• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Concert Video are you listening to?

I'm showing a "you bad boy you hotlinked our image and we're pissed" picture... :naughty:

51XDEJBRJVL.jpg

I cranked this one up last night, what a great show, it has been years since I have watched this one.

510NFU2in5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh, I picked a good day to take a day of Leave and stay home, this was on my doorstep this morning!

The latest in the Classic Albums series; great fun! Some interesting tidbits:

They had completed the album (was recorded in a rented farmhouse/cattle barn) and were starting to pack up, Peter came in the next morning with one more idea, and that became Sledgehammer. Cool to hear Manu Katchi's drum parts solo'd, and see Tony Levine play the fretless bass line that makes the song. The video had been done in stop-motion photography, and apparently the two dancing chickens at the end of it started getting a bit gamey under the hot studio lights. :doh:

Peter had originally insisted the opening track, Red Rain, not have any cymbals on it, and that's how Jerry Marotta played it. It was later in the project that Daniel Lanois convinced Peter to add "some" cymbals, and they brought in Stewart Copeland (The Police) who just played the opening high-hat part; they kept Marotta's toms!

Don't Give Up is the fantastic duet between Peter and Kate Bush. But guess who Peter had originally called to sing the part: Dolly Parton!! She turned him down as she'd never heard of him. :laughing:

I'll stop now, too many spoilers already. I love these disks, and I think this is my new favorite of the series (really enjoy Dark Side of the Moon and Songs in the Key of Life, too).

My only disappointment was that I didn't realize he'd recorded So before he'd built his "home studio", so its not featured:

studio10.jpg

Thanks Botch........I have been eying that one for a while now. We played the crap our of that CD when it first came out.

51jPdM3vZ8L._AA1024_.jpg

I have been years since we watched this one............ :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

KISS @ Nurburg, Germany (on Palladia, couldn't find a photo of this one).

These goofballs are older than I am, and they're still kicking it! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

3086e4506a2dac21c7aaf4352714621b.jpg

The Rolling Stones - "Charlie is my Darling - Ireland 1965"

This disc just came out this past Tuesday but I recorded it from a showing that was on the Audience channel Saturday. A must for Stones fans it is more of a documentary than a concert video. Shot in 1965 at two concerts in Ireland (at the time Satisfaction was #1) it is the original group in all its young glory. Taken from film shot for a documentary that never really materialized it is very well restored and constructed. The concert footage is very good for the time but this was when it was more important just to see the band, not necessarily listen to them. Hundreds of screaming girls in the background and just a basic sound system. Scenes of young fans storming the stage and the guys actually having to fight them off themselves, no Hells Angels security then.

But the movie is still very good. Just seeing Keith Richards as a youngster, with muscle under his skin, is worth it. And of course Brian Jones is there. And all the interviews with the band members, at the beginning of their long journey into fame, are great to see. And seeing them do Beatles songs in their dressing rooms was neat.

I am not a die hard Stones fan, probably have 5-6 of their albums from over the years, but really enjoyed this and will pick up on disc. If you are not a fan of the Stones you may not be interested but it is definitely an important period of rock history.

Petey did not rate this one, he just kept asking "who the hell are those guys?"

61H89GWakzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh yeah!
I didn't know this disc was out, saw it in Best Buy today and grabbed it.
Performance: 5!
Audio: 4 (board mix)
Picture: 4 (not eye-popping like, say, RTF, but the panning/editing are great!)

The show began with "Ballad for a Girl in Buchanan", killer! Then "Questions 67 & 68", a political statement just as relevant today as it was in the early 70's.
Okay, now they got some scared-to-death schoolteacher trying to sing "If you leave me now", just took a big nose-dive... :doh:

Will post more later. Mebbe. :|

0customm.jpg

Performance - 0.5 Stars
Audio Quality - 2.5 Stars
Video Quality - 3.0 Stars

Phil Collins should stick to Rock music and never EVER deviate from it. He simply does not have the skill, talent, vocal ability, charisma or - most importantly - the soul to sing Motown. I've seen a more soulful performance from a 7 year old Asian girl at Amateur Night at the Apollo. Phil was so far out of his element, I would liken it to Mitt Romney repairing sewer leaks.

This was simply awful!

And embarrassing.

Josh-Groban-Awake-Live-474274.jpg

Concert - 4.0 Stars
Audio Quality - 4.0 Stars
Video Quality - 3.0 Stars

Say what you will about Josh but the man can sing! And he's a hell of an entertainer too. I don't much care for (most of) his music but I could watch him perform all day long. Those of you who've seen his performances on David Foster's Hit Man concert know what I'm talking about. Awake is essentially an entire concert of those Hit Man performances. However, the stellar standout performance of this concert had nothing to do with Josh.

A sweet, innocent, unassuming and adorable looking young lady named Lucia Micarelli wowed everyone with an incredible violin solo! And the last note of that solo was the first note in a fully orchestrated Led Zeppelin tune that left everyone awestruck! Well, as awestruck as one can be while giving a standing ovation.

l.jpg

GO LUCIA! :bow-blue:

rita_213_cvr.jpg

Oppo universal disc players came with an "AIX Records" sampler (at least for awhile). I watched mine 3 years ago, really liked the sound and video, and made a mental note to check out their catalog. But, I completely swamped myself with other blurays, 5.1 DVDs, SACDs, DVD-A's etc, and forgot about AIX Records.
A post on my musicians' forum fired a synapse, and I checked out their website last week. They're having a Xmas sale, buy any two discs and get a third free (at $35 a pop, not a bad deal). Got three in the mail today, and they included their new "Sampler" (some gems on it, this is gonna cost me). The audio is just pristine, they record direct-to-disk, 24/96 to DVD-A or Bluray Audio, mixing live, no overdubs, autotune, compression or artificial reverb. They use killer musicians, beautiful reverberant recording spaces, some very expensive mics, and video-record the sessions with damn good camera angles/panning for such a small operation. This is the real thing, there are subtle flubs among the musicians and too-hot/too-low entrances of soloists (its mixed live). AIX only records new music, they don't release a bluray copy of the original 30-ips master tape, that kinda thing. As a result you're not going to find "Eagles Greatest Hits" or things like that, and in fact the only artists they've recorded that I've heard of is Rita, Alvin Lee, and Mark Chesnutt.
The only complaint I have about this record label (besides the cost) is they pan in 5.1 with complete abandon, ie the drums come out of the back channels, rhythm guitar out of right rear and right front, timbales out of two opposite speakers, etc. I prefer a mix where the band appears to be in front of me (as in a show) and the rear channels carry more reverberants, and audience noise (if any). Tom Petty's Mojo bluray Audio excels at this.
Will definitely be bringing a sample or two to the next GTG; dayam this stuff sounds amazing! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

Another AIX bluray:

ac_timba_jazz_213_cvr.jpg

Oh yeah! :music-listening: :handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap:

Back