• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Joe Bonamassa

I'm a fan of female torch song singers. A powerfull voice belting out the blues gets me going.

Also a long time fan of blues guitar of all generations.

When I heard Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa hooked up on "Don't Explain", I just had to have it.

And boy it delivers, in spades :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

61qVggqisvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeah Bob, that's a good one!

Botch, sorry to hear about the sub-par audio in the BCC concert. I hope that was just a problem of TV transmission... I plan to get that concert on BD when it comes out next month (assuming that's what they were playing - Live over Europe?), we'll see how that's mixed. I can't believe Shirley would mess it up that bad.

Paul, I'll be anxious to hear your comments on it. I doubt TV transmission could have anything to do with it; as it is, I won't be picking that one up. Ugh.

I missed it last night but set the DVR to record it next Wednesday.

Can't wait to hear/see this one!!

Bob R said:
I'm a fan of female torch song singers. A powerfull voice belting out the blues gets me going.

Also a long time fan of blues guitar of all generations.

When I heard Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa hooked up on "Don't Explain", I just had to have it.

And boy it delivers, in spades :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

61qVggqisvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
-
Should post that disc in the Blues Music thread, if it's not already ....

PaulyT said:

Since you are such a big fan, buy a couple issues of the Magazine and bring one to a high quality local picture framer and have them frame one of the covers.

I did that years ago with a Magizine cover when Dale Earnhardt Sr. won the Daytona 500, the picture is in my home office and it is more or less one of a kind.

Just a thought.....

Not a bad idea... except that's an online iPad version of the mag, I don't think that one's in hardcopy. Plus I already have two huge (2x3') lithographs of Joe around my house already. :laughing:

FYI, I've just ordered the BD of the new BCC concert video, looking forward to that. Botch, I'll let you know what I think about the audio, esp. Sherinian's part.

bccblueurojb-1.jpg

Hey I'm not the only one posting here! So kiss my :eek:bscene-buttred:

PS Have you ever actually heard any Bonamassa?

PaulyT said:
Hey I'm not the only one posting here! So kiss my :eek:bscene-buttred:

PS Have you ever actually heard any Bonamassa?
He's been to two of the GTGs I've been to, how could he NOT?!?!?!? :teasing-neener:

'Cause he just sticks his fuckin' head in, rolls his eyes and says "oh not HIM again" and leaves... :angry-tappingfoot:

It's fine to not like JB, as long as you've given him at least a little chance. :snooty: Well, same for any musician, really...

PaulyT said:
FYI, I've just ordered the BD of the new BCC concert video, looking forward to that. Botch, I'll let you know what I think about the audio, esp. Sherinian's part.

bccblueurojb-1.jpg

Got it, watched it, liked it a lot. I'm not quite as big a fan of BCC as I am of Joe's "solo" stuff, but BCC is a talented bunch. They are all very good at what they do, and what impresses me most is how tight they are together despite the fact that this band has only been together a pretty short time.

Botch, I didn't have any problems hearing Sherinian's part. The mix (in surround anyway, haven't listened to it in stereo) almost always puts the keyboards on the left side, vocals/bass/drums in the center, and guitar on the right. So it's generally quite easy to hear the individual parts. Of course, it's a live recording and not studio, so maybe it's not quite as cleanly - some might say artificially - separated as a studio mix.

But I gotta say, this is a rock band, the keyboard part just isn't as prominent as it is with something like Dream Theater. Sherinian has his solos, not on every song, and when he's doing something particularly interesting, I think Kevin brings him out even more in the mix so you can hear it. The one thing I will say is that Sherinian gets kinda the short end of the stick in terms of video time. The focus is mostly on Hughes as the lead singer, some on Bonamassa and Bonham (some great views of the drums in places, and man Bonham can PLAY!!!), but since Sherinian is 1) fixed in one place on the stage where he can't dance around and do "cool rock moves" like the guitarists, 2) doesn't have drumsticks to wave around in the air, and 3) is always party hidden behind the keyboard anyway - you don't get to see him much. They do occasionally get an angle on the keyboards, and he's got that upward-facing red keyboard that you can see in the pic you've posted.

Anyway, I thought this was a very good video, taken from gigs in multiple cities. Some good background and behind the scenes stuff in the extras, I enjoyed that part a lot. Interesting that they refer to themselves as a five-membered band - including Shirley (the producer) who has I think more than usual input into the music, even listed as co-writer on quite a few songs. I like the selection of songs, they included all the ones I like best from their albums, though of course they only have two albums so the majority of both are played. The highlights for me were "Song of Yesterday" (one of Joe's), and the finale, "Burn." Damn! :music-rockout: Really good shows, and I like that these guys don't go in for the huge fancy stage setups with lasers and explosions and video screens and all that crap. Yeah there's some lighting of course, but the focus is more on the music and less on the "theater." Very cool.

So, if you like a more hard classic rock feel, you will probably like this video. It's not a Joe video, it's very much a BCC video.

Paul, thanks for your review, this is on my list. I did watch the 1 hr version that was on HD Net.

The last song BURN.........what can I say as a Deep Purple Fan (besides the band that I was in, in high school did this song!)

You need to get this CD!!!

Attachments

• burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 464
Ok, ordered! I'd been thinking of getting some Deep Purple anyway.

PaulyT said:
Ok, ordered! I'd been thinking of getting some Deep Purple anyway.

Good Deal.......

From 1973 - 1976 David Coverdale (lead vocals )and Glenn Hughs (Bass and Volcals) were in Deep Purple. During that time that made 3 albums.

Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste The Band.

The band Line Up for the Burn and Stormbringer Album was typically refered to as Deep Purple Mk II. The history of the band is quite interesting.

Richie Blackmore (guitarist) played on both Burn and Stormbringer and left the band. Tommy Bolin replaced Blackmore for 1975 and 1976.

More stuff on members:

Current members

Ian Paice – drums, percussion (1968–1976, 1984–present)
Roger Glover – bass (1969–1973, 1984–present)
Ian Gillan – lead vocals, harmonica, congas (1969–1973, 1984–1989, 1992–present)
Steve Morse – guitar (1994–present)
Don Airey – keyboards, organ (2001–present)

Former members

Jon Lord – keyboards, organ, backing vocals (1968–1976, 1984–2002)
Ritchie Blackmore – guitar (1968–1975, 1984–1993)
Rod Evans – lead vocals (1968–1969)
Nick Simper – bass, backing vocals (1968–1969)
David Coverdale – lead vocals (1973–1976)
Glenn Hughes – bass, vocals (1973–1976)
Tommy Bolin – guitar, vocals (1975–1976)
Joe Lynn Turner – lead vocals (1989–1991)
Joe Satriani – guitar (1993–1994)

Enjoy......

The one thing I will say is that Sherinian gets kinda the short end of the stick in terms of video time. The focus is mostly on Hughes as the lead singer, some on Bonamassa and Bonham (some great views of the drums in places, and man Bonham can PLAY!!!), but since Sherinian is 1) fixed in one place on the stage where he can't dance around and do "cool rock moves" like the guitarists, 2) doesn't have drumsticks to wave around in the air, and 3) is always party hidden behind the keyboard anyway - you don't get to see him much.
Speaking on behalf of rock keyboardists everywhere, "We're used to it..." :violin:

:happy-smileygiantred:

Thanks for the review! I'm probably gonna hold off on this one until I get a chance to see it myself, like maybe at the next GTG on the remote, outside chance that you bring it along... :teasing-neener:
A good acquaintance of mine (who's also appeared on Letterman with A Fine Frenzy) is playing keys, guitar and steel with Jason Bonham on the road right now as part of a Led Zeppelin tribute, he posts some "from-the-stage" pics on Facebook which is fun.

Well, missed Joe in Baltimore last night... stupid cousin. :angry-banghead:

His sold out 2-night performance at the Beacon theater in NY last week will be released on video sometime "early 2012". :music-rockout:

:text-link:

Back