• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony UBP-X800

I forgot to mention, that my unit has locked up twice on me in the last few days, requiring a plug pull to get it going again. First time it happened when I hit the update services button, and the second yesterday when trying to open Netflix. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

On mine when watching a BD or 4k disc if I stop it (not pause) at times the unit freezes with a flashing home screen. If I disconnect the HDMI connection and then reconnect everything is fine, It does not happen if watching a regular DVD.

Only problem i have had so far.

Freezing, HDMI issues, slow firmware fixes … You guys are make me less confident that this is the player for me.

Freezing, HDMI issues, slow firmware fixes … You guys are make me less confident that this is the player for me.

The occasional issue I have is more than worth the enjoyment I receive watching it. (of course I only paid $149) ;)

On mine when watching a BD or 4k disc if I stop it (not pause) at times the unit freezes with a flashing home screen. If I disconnect the HDMI connection and then reconnect everything is fine, It does not happen if watching a regular DVD.

Only problem i have had so far.
I have heard of multiple situations where the unit freezes (fortunately neither of mine have so far!) and stuff needs to be unplugged and plugged back in again. It's one of the reasons (based on past experience) that both of my units' power cords are plugged in where it's really easy to see and reach them.

Older Sony models would take a minute or so to reboot. I suspect that the X800 is much faster, based on the time or two that I unplugged a unit to move it elsewhere.

And this just reminded me that there is another small issue that I have: about half the time a unit will not immediately recognize a USB stick when plugged into its front USB jack. You can see the stick's LED flash, but it does not get recognized in the unit's GUI - even after a minute or two. Pulling it and plugging it in again takes care of the problem.

Jeff

It's really a pretty decent player, Towen. So far just a few hiccups for me, and the picture, when it has a good source, is phenomenal. A well authored Bluray will look almost as good as a 4K disk.

But look at it this way: better forewarned than not! At least when it drops back down to a ridiculously low price (like we all bought it for!) you'll be buying yours with eyes wide open.

Mine came frozen up. It then froze up one more time in the week following that but has been perfect for months now. It gets used nearly everyday.

But look at it this way: better forewarned than not! At least when it drops back down to a ridiculously low price (like we all bought it for!) you'll be buying yours with eyes wide open.

And I appreciate you all for that.

I haven't had a single issue with mine, but I'm not using it for 4k.

Got an email about a Sony player from Amazon, turned out to be just a bluray player, but decided to see where the price was at on the X800, and the first listing was still $248. Second listing, still Prime, was a bundle which pretty much was just the player and hdmi cable, but they were selling it for $180. For those interested, that's not a bad price.

Has anyone experienced abnormally dark and/or drab color image quality when using this player with 4K discs?

A friend called me today complaining of these issues. He's using this player fed directly to an Epson HC4000 projector. When he uses the streaming apps, he gets a vibrant, bright, eye-popping 4K image. But when he put in any of his 4K BDs, the image was dark and all color was dull and washed out.

Would a setting in one of the components need to be adjusted? Could the HDMI cable be causing this? It's just odd that traditional BDs and the 4K streaming apps yield the expected results but the 4K BDs do not.

I've only played 5 4k discs but had zero problems. I'm betting either his cable, or settings are off. From what I understand 4k hates long HDMI runs.

I kind of complained about similar things when I first got this player, but mine was more a complaint about mosquito noise on the 4K disks, but that they also didn't look as good as 4K streamed stuff. Ask him how his blurays look played through this player, as I think it does a great job upconverting, and at times, the blurays look better than some of the 4K disks I own.

I'd tell him to check his settings, was just in mine last night, and everything that deals with color or resolution is set to auto. Could be there's a setting his tv doesn't like. The other thing to check, at least with my tv, not all inputs are completely 4K compliant. On my tv, input 1 is the best to use for 4K. The other inputs will accept a 4K signal, and this is where I'm gonna fall short on the explination, but they don't accept a full 4K signal, or something like that.

Went on a mini vacation and came home to find that my X-800 was locked up. Pulled the plug and restarted it. Now all my apps, hell all the apps are gone with no way of adding them. I use the apps daily. Anyone else with this issue?

Went on a mini vacation and came home to find that my X-800 was locked up. Pulled the plug and restarted it. Now all my apps, hell all the apps are gone with no way of adding them. I use the apps daily. Anyone else with this issue?

My guess would be to try a factory reset ..

E4B13600-7E8E-4615-9A7D-E715A4FEFBC4.jpeg 5677B315-FA77-4DFD-A40B-E2906D704703.jpeg

I'm guessing this will be my only fix. It seems every Sony brand piece of equipment/TV I've ever owned has these strange bugs in them. Great performers but be prepared for issues.
No good, no change. Very odd. I did notice that the YouTube app stopped working a month ago. I'm guessing a software update is in the works.

No good, no change. Very odd. I did notice that the YouTube app stopped working a month ago. I'm guessing a software update is in the works.

That sucks man.
I suppose it’s beyond the return-by date.

I need to look into what I need to do to get sound from my TV to my receiver. I can then use the TV's built in Apps. I'm guessing I need to run an optical out to the receiver. I hate pulling all that shit out......again. Roku for now.

I have said it (many times) before: Sony is notoriously lousy (to put it politely) at issuing firmware updates to correct known post-sale issues. Over the years I have contacted them directly on a number of occasions, only to be told that I'm SOL - if they even deem to reply.

My previous warnings were so that people could go into a Sony purchase with eyes wide open.

Jeff

Back