• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

Billy Joel's A Matter of Trust concert, where he performed in Moscow, has just started on PBS. This looks kick-ass! :music-rockout:

0_0_3401025_00_320w.jpg

Damn, this one is a definite BUY! The stage lighting is so primitive and simple, yet the show is fantastic!!

Billy Joel & band came to Iowa State in '79~'80, huge buzz about them and everyone was going to the show, but I wasn't a big fan an opted out. My roommate, from Brooklyn, kept telling me I should go, but I didn't buy a ticket. The night of the show the buzz was huge, and my roommate handed me a ticket, said, "I bought this for you, you're going, asshole!!"
We did, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Fantastic music, songs, showmanship, and energy; no warmup band, no break, >3-hour show!
This video is bringing that all back for me, fun! (I don't remember all the pretty blow-dried hair in the band, but that was a lot of brain cells ago...)

styx(1).jpg

Watching this on Palladia.
Never been a huge Styx fan, even though I'm (was) a keyboardist. This is a show with the modern band (the 2 original guitarists are still here) playing their two classic albums, Pieces of Eight and Grand Illusion.
Boring.
I like the new keyboardist, he doesn't have that ridiculous vocal vibrato that the original guy did, but its not enough to save this. Man in the Wilderness sounded pretty good, but the rest of it, meh.
:|

Tony Hadley/Spandau Ballet -

Been watching another Palladia show, celebrating the big 80's bands, fun to see a lot of them (Wang chung, Bangles, Kool & the gang, etc). One guy came on who really impressed me, could've been a polished Vegas Sinatra wannabee, good looking, great haircut, killer voice/singing; it was a guy named Tony Hadley. The band began his second tune, True, and then I recognized him as the vocalist behind Spandau Ballet, a quarter-century ago! He sounded fantastic, and I think I need to look up what else he's released in the past couple decades. Wow.

^^^ Excellent! I got my copy a couple days ago but haven't watched it yet.

^--- Hope that one's not lip synced... :eusa-whistle:

heeman said:

I loved this. :music-rockout: PG hasn't put out much new material at all lately, and the last four concert DVDs all take from the same body of work for the most part.
And yet, every single one is worth it on their own merits. This concert is divided into 3 "sections": an acoustic set where the house lights never went down (unusual to start a concert that way), a second section which is "darker and more electronic" in PG's words, and then they performed So song-by-song (20th anniversary for that one).
Loved the stage setup/lighting; the five mobile booms with three programmed lights apiece would be right at home with Pink Floyd, very ominous. And I love the crowd on this one, the quiet portions of the show were quiet, you rarely heard some jackass in the back of the hall who wanted to hear himself more than the band, bravo! They also stayed seated for a lot of the show (especially the first, acoustic set; house lights will do that); granted, most of them probably have their AARP cards. :mrgreen:
Wish I would've gotten this before Bat's GTG! :|

I have been a huge WHO Fan for years and actually did a presentation on Quardrophenia in my Sr year in High School. So when I saw this come out.....................WOW!!! I wasn't sure what to expect due to Pete and Roger getting on in their years.

Did it ever blow me away...............

They dubbed in a John Entwhistle Bass Solo and Keith Moon singing Bell Boy.

If you are a fan of the Who and especially Quardrophenia, this is a must!

Pino was on the bass and Scott Devours on the drums who did a fantastic job! (I read that Scott filled in for Zak Starky due to a tendon strain, boy did he fit in well).

101188_large.jpg

Elton+John.jpg

I'm far too biased to give this a fair assessment but I enjoyed the hell out of it, as did Babs and our company last night.

I had read a couple of less than stellar reviews about it prior to viewing so my expectations were fairly low. Most reviewers commented on his voice not being as strong as it used to be. Well, DUH! The man was 65 when this was filmed. Anyway, about a third of the way through, he was struggling to get through the vocals of this particular song. I thought "Oh boy. Here we go. He's about to embarrass himself." I'm guessing it was the key he was singing in for that song because starting with the next one, he got his voice back and kept it for the duration.

Despite what anyone thinks about his vocal performance, I don't think there's any denying his piano playing prowess. He's lost nothing! He's only gotten better. After performing these songs tens of thousands of times in his career, he still finds ways to play them in new and better ways than you've ever heard him before.

Watching Rush's Clockwork Angels on Palladia right now. I have a love/hate relationship with Rush, this is good enough I may have to spring for the Bluray, had a showy string section going for awhile! :music-rockout:
The Rush concert video I currently have has an interesting backline on the stage; instead of banks and banks of Marshall amps, it was banks and banks of ... washers and dryers! Cracked me up! This show, they still have a couple of washers, but they're converted to aquariums; their backline also includes some searchlights, a popcorn machine, a giant brain in a water tank, and I thought I saw a Big Green Egg back there too. :think:

Question for the bass players on this forum: no matter what he's playing (P-bass, J-bass, etc) Geddy always sounds like he's playing a Rickenbacker. Is it light strings, picking technique, playing close to the bridge, or....?

It's here.........................

They gotta' lotta nice girls......Aha! A haw haw haw haw A haw... :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Attachments

• zztop.jpg
    zztop.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,141
^ Video and Audio Reference material..................

These 3 guys from Texas are in their mid 60's and still kick it!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Ok that's worth $14 on amazon prime - ordered!

^--- Watched this one today, and enjoyed it very much! I'm not all THAT familiar with ZZ Top. But they were good for a trio of dudes who've been around for pushing nearly 50 years now. Wow!

Couple of comments:

Frank's weird. Did most of the concert with his eyes closed and with his head tilted down and left. Is that his usual style? I've never watched these guys live so I have no idea. His drumming was good... but honestly not that impressive.

I liked Dusty's voice! He doesn't come up front much, but he can still do those high harmony/backup vocals really well, very impressed. I wish the bass were a little more prominent in the mix, couldn't always hear much of what he was doing.

Billy's guitar was fairly interesting. Ok I don't like him as much as ... cough cough ... certain blues rock guitarists ... but he's got his own style. I actually like the sound/tone of the guitar a lot more in the last "encore" set when he came out with the custom Les Paul.

Their guest hammond player was terrific! But I couldn't hear a single thing the guest guitarist at the same time was playing. Oh well, I liked the exploration into more funk and traditional blues, that was fun.

Overall, good concert, agreed excellent PQ! I still have no f'in clue what these guys actually look like as you never see them without full hat + sunglasses + beards... :laughing:

PaulyT said:
I still have no f'in clue what these guys actually look like as you never see them without full hat + sunglasses + beards... :laughing:
Nobody does. :cool:

PaulyT said:
^--- Watched this one today, and enjoyed it very much! I'm not all THAT familiar with ZZ Top. But they were good for a trio of dudes who've been around for pushing nearly 50 years now. Wow!

Couple of comments:

Frank's weird. Did most of the concert with his eyes closed and with his head tilted down and left. Is that his usual style? I've never watched these guys live so I have no idea. His drumming was good... but honestly not that impressive.

I liked Dusty's voice! He doesn't come up front much, but he can still do those high harmony/backup vocals really well, very impressed. I wish the bass were a little more prominent in the mix, couldn't always hear much of what he was doing.

Billy's guitar was fairly interesting. Ok I don't like him as much as ... cough cough ... certain blues rock guitarists ... but he's got his own style. I actually like the sound/tone of the guitar a lot more in the last "encore" set when he came out with the custom Les Paul.

Their guest hammond player was terrific! But I couldn't hear a single thing the guest guitarist at the same time was playing. Oh well, I liked the exploration into more funk and traditional blues, that was fun.

Overall, good concert, agreed excellent PQ! I still have no f'in clue what these guys actually look like as you never see them without full hat + sunglasses + beards... :laughing:

Great review Paul.

I am in just about total agreement with your comments.

Beard is a very simple drummer and I would also like to see better technique and performance from him, however good for ZZ Top; Smokes way too much during the concert!

Could barely here Dusty's bass playing, however plenty of kick drum.

I was not impressed by the hammond player at all.

There was another guitarist on stage for those couple of songs???? Agree completely with you. Why did they have him there?

Billy's encore guitar was so much better sounding.............

They didn't play Cheap Sunglasses?????

Glad you enjoyed it!!

Last night I needed something happy in my life, I have not watched this in a along time, however seeing these young kids play and sing along with Styx, really did the trick. Awesome, just AWESOME!!

51k%2BGiX4I7L.jpg

Back