• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

new HSU VTF-15H

DIYer said:
Towen7 said:
Hsu's $100 hi-pass filter.
Just another way to make a profit. :angry-tappingfoot: That feature in plate amp costs a few extra dollars to include.

I got the impression that the amp is not a Hsu specific design, but rather that it was simply licensed for this purpose. (and who knows how many others). He said something like, "we would have had to change the amp circuit boards and there just isn't enough demand to justify the cost of that." I have to agree that at this price point there have got to be only a small number of people looking for anything other than a conventional hookup.

Towen7 said:
Botch said:
Towen7 said:
We spoke of many things--
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings.
I recognize that quote, where's it from? :?:

The Walrus and The Carpenter, Lewis Carroll
from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872
That's scary. I recognize the quote, but not the book... :shock:

Towen7 said:
We spoke of many things--
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings.
Botch said:
I recognize that quote, where's it from? :?:

[
Towen7 said:
The Walrus and The Carpenter, Lewis Carroll
from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872
Botch said:
That's scary. I recognize the quote, but not the book... :shock:

Uhh, perhaps from the Mamas and the Papas - Puff the Magic Dragon?

Rope

Zing said:
Rope said:
That would be Peter, Paul & Mary.

I stand corrected. Got my peters mixed up with mamas and the resulting offspring, hence, Mamas and the Papas.

Rope

Rope said:
Zing said:
Rope said:
That would be Peter, Paul & Mary.

I stand corrected. Got my peters mixed up with mamas and the resulting offspring, hence, Mamas and the Papas.

Rope

Peters? Plural? Really? Rope - you da man!!! :text-bravo: :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

At the risk of getting this thread back on track... What do you guys think would be the best way to go about conducting a one man/three sub shootout? I may be able to get a buddy or two over to help out but for the sake of this question let's assume not.

Towen7 said:
What do you guys think would be the best way to go about conducting a one man/three sub shootout?
Ground plane frequency response measurement and impulse measurement done outside maybe? :think:

Congrats Chris !

Only read through a few posts so forgive me if this was mentioned 10 times already. I for one place a lot more importance on multiple subs placement then I ever would for "Stereo" subs. There might be a total of 10 songs he would like to listen to where a true stereo sub set-up would show it's all. Placement way out weighs the Whole stereo sub thing.

DIYer said:
Towen7 said:
What do you guys think would be the best way to go about conducting a one man/three sub shootout?
Ground plane frequency response measurement and impulse measurement done outside maybe? :think:

I've never done anything that extensive but I'll give it a shot. Got any resources on how to do make those measurements?

I was thinking more along the lines of listening. I was thinking that because one is a box and the other a cylinder that I could stack the cylinder on-top of the box, connect to my pre/pro with a Y-splitter, calibrate both the the same SPL and then have my wife switch between the two (without telling me which is active) a few times and I write my impressions down. Is that even remotely valid?

If Bats will keep both subs around until I can get out to his place and we can find a large open area with AC power, I will measure them side by side under identical conditions and let you all know which is better.

When can I get to Bat's place? Um... dunno.

Flint said:
If Bats will keep both subs around until I can get out to his place and we can find a large open area with AC power, I will measure them side by side under identical conditions and let you all know which is better.

When can I get to Bat's place? Um... dunno.
No worries, these two subs aren't going anywhere any time soon...

Towen7 said:
stack the cylinder on-top of the box
That could cause some (or serious) resonance issues and make it sound bad for both subs.

Ground plane - if you have RTA, sound card and a microphone, it should be doable. Link
Impulse test - you would need a specific software for it. Not sure if there are free downloadable ones.

T7, I would imagine placing the subs very close to each other would suffice. Another option would be a symmetric placement of them in the room. If this is possible, there shouldn't be anything wrong w/ this for a trial either. With a little bit of back damage you could put each sub in each spot and listen and see if you notice any difference. Without much back damage at all you could just put the SVS in each of the locations and see how it sounds.

John

is changing settings for music to movies(once you figure out which settings to use)as simple as swicthing the dial in back?or do you have to go into reciever menu? have you listened to music mode yet? i am really interested in your opinion on that subject with your new purchase.

nats said:
is changing settings for music to movies(once you figure out which settings to use)as simple as swicthing the dial in back?or do you have to go into reciever menu? have you listened to music mode yet? i am really interested in your opinion on that subject with your new purchase.
I don't see why there should be separate settings for the two. What sounds good for music should be good for movie as well.

DIYer said:
nats said:
I don't see why there should be separate settings for the two. What sounds good for music should be good for movie as well.
im probably wrong but i thought that sub was desinged to use sealed for music and ported for movies,but i cant even remember why i thought that.

Back