• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony UBP-X800

I have said it (many times) before: Sony is notoriously lousy (to put it politely) at issuing firmware updates to correct known post-sale issues. Over the years I have contacted them directly on a number of occasions, only to be told that I'm SOL - if they even deem to reply.

My previous warnings were so that people could go into a Sony purchase with eyes wide open.

Jeff
I've never had any long term luck with Sony. That's why I ended up with the Samsung TV.

That sucks Jack! I've been working a bunch lately, so I haven't played around with it much, but did watch a bluray with the grandson yesterday without any problems.

That sucks Jack! I've been working a bunch lately, so I haven't played around with it much, but did watch a bluray with the grandson yesterday without any problems.
The player its self started working right away after a simple unplugging of the cord. I have a Roku and also built in apps on my TV so really it's no big deal. I just liked using the players interface the most.

The player its self started working right away after a simple unplugging of the cord. I have a Roku and also built in apps on my TV so really it's no big deal. I just liked using the players interface the most.
Did you try the button "show all apps"? Maybe they are still on there, but you need to re-add them to the home screen.

No, they are no where to be found. Hitting the add app section brings you to a blank page.
That is very strange. Hope it's an isolated incident, as Netflix looks the best when played through this player.

No, they are no where to be found. Hitting the add app section brings you to a blank page.
Suggestion: perhaps re-installing the latest firmware via USB might help.

Here's the link to the Sony site to download it, and installation instructions.

If the player has the latest firmware (which dates from 2017 September 26) it might reject an attempt to load that same version. But then again it might proceed and overwrite with what's on the USB stick. (Surely any designer worth his salt would have allowed for this possibility!) No harm in trying. You just might get everything back.

Jeff

That is very strange. Hope it's an isolated incident, as Netflix looks the best when played through this player.
Yes it does. Not to mention I'm much more likely to get Dolby digital surround via the player then through Roku.

Suggestion: perhaps re-installing the latest firmware via USB might help.

Here's the link to the Sony site to download it, and installation instructions.

If the player has the latest firmware (which dates from 2017 September 26) it might reject an attempt to load that same version. But then again it might proceed and overwrite with what's on the USB stick. (Surely any designer worth his salt would have allowed for this possibility!) No harm in trying. You just might get everything back.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. That's most likely the best bet.

I would love to see a shootout between this Sony and the NVidia Shield TV for streaming picture and sound quality.

I would love to see a shootout between this Sony and the NVidia Shield TV for streaming picture and sound quality.
I'm looking forward to trying the TV's built in apps and seeing the difference. Just have to get off my ass and hook up the audio.

Back