• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

lulimet said:
http://fortheloveoffilm.org/wp-content/themes/gumball-special/post-images/mud-poster.jpg

What a good movie. Good story and great acting by the two kids and McConaughey. 4/5 for me.[/quote]

Don't forget Sam Shepard small role but pivotal. Your right very good well acted movie.

mash-blu-ray.jpg

Like all the movies I saw in college, my liquid refreshment intake erased my memories of the second-half of this one. Who the **** put a pro football game, complete with uniforms, into this war movie?!?!? :snooty:

gawd-damn Army....

EDIT: I also completely missed the fantastic Lord's Supper setup during the hung dentist's suicide meal; classic! :handgestures-thumbup:

Botch the lords supper is where the theme song for the TV series came from. Not many people realize the theme song is called "Suicide is Painless".

MatthewB said:
Not many people realize the theme song is called "Suicide is Painless".

My roommate and I in college performed that song at an "open mic" night once; beautiful song.

DIYer said:
Gravity

5161QnHQawL._SY300_.jpg

I liked this movie a lot.

4 stars out of 5 from me. :handgestures-thumbupright:

3 1/2 out of 5 for me.

The CGI was extremely impressive with only a few cases where the CG was obvious and distracting. There was a TON of very, very low bass (felt not heard) in the movie which added a nice sense of realism to some scenes.

I was a little disappointed with the final third of the story but to explain would require spoilers so I'll just leave it at that.

Still ... I'm not disappointed in the purchase at all.

Towen7 said:
I was a little disappointed with the final third of the story
The movie has an underlying message which is to know when to let go of things and when to not give up. To me, the message wasn't obvious right away like some movies but it started to sink in afterwords. I would say that's one of the aspect of well made movie.

Searching-For-Sugarman.jpg

Highly recommended, very interesting true story. I don't want to give anything away, but basically it's about a folk music writer/singer from ~1970 who never took off in the states, but who was wildly popular in South Africa, and about the search for what happened to him.

I've recently seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (I'd give it a 5.5/10), Godzilla (8/10) and X-Men: Days of Future Past (7.5/10) haven't watched a BD in the Batcave in a while...c'mon gtg!! :happy-smileygiantred:

PaulyT said:
Searching-For-Sugarman.jpg

Highly recommended, very interesting true story. I don't want to give anything away, but basically it's about a folk music writer/singer from ~1970 who never took off in the states, but who was wildly popular in South Africa, and about the search for what happened to him.

Haven't seen the movie, and I think Botch posted something about this movie awhile back after they did a piece on 60 minutes. I went out and bought the cd after I heard a couple of samples. Tragically, the director of this movie just killed himself last week.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-of-Smaug-Image.jpg

One word, "wow". :eek: The images and special effects set a new bar in this movie. The enchanting images were mind boggling especially the abandoned cave prison scene and the ruined castle where the Orcs were hiding out. Some scenes were downright scary and it's not a horror movie. The village built on lake is another eye candy. I haven't had a chance to keep the volume at the level I wanted so I can't really judge the SQ but it seems good so far.

Now the only gripe.
Spoiler alert

The dragon (Smaug) speaks English which is ok but I felt that it talks too much. Or they (writer / director) gave it too many lines to cover. To me, it started to loose its menacing presence when it communicates so easily with humans (or humanoids).

Spoiler alert end

I would have given it 5 stars out of 5 but because of that gripe, it gets 4 out of 5 stars from me. Still very entertaining. :handgestures-thumbupright:

^I didn't see the first Hobbit movie and have no intention to but I'm somewhat interested in this one. Do you think seeing the first movie is necessary to enjoy it? I've seen the LotR trilogy...

Crap. Aside from a few demo scenes I pretty much hated the LotR trilogy and I really don't want to subject myself to any more of that crap than necessary.

^ If you hated LOTR trilogy then you may not like this particular one because it's pretty much the same tone (so to speak). But then again, if you watch it and liked it, that in turn may change your view about this franchise. Only you can judge for yourself.

I'm willing to forgive any mind-numbingly long, boring, repetitious battle scenes if the dragon scenes are worth it. The dragon is what I remember the most from reading the book as a kid...

Yes, there is a good action scene with the dragon in the last quarter of the movie. But as I wrote in the spoiler paragraph above... well, just watch this movie and you be the judge.

I too just finished watching The Hobbit DoS. Very good movie. I thought the special effects were fantastic. I actually thought it was better then part one and of course left you at a cliffhanger. Well worth watching.

Back