• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

I recall watching MST3K recovering from hangovers in college. Loved the show and the comments from the robots had me rolling.

Just watched Star Trek Into Darkness what a great movie just as good as the last one. Definitely a buy for me.

MatthewB said:
Just watched Star Trek Into Darkness what a great movie just as good as the last one. Definitely a buy for me.

UltraViolet HD for $5 on uvswap.com. I'll definitely snag the BD too at some point, but I'll either grab it used or wait for the price to come down.

^ I was supposed to get that from N-flix on Tuesday but didn't. They may still be throttling. :angry-cussingblack:

DIYer said:
^ I was supposed to get that from N-flix on Tuesday but didn't. They may still be throttling. :angry-cussingblack:

Movie studios have NF throttled for 30 days after release.

Rope

Haywood thanks for letting me know about UVSwap ( never heard of it). I wound up buying four movies in HDX for 5.00/ ea. I'd rather buy em on UV than the physical disc so I can share the movies with my mom ( she's a movie nut like me).
Bought the ne Star Trek, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained and Here Comes the Boom.

Now I don't have to buy the physical discs at three times the cost.

MatthewB said:

Just watched that tonight and really enjoyed it. But now I need to watch ST2 next--luckily Netflix has it streaming.

MatthewB said:
Haywood thanks for letting me know about UVSwap ( never heard of it). I wound up buying four movies in HDX for 5.00/ ea. I'd rather buy em on UV than the physical disc so I can share the movies with my mom ( she's a movie nut like me).
Bought the ne Star Trek, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained and Here Comes the Boom.

Now I don't have to buy the physical discs at three times the cost.

There are movies that I still want to have on Blu-Ray for that extra measure of perfection, but it certainly isn't every movie. HDX is close enough to Blu-Ray to be completely acceptable to me for most content. I also think it is lunacy to pay top dollar for a new release Blu-Ray when I can score an HDX copy for $5 and then snag a used Blu-Ray for $6 off familyvideo.com a month or two later or simply pick it up in a bargain bin or on sale down the road.

On the other hand, I don't see myself paying $20 for an UltraViolet-only movie. At that price, I'd rather have the disc. I'm still figuring out the balance, because my perfect world of having everything on both Blu-Ray and HDX is not going to happen. In that perfect world, I would use discs in my home theater and Vudu everywhere else in and out of the house.

At current pace of conversions and acquisitions, I should hit the 400 movie mark on Vudu by year's end. I'm hoping to bump that to 500-600 by exploiting my father's library before the 50% off deal ends on January 31st.

Haywood I simply got into UV for my mothers sake. She loves movies and got me hooked when I was younger. My father hates movies and TV in general ( unless football or CNN is on). So slowly turning my vast collection for my mom is my striving force. I currently have 181 movies and just started this less than a year ago. You are correct though why spend top dollar for Blurays opening day when paying 5.00 for close to Bluray quality ythan buy the disc when prices really drop. Heck I own the Blurays of many movies and just watch UV. I also like the fact that I have recently upgraded my regular DVD's to HDX for 2.50/ea ensuring I don't have to double dip on the Bluray.

I saw an ad today in this months Electronic House talking about buying the Kaleidascope server and for 10,000 you can basically have 100 Blurays at your disposal. I'm thinking 10K I have 181 movies and its cost me a few hundred to convert all these. Heck at Bats last GTG I converted about 90 movies for 1.00/ ea can't beat that.

I currently have 287 movies in my Vudu library. All but one (Oz the Great and Powerful) are UV and all of them are HDX. One disappointment with the disc-to-digital conversion is that some of the movies only have stereo sound (fortunately, not many). Hopefully, they will fix that at some point. I have a bit more than 80 eligible movies left in my collection to convert.

My father is also a movie buff and has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200-1500 discs. He's running through his collection now and doing as many conversions as possible. When he's done, we are going to look at each other's converted libraries and make wish lists. Then we will log into each other's accounts and do a bunch of conversions. I'm hoping to pick up a couple hundred movies that way.

51H7YQZFSQL._SY300_.jpg

Finally watched this one................2.5 out of 5, however the plane crash scene...................... :scared-yipes:

Oblivion
oblivion-main_1.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised how entertaining this movie is. The reviews were less than stellar so I didn't give it much expectation or rush to see it. It's got real good mystery and some twists. Picture and audio quality are top notch! A lots of demo materials in this. Definitely a "buy" for those who like to impress their guests with surround sound and LFE. :handgestures-thumbup:

The common criticisms I see online are the lack of originality in story. Well, in this day and age, is there anything original in movies? Acting was decent and I thought the writing was well done.

4 stars out of 5 from me. :dance:

I watched a documentary concerning bisexuals. The title is G.I. Don't Know. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

From my collection, the exceptional Edge of the City (1957) with Cassavetes and Poitier.

Jeff

By the by, this month has probably been the best month of movies ever shown on TCM. Not just because it's been Hitchcock month. They've been showing some of the most amazing movies since the dawn of film. Literally. The month is only half over. I suggest you check it out.

We recently watched Now You See Me and man, I love a good heist movie, but this one failed on so many levels. The entire premise just seemed SO implausible I couldn't get past it. And I can suspend my disbelief as good as just about anyone. But this one just didn't do it for me at all.

Watched Elysium the other day at a local theater that has a $5 deal (certain movies, certain times for $5). Elysium was...pretty good I guess. Nothing special. Some glaring plot holes but not bad. It was District 9 with a budget. Really like that South African guy that was in both movies.

Back