacher (2012) I was even (much much) more so in this one.

Reacher is right up there at the top of my list of favourite literary characters. That persona is well-established through a dozen + books. There is a chiseled (literally) image of him in mind: his look, mannerisms, everything about him.) Tom (the midget) Cruise has none (I repeat none) of that. Even if you see the character allegorically, Cruise does not even come close to evoking him.

On the other hand I thought that the casting of Turner and Samantha's characters (Cobie Smulders and Danika Yarosh) was brilliant. They were exactly as I had imagined them in the book(s).

So would it have been better even if I had never read the books? You know, probably not. Many of the scenes (especially the action / fight ones) became absolutely pointless and unbelievable with Cruise in them.

And one other quibble: in all of the books there's actually some decent crime solving / mystery going on. The Reacher character puts the pieces of the puzzle together and we participate in an almost Holmes-like manner. There was none of that in this one. We jump from plot element to plot element to plot element with almost no logical connection. In the big reveal at the end, all we got was Cruise mouthing the words "No. It doesn't add up" - without us ever knowing how he reached that conclusion. Pathetic!

Jeff

jeff, can i ask a favor,

id love to start reading the books, but dont have an inclination as to how to 'start' reading it chronologically.

if you'd rather pm me id appreciate that too.

jeff, can i ask a favor,

id love to start reading the books, but dont have an inclination as to how to 'start' reading it chronologically.

if you'd rather pm me id appreciate that too.
jomari,

I was put on to the Reacher series about five years ago by a friend. He lent me the first book in the series and after that I simply went to my library and borrowed them in order of publication.

Here's a wiki list of the novels. I suggest you simply go in order. I don't suggest skipping any (they're all good!) mostly because there are new plot elements introduced in each one that sometimes get carried forward through the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher_(book_series)

There are some books that are entirely set in Reacher's past, and some with flashbacks within the stories. But again, I still think it best to simply go in order of publication.

Enjoy!

Jeff

I started the series trying to go in chronological order. Thwarted by my library paucity of books available I am now going in however I can. I seem to be having more luck going in publishing order, partly because one of the newest published books is older in chronology , if that makes any sense. I am through three so far and have a few more to go!!:biggrin:

I came across the movie on TV with Tom Cruise, watched part of it late at night but fell asleep. Thought it was my kind of genre and I am enjoying them. But as Jeff mentioned , I am now soured by the fact that in my minds eye I now see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, which is SO wrong.

160977_large.jpg

^ They advertise it as the Best Bourne Yet..................nah, I don't think so............

Barb and I thought it was okay, no where near great.

Some of you know our friends Greg & Jen. Well, Jen and Babs got together yesterday and did some girly shit so Greg came down to do some manly shit which was to watch Deadpool (because he hadn't seen it). Afterwards, he suggested watching another movie. I told him I hadn't yet watched The Martian or Creed. He chose Creed. It was surprisingly good, especially since it was basically Rocky 6. It had a very predictable-then-unpredictable-then-predictable-again-then-unpreditcable-again story. Definitely recommended for those who haven't seen it.

Creed.jpg

^I haven't seen, nor am I interested in seeing, Suicide Squad; I've heard from too many people that it's horrible.

The wife and I saw Hidden Figures last night - we really liked it.

Yeah from someone who wanted to love it, Suicide Squad was a major disappointment. I thought Margo Robbie's Harley Quinn was worth the watch (maybe only if you're familiar with the character) but aside from that and maybe Leto's Joker, there's not much to speak highly of. The cast was solid but couldn't redeem an awful and disjointed story and godawful villain and final act.

Yeah from someone who wanted to love it, Suicide Squad was a major disappointment. I thought Margo Robbie's Harley Quinn was worth the watch (maybe only if you're familiar with the character) but aside from that and maybe Leto's Joker, there's not much to speak highly of. The cast was solid but couldn't redeem an awful and disjointed story and godawful villain and final act.

Margo Robbie stole every scene she was in. I would watch the movie again just for her, but the rest was pretty flat.

We watched The Accountant the other night. All of us thought it was a solid action thriller. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

Thanks for the comments about Suicide Squad, I thought maybe I was missing something..........NOPE! The audio track was also pretty poor considering all the action. The PQ was good though.

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last week. Really enjoyed it. John Goodman was excellent and the audio was fantastic.

I didn't like the end, but up until the final 15 minutes or so.....really enjoyed it.

Back