• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

I almost never use my Denon D7000 headphones so tonight I'm trying to go deaf with them while playing this.

611oVZ4tt9L.jpg

Unbeknownst to me (and perhaps you too), Kansas released a new studio album last September. I just learned about it a week ago and, after sampling, decided it was too good to pass up. During my first spin, I wasn't through the 4th track and I was glad I bought it. It's unmistakably Kansas-sounding. I'm talking classic Kansas. Acoustic guitars, rock violins, etc. If you've ever been a Kansas fan, this album is highly recommended.

I almost never use my Denon D7000 headphones so tonight I'm trying to go deaf with them while playing this.

611oVZ4tt9L.jpg

Unbeknownst to me (and perhaps you too), Kansas released a new studio album last September. I just learned about it a week ago and, after sampling, decided it was too good to pass up. During my first spin, I wasn't through the 4th track and I was glad I bought it. It's unmistakably Kansas-sounding. I'm talking classic Kansas. Acoustic guitars, rock violins, etc. If you've ever been a Kansas fan, this album is highly recommended.

Prog Rock..........I was and still a fan!!!

Thanks for the heads-up Zing.

I'd stopped my Kansas collection at Audio-Visions (1982) - thinking (incorrectly) that they had not produced anything worthwhile after that. That's now been corrected.

Jeff

L.A. Salami -- Dancing with Bad Grammar
I'm not sure how to classify this one, but it's a little on the weird side... but i like weird. I think I like it. It's one of those I'll have to listen to a couple of times to be sure, but so far, I'm into it's oddness.

And L.A. Salami is his real name -- or in long form, Lookman Adekunle Salami.

20160614012516-e3688b2d-a418-4753-bf64-33ecfa510735.png

I must confess that up until a few days ago I really had never heard of prog-rock group Marillion.

I was doing some random searching to see if I could find a list of all the 5.1 remixes that Steven Wilson has done, and I came across the 2017 Blu-ray Audio for Marillion's Misplaced Childhood.

As far as prog-rock goes it's not bad. But it's the Wilson touch that makes it now better than most.

71cdWYz4VVL__SL1200_.jpg

Don't look now but Jeff's coming around. Before long he'll be adding Dream Theater, Clearlight, Miriodor and Novalis CDs to his collection.

I must confess that up until a few days ago I really had never heard of prog-rock group Marillion.

I was doing some random searching to see if I could find a list of all the 5.1 remixes that Steven Wilson has done, and I came across the 2017 Blu-ray Audio for Marillion's Misplaced Childhood.

As far as prog-rock goes it's not bad. But it's the Wilson touch that makes it now better than most.

View attachment 7113

Wow...what a blast from the past. The name Marillion sounded familiar like I had seen them somewhere back in my misspent youth. Google tells me it was 1983!! They were on the bill with Todd Rundgren and Utopia. I suspect that is why I was there as I love Todd Rundgren!! Marillion as I said "sounded familiar"!!

This past weekend I wrapped up the consulting project I'd taken on over the summer, so I'm back to being a full-time retiree. This means I have more time to get back to the important things in life: working out, listening to music, and drinking!

I had an opportunity to add some Tangerine Dream to my collection, but after listening to several cuts from several of their albums, I now fully understand why I don't have any in my collection - and likely never will. Not that I don't like (good) synthesizer-based music, but I kept searching for at least one catchy-sounding song, and searching, and searching, and searching. I spun some Jean Michel Jarre instead - just to remind myself that there's some great stuff in this genre to be had.

Jeff

51py9kSfubL__AC_US218_.jpg

ps. Part IV is my fave!

Looking for something I hadn't heard before and found this after a google search of "best bands I've never heard of"... so far, I'm agree.

hmkbutton.jpg

I may have put one of their other albums on there, but listening to this on my Amazon Prime music account
R-1589932-1302072406.jpeg.jpg

1. Sweet Water Pools 3:32
  2. Bikini Red 3:47
  3. Too Much Love 3:07
  4. I Can Speak American 2:57
  5. Big Brother Muscle 2:59
  6. I Wanna Be a Flintstone 2:31
  7. Jesus Chrysler Drives a Dodge 4:01
  8. Lie Detector 3:59
  9. 55-The Law 2:10
  10. All Shook Down 2:16
  11. Waltz 3:31

Back to that incredible "new" album by Van Halen. The more I hear it, the more I am convinced this is the album that I didn't bother to buy in 1986. Amazing work!

Van%20Halen%20New%20Tattoo%20Reviews%201.jpg

Back