• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

51ti0PDsh6L.jpg

The Chick Corea Elektric Band, live at the Maintenance Shop, at my alma mater Iowa State University.
This is a second concert DVD I have from the Maintenance Shop (which wasn't there when I was a student), the other being a very-crowded Tower of Power.
Performance - 4 stars
Audio Quality - 2
Picture Quality - 1
I was going to say this isn't even the whole "Elektric Band" (it's only Chick, Pattituci and Weckl) but judging from Chick's lithe body, and the others' boyish haircuts, this may be an extremely early version of the band before the guitar/saxists were even added! They still put out an incredible noise for a trio. Chick's playing his constant Rhodes, a Yamaha KX-88 (that dates it!), Synclavier, and what looks like an Amiga computer!
Damn, wish this was recorded better. I'm a huge Corea fan and glad I own this for history's sake, if nothing else.

EDIT: I'm upping the Performance rating to 5 stars. Oof-dah!!!

I was never a fan of Metallica, however I heard a lot of good things about this BLU RAY...................

Simply AWESOME!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Attachments

• METALLICA.jpg
    METALLICA.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 1,024
Any Frampton Comes Alive fans out there?

I guess I was about 14 when the live album came out.

I forgot that Bob Mayo (Keybords) died in 2004 and so did John Siomos (drummer) 2004.

Anyway................Just got done watching this one and Pete still has his chops!

If you are/were a fan this is a must get......................hey Botch, check out what they did with the Fender Rhodes!

Attachments

• fca.jpg
    fca.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,016
Nice, I will have to checkout the Metallica and Frampton in blu ray now that I have e player.

Welcome to 'Royal Albert F#€^kin' Hall'! Adele is just too awesome!!! A powerhouse of a voice! :handgestures-thumbup:

51j3bxvpkaL._SY300_.jpg

muscle-shoals.jpg

This one has a lot more "gossipy" stuff in it than I expected, kinda like Fleetwood Mac's "The Making of Rumours". Learned a few things so far: Percy Heath's "When a Man Love a Woman" was the very first record he'd ever made, and it's Classic HIstory. The story of MS founder's younger brother, falling into a pot of boiling water and dying, was so reminiscent of the exact same scene from "Ray", it was creepy.
Something else: I'm not religious, superstitious, don't believe in luck, signs, ghosts or anything else; but, there's two parts of the country that give me the "creeps", or a supernatural feeling: Taos New Mexico, and the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Watching this video, I have a strong feeling that Muscle Shoals will have this same, weird effect on me, and a visit has been added to my bucket list. We'll see what happens....
:?

I haven't followed Eddie or Pearl Jam since the 90's..............

This was rated highly...........

Thought it was good!

23567_large.jpg

So..................I know nothing about this band except for some guy named Flint saying something like "another super Prog Rock Band" and I am hooked. Not so hooked that I would spend $23 on a CD, but $ 14 on a Blu Ray............No Problem.

BOTCH and PaulyT.................................. GET THIS!!

I only made it half way thru due to the Top Chef Finale tonight.....................however.................

Video Good, not Great!

Audio...............AWESOME.............GREAT LFE TOO!!!

Portnoy is playing a baby kit, but is the leader of the band.....................

Enough said, any Prog Rock Fans Out There.............GET IT!!

2787379.jpg

Ya, me too. I've heard of this band but am not familiar with them. I know Morse and Portnoy from Flying Colors and Dream Theater.

Another one, this one all instrumental except for the last song.

The Guitarist and Bassist are smokin'

Very progressive, but much heavier/harder rock.

Video and Audio, very good!

91V057SgI1L._SX522_.jpg

heeman said:
So..................I know nothing about this band except for some guy named Flint saying something like "another super Prog Rock Band" and I am hooked. Not so hooked that I would spend $23 on a CD, but $ 14 on a Blu Ray............No Problem.

I only made it half way thru due to the Top Chef Finale tonight.....................however.................

Video Good, not Great!

Portnoy is playing a baby kit, but is the leader of the band.....................

2787379.jpg

Watched this tonight. I wanted to love it, mainly because of my great respect for Portnoy and Morse in Flying Colors. But this concert... well I was left wanting. I admit I don't know Transatlantic so I have no idea how well this concert represents them. But I found the music completely uninteresting. Talented playing, for sure, but some songs I just couldn't wait for them to end. And while I love Morse's keyboards, I think there's a reason in Flying Colors that he's not the principal vocalist. And what the hell was the guy in the back with the guitar and keyboard doing? I couldn't tell at all what he was contributing. Maybe that's just the mix, I don't know.

I'm sorry. I usually try to be more positive in my reviews. Maybe it's just my mood tonight or my expectations based on my admiration for Flying Colors. Maybe it's just the style of music that doesn't interest me so much. I don't know... I think it's just the musical compositions here that I found bland, not sure.

Sorry... I'll give it a listen some other time, occasionally this happens where I find more in a band after a second listen.

heeman said:

Video Good, not Great!

2787379.jpg

Best prog band ever!!!!!

WHAT...............................

Completely uninteresting?????

This is about as Progessive as you can get these days.

Agree about Morse's vocals.

We all have different tastes...............

Total opposite here, that is one of the reason's I recommended it........

:music-rockout: :text-imsorry: :music-rockout:

These guys are better musicians and writers than they are mesmerizing performers. I get bored when I rely too much on my eyes. But I love to watch how they play their Instruments to make such amazing music.

I respect these guys, but this particular concert just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's just not their best performance, I have no idea. If you have another video, and/or an album, to recommend that better represents them, I'm happy to give it a try.

Flint, I agree with that statement. That is what got me, I was really hooked on watching them, not specifically the "show". Not being familiar with their music, I was just sucked in to what was coming next!

Back