• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

^ Wow it was delivered today.............

I guess I need to go park my ass in the HT.

:music-rockout: :bow-blue: :music-rockout:

Botch said:
UYAM50-DVD.JPG

Wow!
Audio Quality: 5 Stars
5.1 mix: 5 Stars
Picture Quality: 5 Stars
Videography: 5 Stars
Performance: 6 Stars (out of 5)

Humongous thanks to Heeman for alerting me to this band. This concert bluray came up on my "Recommended" list on Amazon, less than $13, so I popped for it. Best damn concert video I've seen in over a year, by far!
Both guitarists are fluent in rhythm, rock lead, tapping, Belew-esque "stunt" guitar, metal, and one is even fantastic on slide. Keyboardist is incredibly good but not flashy, as is the bass. Drummer/percussionist are ferocious!! The band only sing on about a third of the material, but they absolutely NAIL nice 3-part harmonies. Their mastery of different musical styles is impeccable, on some tunes they flip between different genres every four bars, a la Zappa.
Venue is cool too. An "intimate" theater; the band is constantly lit, as is the audience, with subtle but effective "accent" lighting. Tasty video going on in the background the whole time (never overpowers the performance). No black backgrounds, ever.

Reiterating: this is the best damn show I've seen in over a year.

Very Highly Recommended!!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Great Show!

These guys are some terrifically talented musicians that are extremely coordinated with each other.

The videography is great and the mix is fantastic!

Not quite as blown away as Botch, however glad to have it in my collection!

Have a Rockin' Weekend Everyone...................

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

^--- Just watched the Umphrey's McGee concert this afternoon. Botch, I see why you like this one. It's very interesting music! I really had no idea what to expect from this, as I hadn't heard any of their albums before; I know they've come up here earlier, but I didn't get around to buying any. So I had no clue what style of music it was. And I'm still not sure... :laughing: Kinda part prog rock, part jazz fusion, part funk, even part reggae... hard to define these guys. But that's ok, it's good music.

Agreed, the SQ was great. (Though I coulda used a little more bass.) PQ was good for me - though y'all know I'm not so much a video guy. But I really liked how they did the staging, and the backdrops with the screens - it was cool.

Musical highlight for me was, I think, the tune "Out of Order."

I wish they had included some interviews or something in some bonus material, to get to know the band a little better. I always enjoy that stuff. The packaging describes them as a "jam band." I guess I can see what that means; their songs tend to be longer and a bit more meandering; the second song went from reggae to prog to... again hard to describe, but quite a wide variety. Personally, I'd say their weakness is a lack of melodic line. Sometimes you just want a tune to hum along to, y'know? This music is a little more abstract. I think I can see why heeman reacted as he did above - it's not exactly a "turn it up really loud and rock out" sort of concert.

Thanks for the rec, Botch.

PaulyT said:
So I had no clue what style of music it was. And I'm still not sure... :laughing: Kinda part prog rock, part jazz fusion, part funk, even part reggae... hard to define these guys. But that's ok, it's good music.

Totally agree, and that's why I like it so much; I LOVE mixing of musical styles, and admire any group that pulls it off to this level. I don't think I'll be referring to them as a "Jam" band anymore, the style changes throughout their tunes are too scripted, and too well done.
Watched it again this morning for the 4th or 5th time, still loving it. I agree the bass guitar could be goosed a bit in the mix. The recording, especially the drums and percussion, just sound so damn good on my system, yes! :music-listening:

Michael_Jackson's_This_Is_It_Poster.JPG

I like MJ, but am not a rabid fan. This show came up on Palladia, and I've enjoyed it a lot. It's all rehearsal footage, very intense but great to watch. Incredible dancing! :music-rockout:

^ Botch I think that this one is still $5 on Blu Ray.com, yup, just checked!

I was never a huge fan, however this one really shined a light on what goes on behind the scenes of a huge performance, a must own!

It has some really good LFE and most of the footage has incredible audio/video.

I will say it again, A MUST OWN!

:music-rockout: :banana-dance: :music-rockout:

Get it! Just Get It! Especially if you are an Eric Clapton Fan.......it is not a full length concert, it is a semi-documentary about Eric touring and retiring at 70..... He speaks about his love of playing in Japan and is given an award for his 200th show..........

Get It! It is less than $14 on Amazon Prime...

Attachments

• ec.JPG
    ec.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,182
Watching the Pretenders - Live in London on Palladia, it's good and will have to see if a disk is available. Was a big fan of Chrissie and the boys way back when; the original drummer is with her here, along with a pedal steel (which fits surprisingly well). Good stuff.

EDIT: Hah, she's getting a bit sweaty under the lights, and her heavy mascara is running bad; shades of Alice Cooper! :laughing: The concert is out on Bluray and I ordered it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Apparently Palladia is playing all "classic" shows all weekend, wish I'd started recording it sooner.

Right now I'm watching Super Duper Alice Cooper, and its quite a trip. They started out as the Spiders, then moved to LA and found themselves competing with other newbs like the Yardbirds, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, The Doors, a bunch of other nobodies. :D They befriended a glam-style, all-female band that were living in Frank Zappa's basement, they dolled the guys up and, while on acid, the drummer used a Ouija board to learn his past life was in England, as a woman who was burned at the stake for being a witch. Her name: Alice Cooper.
The girls convinced Frank to listen to them, so he invited them over at 7 the next night, they showed up at 7 am, but got signed anyway.

That's as far as I am so far, this is interesting! :music-rockout:

MV5BMTgzNTk2Mzg0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI0MTg0Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I have this on Bluray, and enjoyed it a lot, the couple times I watched it.

It's been awhile. It came up on Palladia, and I'm watching again now. What fun! Their beginnings in Toronto had so many parallels to my early days (the sock hops, church basements, etc). Lucky break to be picked up to open for KISS in half of Canada and the whole US tour, then you have to admire them for sticking to their guns and playing the music THEY wanted to do, resisting the record company's demands.
TBC.

Botch said:
UYAM50-DVD.JPG

Wow!

Humongous thanks to Heeman for alerting me to this band. This concert bluray came up on my "Recommended" list on Amazon, less than $13, so I popped for it. Best damn concert video I've seen in over a year, by far!
Both guitarists are fluent in rhythm, rock lead, tapping, Belew-esque "stunt" guitar, metal, and one is even fantastic on slide. Keyboardist is incredibly good but not flashy, as is the bass. Drummer/percussionist are ferocious!! The band only sing on about a third of the material, but they absolutely NAIL nice 3-part harmonies. Their mastery of different musical styles is impeccable, on some tunes they flip between different genres every four bars, a la Zappa.
Venue is cool too. An "intimate" theater; the band is constantly lit, as is the audience, with subtle but effective "accent" lighting. Tasty video going on in the background the whole time (never overpowers the performance). No black backgrounds, ever.

Can't count the number of times I've watched this; it's nudged out the Chick Corea video as my favorite concert BD of all. Loving it! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Another good one from Jeff!

Attachments

• jeff-beck-live-in-tokyo-bluray-cover-264x338.jpg
    jeff-beck-live-in-tokyo-bluray-cover-264x338.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 967
Breaking the Fourth Wall, by Dream Theater, some place in Boston with the Berklee College of Music orch and chorus; on Palladia.

Okay, the pic, and the sound, aren't great, but I'm watching it on Palladia, it was recorded on Bluray, may have to get it. I was SO PISSED about the last DT bluray I got, it was so badly mixed (audio and visual) to feature John Petrucci, ignoring the rest of the band, that I tossed it in the trash. This show, even over Palladia, its easy to tell the balance is back, and worth getting. My first exposure to Portnoy's replacement on the drums, he's good; doesn't have three drum thrones to bounce around on but he DOES have a nice "overhead" kit!
Heh, I see little "GoPro" cameras mounted everywhere, too! :mrgreen:

^ if you get the BR, let me know how it is, I posted a while back that the audio reviews said POOR. The post is somewhere here on TAA.

Botch said:
Botch said:
UYAM50-DVD.JPG

Wow!

Can't count the number of times I've watched this; it's nudged out the Chick Corea video as my favorite concert BD of all. Loving it! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

In Botch's honor, I'm watching this one again right now. While I'm not sure the music resonates with me quite as much as it does with Botch, I can still say that it really is a good concert. Plus any group that uses animations of Mandelbrot sets in their background stage set is OK in my book. :laughing:

This one has been on the to be viewed pile for a while,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to bad I waited so long...............

38251_large.jpg

Back