• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Who sits down and listens to music?

I was enjoying lunch with a good friend today who I don't get to see often enough. Somehow the topic of "alone time" came up and I mentioned my joy in getting to spend an hour here and there listening to music - of course being single in a huge home makes it easy to do now - he said that with three kids and a stressed out wife he doesn't ever get to listen to music anymore. That made me sad. Then he said that the only time he really even hears music now is when he turned on the radio in his car and he absolutely hates what is playing on the local rock stations.

I feel bad for my friend.

Well invite him over for a listening session. It sounds like it might do him a world of good.

I can relate to that. Three kids all in sports and activities. Wife has two different part time careers (not jobs, careers) and my work keeps me very busy as well. It is very difficult to find time. But, I think that the mental health benefits almost compell me to find a little time here and there. Like making time to exercise, time to enjoy something else that you love is important. I was quite enjoying my SECOND album last night when I was asked to turn down the music as everyone was going to bed. At least I got SOME time though. Oh. And he first album was I rerouted for a few minutes two times for mini stick games.

Oh. And I'd like to give thanks to the members on this Forum. Your enthusiasm and passion for this hobby has reminded and inspired me to get back to something I really enjoy. So thanks for that!

A desire to increase our joy in listening to music is one of the common reasons most of us joined this forum.

What to play tonight? Wife and daughter are out shopping. Just me and my old friend John Black, and some ice.

What to play tonight? Wife and daughter are out shopping. Just me and my old friend John Black, and some ice.

I just finished my listening session A bunch of various artists. Dave Matthews, Annie Lennox, Gwen Stefani, Donald Fagon, Bonnie Raitt, Boston, Avril Lavigne, Boz Scaggs And more

I was enjoying lunch with a good friend today who I don't get to see often enough. Somehow the topic of "alone time" came up and I mentioned my joy in getting to spend an hour here and there listening to music - of course being single in a huge home makes it easy to do now - he said that with three kids and a stressed out wife he doesn't ever get to listen to music anymore. That made me sad. Then he said that the only time he really even hears music now is when he turned on the radio in his car and he absolutely hates what is playing on the local rock stations.

I feel bad for my friend.

I feel bad too but he’s got to take some ownership here. I get that he cannot sit for an hour or more but surely he can listen while he commutes or pop in some earbuds as he goes about his day.

Searching for that punchy bassie demo stuff.
Dr. John "Dis, Dat or D'Udda". Track 6 off of...

51fPU16aShL.jpg

Quadrophonic (4.0) DVD-Audio versions of The Doobie Brothers' Stampede and What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits.

My gosh I love that music!

Jeff

Just learning how the system sounds with diversity. And it sounds fantastic!! Searching for that punchy bassie demo stuff.
One the best demo disc I have is by Gordon Goodwins "Big Phat Band". Great fast paced, for the most part, Remake of big band music. The horns on these CD's are breathtaking. Plenty of punchy clean bass and really great music. It's a must buy for anyone who wants to hear what their system can and can't do. BUY ONE.

Wasn't it Dane that had the bathroom system? Good way to spend 15 minutes listening to music while doing your business.

Bonnie Raitt's; Good Man Good Woman and Tangled and Dark really slam

Spyro Gyra; Breakfast at Igor's and You Can Count on Me........great!!!

About every two weeks or so my girlfriend spends the night at her moms house. So I spend those evenings just kicking back with some music and getting lost. Tonight was one of those nights so I put on some Shirley Bassie greatest hits and some Stanley Jordan and The Fifth Dimension.

I've been doing something this Christmas vacation that I haven't done in years: sitting down in the sweet spot and just listening to great albums like Rumors, Exile on Main Street and Quadrophenia, to name a few. I'd forgotten how amazing that can be and plan to do more of it as time permits.

Ok were into the new year and I did get down and listen to Stravinsky Firebird suite and Holtz suite in E and F.

Thought I'd update this thread...

With the completion of my upgraded replacement super-duper low distortion main speakers in my listening room, I find I spend more time lost in listening sessions than in recent years. Sure, there were times with headphones or even in my car where an album I love would entrance me through completion. But, the new experience is shockingly revealing and completely engaging for me. I find it magical - the ability to completely relinquish my emotions and mental energy to the music of the recording. I love it - and I am finding new nuance and detail, even new instruments I didn't notice before, in the sound of these new speakers. It is scary in some ways - but always delightful.

Back