• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My Studio 20's

I saw a set of 20s v5 in the cherry finish yesterday on the Gon. They were gone by the time I got home frorm work.

Boy, that was tempting............

Those a beautiful . With match studio 10's for surround duty and a studio esprit for flat panel center channel duty.

Rope said:
Yesfan70 said:
AndySTL said:

Not too bad. I wonder how much those stands cost.

Wished I had the coin for them.

Ah, like what happened to the coin from the sale of 7 Mackies? And don't tell me you spent it on women and whisky.

Rope

Nope...I put it on the credit card. I want that thing paid off and off my back. I should have it paid off by the end of the year, if the overtime holds up.

I guess it's been a couple of years or so since I bought a pair of used Studio 20 v.2 off PaulyT and not very many days go by when I don't think to myself "Dang! Those sound nice!"

But I wonder. Is there that big a sonic difference between the v.2 and v.5?

Ok. In a super crtical set-up where everything is just right in order to be able to listen to them?

How about like shown in the pic below: on mopads, on their side, on a bookshelf (fancy that with a "bookshelf" speaker!), flanking a flat panel? (That's where they currently reside: set up in my family room HT. But when I first got them I had them in a simple stereo set up in my main HT for a few weeks and they were quite impressive there as well.)

Enough of a difference to justify the current going price (new or used) for the v.5 - instead of finding another PaulyT-type sale out there on a pair of v.2?

Just wondering. (And only wondering about "the sound" - not the look / finish. I readily admit that those v.5's in the eBay listing look a lot nicer than my plain black v.2's.)

Jeff

Yeah, I liked those 20 v2's a lot. I would love a chance to sit and really listen to those compared to newer versions, to see just how noticeable the difference really is.

Just make a note.....our v2's are rear ported.......the v5's are front ported.

Barney said:
Just make a note.....our v2's are rear ported.......the v5's are front ported.

Yep, I was actually going to post this too. v3 was the first version with the port moved to the front.

I had noticed that in the past. I wonder what Paradigm's motive was for moving the port from the front to the rear?

Randy said:
I had noticed that in the past. I wonder what Paradigm's motive was for moving the port from the front to the rear?

Repeated(i.e. thousands) of requests by Matt B., as he had grown tired of unhooking the wires! :happy-smileygiantred:

Huey said:
Randy said:

Repeated(i.e. thousands) of requests by Matt B., as he had grown tired of unhooking the wires! :happy-smileygiantred:

:text-goodpost: :text-lol: :text-lol: :text-lol:

Some people say it allows the speaker to be placed closer to the back wall without affecting the sound...

Bob R said:
-B- said:
Bob, minwax has a red mahogany in the standard stain and a rosewood in the water base. Either one will be a close match to your speakers. Use a SATIN finish polyurethane over it and your set. Remember, prep is key. I used the water base, less stink and just as durable.

Thanks -B-

Did I ever tell the story of when I polyurethane coated a set of stacking tables? I kept getting bubbles in the finish and had to sand and repeat. After seven coats I go to the paint store and start to complain.

Paint store guy:

Did you shake the can?

Me:

Yup

Paint store guy:

Don't do that!

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Bummer, that's break shit kind of frustrating too.....that's not easy work.

Orbison said:
Some people say it allows the speaker to be placed closer to the back wall without affecting the sound...

It will do that to a certain degree, but you will still have boundary interaction issues any time you put a speaker too close to a wall.

I wonder if that was their main reason or if there was something else?

I was thinking that with the number of people shoving speakers into cabinets and coves and what nots, if their intention was to make a more "user friendly" speaker. Based on most people caring far more about how things look than how their system sounds.

Putting the speaker in the shelf is much, much easier with a front port.

A rear port is, generally, a much better performing option.

Flint said:
.....A rear port is, generally, a much better performing option.

Because it's away from the listener and not pointing towards them (port noise)?

That's how I have always understood it.

Yesfan70 said:
Flint said:
.....A rear port is, generally, a much better performing option.

Because it's away from the listener and not pointing towards them (port noise)?

That's how I have always understood it.

yes, that is true, but not the whole story.

The port and the speaker interact at the tuning frequency and the port is 180 deg out of phase with the woofer in that range. If it is out of phase, then it should be on the rear so it is more in phase (physically) than the woofer.

Also, since they are competing with each other (one being out of phase with the other) then moving them as far apart as possible results in better performance at the listening position.

I always put my ports on the rear when designing speakers. It performs, measures and sounds better.

Back