• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Joe Bonamassa

Randy said:
Derek Sherenian, who I was unfamiliar with, has played with everyone from Toto to Alice Cooper and KISS.
You missed the biggest one, he held the keyboard chair for a couple albums with Dream Theater! :music-rockout:
Derek had a very cool keyboard setup, the synths (all red Nords) were angled away from him, with two advantages: one, the audience could watch his fingers, and two, if you look at it, it would be a lot more ergonomically easy on the wrists. I actually tried it once, I could see where once you were used to it it'd be more comfortable, but you can't see the patch number, display, or anything else when the 'boards are angled that way.

derek01.jpg

Not sure how I missed that Botch. LOL

I think Black Country Communion definitely falls into the "Supergroup" category. Sure hope it doesn't suffer the "Supergroup" curse.

Glen Hughs is one of my favorites. BTW he is almost 59 yrs old.

Glen and David Coverdale were excellent in the Deep Purple Days.

I will have to get the BCC CD!

Joe doing a Gary Moore tribute - Midnight Blues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odOPkGkyPt4[/youtube]

(Wow, a YT concert video with decent SQ...)

Finaly had time to play this today.

Great live concert.

Very nice covers of the Yes songs "Heart of the Sunrise" and "Starship Troopers"

:banana-rock:

51bv3VNSGmL.jpg

You're turning into quite the fan there, Bob. I approve heartily! :laughing:

I haven't actually watched Rockpalast all the way through yet... :oops: I've watched the first ~half several times but keep getting distracted before the end. I've seen all of New Day Yesterday Live (an even earlier concert), and of course Royal Albert Hall many times. Rockpalast seems to be more what I'd call "hard blues," and that trio has a big sound for three people!

Due to an ordering snafu (on my part), I've ended up with two copies of Black Country Communion's second album that just came out. This is the "supergroup" of Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian, Jason Bonham, and Joe Bonamassa. It's a pretty hard-rocking album; personally I think it's more interesting musically than their first. They're all great players, and I'm pleased to hear Sherinian's keyboards coming through a bit more prominently in this one than the first. (Of course Joe is awesome but that goes - almost - without saying. :eek:bscene-buttred: )

Anyway, since I have an extra copy, I will "share the love" and send it free to the first member that sends me a PM.

PaulyT said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94e2t2yJoEY[/youtube]
Wait, wat?!?!
They sound like a power trio here. Eight notes on keyboards right at the end, otherwise they sound like a 3-piece... :angry-tappingfoot:

That particular song is from their first album, and I agree that a gripe of mine with that first album was that Sherinian was understated at best. That seems to be remedied to a large degree in this second album, though I admit I have not listened to the entire thing very carefully yet, as I just got it a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the info, I'll be picking up one this afternoon, will make sure its their 2nd one (I'm a bit biased to being able to hear the keys...)

I think you'll be pleased with it. I'm listening to the whole thing more carefully now, and I'm really diggin' this album. The sound is terrific from all four members, production SQ is great, Sherinian is most definitely more "visible" - with some actual keyboard solos! - and the music is really very interesting, which personally I don't often say about a "hard rock" style album. Though this one is more of a 70's rock ballad style overall rather than metal - not surprising given the connections to Deep Purple (Hughes), Led Zepplin (Bonham), etc.

PaulyT said:
Due to an ordering snafu (on my part), I've ended up with two copies of Black Country Communion's second album that just came out. This is the "supergroup" of Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian, Jason Bonham, and Joe Bonamassa. It's a pretty hard-rocking album; personally I think it's more interesting musically than their first. They're all great players, and I'm pleased to hear Sherinian's keyboards coming through a bit more prominently in this one than the first. (Of course Joe is awesome but that goes - almost - without saying. :eek:bscene-buttred: )

Anyway, since I have an extra copy, I will "share the love" and send it free to the first member that sends me a PM.

Did this snafu happen during one of your bourbon binges,uh,i mean sample tastings?

The Guy in the Brown Shorts just delivered my copy, but I had already started the new Flecktones CD again. How come we only get 8 hours of free time a day? :angry-tappingfoot:

Oh, I also got Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, and Bela Fleck's documentary in Africa on Bluray, Joshua Redman's new James Farm CD, and two copies of Taxi Driver on Bluray (first person with $10 at Bat's GTG can own one, unopened!)
I also got 5 lbs of Bomba rice from Spain (paella) but that'll be another thread... ;)

nats said:
Did this snafu happen during one of your bourbon binges,uh,i mean sample tastings?

:laughing: Nah, I had it on preorder, but my bank card number had changed and I thought it wouldn't ship when everyone else was getting theirs and mine had yet to arrive. So I ordered another one... and the very next day, the preorder arrived - I forgot I had used paypal rather than my usual debit card. :oops:

Botch said:
... Bela Fleck's documentary in Africa on Bluray ...

Nice, just got my CD of that one after having watched the video.

pauly,on itunes joe has a duet single with a girl sandi thom, check it out, you will like it. "this ol world"

Thanks! Seen/heard it - Sandi is his girlfriend. ;)

Got Lithograph #4 - now I have two big pictures, tickets to two shows and two meet-and-greets. Joe's gonna know me by name pretty soon. Maybe I can get him to join this forum! :laughing:

Attachments

• litho4infini-1.jpg
    litho4infini-1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 622
Congrats!

I'm looking forward to some pics from the shows. Consider renting a long/fast lens from someplace like lensrentals.com or borrowlenses.com.

Back