• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Dark Knight Rises!!

Gotham is NYC...in the comics that's the real life city it's modeled after. It has evolved so much though that the city itself has become a character in the comics.

As far as BB is concerned I think most of the recognizable real life landmarks are from Chicago maybe even more so in The Dark Knight...But for both films they shot in many major metropolitan areas.

From Wikipedia:

Writer Bill Finger, on the naming of the city and the reason for changing Batman's locale from New York City to a fictional city said, "Originally I was going to call Gotham City 'Civic City'. Then I tried 'Capital City', then 'Coast City'. Then I flipped through the New York City phone book and spotted the name 'Gotham Jewelers' and said, 'That's it,' Gotham City. We didn't call it New York because we wanted anybody in any city to identify with it."[1]

"Gotham" had long been a well-known nickname for New York City even prior to Batman's 1939 introduction,[2] which explains why "Gotham Jewelers" and many other businesses in New York City have the word "Gotham" in them. The nickname was popularized in the nineteenth century, having been first attached to New York by Washington Irving in the November 11, 1807 edition of his Salmagundi,[3] a periodical which lampooned New York culture and politics. Irving took the name from the village of Gotham, Nottinghamshire, England, a place that, according to folklore, was inhabited by fools.[4] The village's name derives from Old English gat 'goat' and ham 'home', literally "homestead where goats are kept",[5] and is pronounced "goat 'em", /ˈɡoʊtəm/ goat-əm (c.f. Chatham, /ˈtʃætəm/ chat-əm, a similar name which has not undergone a t → th pronunciation shift). In contrast, "Gotham" as used for New York or in the comics is pronounced /ˈɡɒθəm/ goth-əm,[6] like the word Goth.

In Detective Comics #880, the Joker mentions to Batman that Gotham means "heaven for goats".

"I did not know that!" [/Carson]

Mountain-Goat-Portrait-Glacier-NP.jpg

This has got to be the final trailer...The journey is almost over.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCjhLVTqctQ[/youtube]

Batman said:
This has got to be the final trailer...The journey is almost over.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCjhLVTqctQ[/youtube]
Huh, that's that guy from Slipknot! :music-rockout:

I was just waiting for some idiot to try and make this connection. So goes the King of the idiots.

Rush Limbaugh Suggests 'Dark Knight Rises' Villain 'Bane' A Deliberate Romney Reference

RUSH: Have you heard this new movie, the Batman movie, what is it, The Dark Knight Lights Up or whatever the name is. That's right, Dark Knight Rises. Lights Up, same thing. Do you know the name of the villain in this movie? Bane. The villain in The Dark Knight Rises is named Bane, B-a-n-e. What is the name of the venture capital firm that Romney ran and around which there's now this make-believe controversy? Bain. The movie has been in the works for a long time. The release date's been known, summer 2012 for a long time. Do you think that it is accidental that the name of the really vicious fire breathing four eyed whatever it is villain in this movie is named Bane?

More

RUSH: So anyway, this evil villain in the new Batman movie is named Bane. And there's now a discussion out there as to whether or not this is purposeful and whether or not it will influence voters. It's gonna have a lot of people. This movie, the audience is gonna be huge. A lot of people are gonna see the movie, and it's a lot of brain-dead people, entertainment, the pop culture crowd, and they're gonna hear Bane in the movie and they're gonna associate Bain. The thought is that when they start paying attention to the campaign later in the year, and Obama and the Democrats keep talking about Bain, Romney and Bain, that these people will think back to the Batman movie, "Oh, yeah, I know who that is." (laughing) There are some people who think it'll work. Others think you're really underestimating the American people to think that will work.
"You may think it's ridiculous," Limbaugh added in summation. "I'm just telling you this is the kind of stuff the Obama team is lining up."

Guess no one bothered to tell Rush Bane has been around since 1993 or the in his own way Batman is a neoconservative hero.

I couldn't believe that when I heard it as well. He's a moron!

What I'm surprised by as well, the film has been getting mixed reviews by critics that have seen it, and Rotten Tomatoes has suspended user comments on their site for the time being. I'm not really into comics, so I have no idea if Bane was the best person to use.

^^ that whole Bane/Bain stuff is ridiculous... The character debuted in the early '90s and was chosen because he's perhaps the most physical threat Batman has ever encountered.

Okay just got home from my 4th viewing. I'm fairly confident that I've got all the twists and turns covered, things that I missed the first couple times. Initially one would think that there could be plot holes but when you follow closely it's apparent that Nolan covered his tracks very carefully. There are very subtle hints and clues foreshadowing where the film is headed. For many of the returning cast, most notably Bale, Caine and Oldman, they are heavily invested in their roles and Hathaway perfectly plays both sides as the "cat-burglar" Selina Kyle (shes never referred to as Catwoman). The entire trilogy is really the story of Bruce Wayne and how he channels his rage in the form of the Batman and how does he move on to lead a happy and rewarding life before its too late as a result of his alter-ego, meanwhile his will and determination embodies what it takes to RISE to true heroism. While for me, the jury is still out on how it measures up to The Dark Knight, this new entry is damn good and the 3 films together combine into one of the BEST trilogies to come along in a very long time...as people here continue to see it I'd love to discuss specifics, but its still a bit early to spoil it for you guys that haven't. All in all, it's a very fitting ending to the story known as The Dark Knight Trilogy.

^--- ok that's really cool, especially that he made efforts not to make a media circus out of it. Bravo.

I loved the entire movie not only cause I saw it with a lot of you guys but for me this was the the best of the three and I thought there was no way to outdo the last one. I will say this movie had by far the best first five minutes of any movie I have ever seen. It takes something special to have a movie leave a lump in my throat and me trying to catch my breath due to the drama and excitement on screen. Even though the movie is almost three hours long you lose track of that with the excellent pacing of the movie. I have never liked Anne Hatheway in any role she's played but she exudes sexuality in this movie. I am also a fan of Marion CotIllard since I saw her in "Nine" (man can she sing). First rate movie all the way.

You've obviously not seen Love and Other Drugs have you Matt....she's been on my radar since she let those puppies loose in Brokeback.

Oh Crap Zing that was so bad yet I nearly choked on the soda I was drinking trying not to laugh.

Back