• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Incredible Covers...

Introduced to me by my good friend @heeman here's one for you guys that don't like prog, specifically RUSH, maybe this version will suit you better.

This entire album.

719u61DhWdL._SS500_.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how many of those songs they'll play in concert - we already have our tix for their show with the Pixies in late March.

I tried. Nothing moved me.

If you can, play their cover of Rosanna on your main speakers and try to ignore the vocals; I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the instrumentation, at least at the beginning of the song. Of course I can't fucking tell when I'm listening to a distorted DAC so it probably sounds like shit...

If you can, play their cover of Rosanna on your main speakers and try to ignore the vocals; I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the instrumentation, at least at the beginning of the song. Of course I can't fucking tell when I'm listening to a distorted DAC so it probably sounds like shit...
I was judging their performances, didn't pay attention to the sound quality. When I liked a song, I felt the original was better. When I didn't like their version, the original was better. Basically, I like all the original versions way better.

Okay, took you up on it. Other than the very extreme compression, I liked to way the drums sounded, especially the way the snare rang.

Here's my request, play the weezer version, the play the original Toto version, but turn it up so it sounds to be the same loudness and tell me it isnt fuller, richer, and more "complete," And, Toto didn't have autotune on the vocals!

Okay, took you up on it. Other than the very extreme compression, I liked to way the drums sounded, especially the way the snare rang.

Here's my request, play the weezer version, the play the original Toto version, but turn it up so it sounds to be the same loudness and tell me it isnt fuller, richer, and more "complete," And, Toto didn't have autotune on the vocals!

I'm always taken aback a little when I play Weezer's Rosanna on YouTube as it sounds fuller than I expect. The vocals are complete crap but the drums especially seem on point. I also don't notice any obvious compression artifacts (again, ignoring vocals) - it's not like listening to Sirius/XM. Since you mentioned it, I now notice some constraint during the chorus. I just played Toto's version and yeah, it sounds far, far superior, although I do think Weezer may have a more intricate bass line going (or at least the YouTube mixes I watched have the bass line a little more prominent in Weezer's version). The keyboard solo is no contest though - Toto wins in a landslide.

I'm always taken aback a little when I play Weezer's Rosanna on YouTube as it sounds fuller than I expect. The vocals are complete crap but the drums especially seem on point. I also don't notice any obvious compression artifacts (again, ignoring vocals) - it's not like listening to Sirius/XM. Since you mentioned it, I now notice some constraint during the chorus. I just played Toto's version and yeah, it sounds far, far superior, although I do think Weezer may have a more intricate bass line going (or at least the YouTube mixes I watched have the bass line a little more prominent in Weezer's version). The keyboard solo is no contest though - Toto wins in a landslide.
Wait, you're not listening to the CD version? That's hardly a reliable comparison.

One of the reasons Weezer's version of Roseanna sounds full is simply the incredible amount of compression put on it. Basically, all the harmonics, decay, resonance and such which should be fading in the background is pulled way way forward via multitimbral compressors (basically the tools of the loudness war). The use of these compressors is also what demands they really thin out the arrangement with fewer instruments like percussion, strinf/synths, and such. This is what I have grown to hate about modern music.

Back