• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HTIP - Home Theater In Progress

I really like the satin finish on the woodwork. Glad that you did not choose a high gloss.

What product is it? Is it an all in one, stain/finish or is a satin poly.

Looks great!

Towen,

I'm only just getting caught up on Forum back reading and just spent some real quality time going through this thread.

This is looking absolutely great! Seeing that room being transformed one step at a time has been a real treat.

Jeff

ps. Where are you planning to hide the 7 powered subs (and thus take the "Matt" title away from me)? :)

Wow, room is looking good! yeah, those mounts don't have much wiggle room, but they're bout all that's out there for some heavier bookshelf speakers. I'm with the others....if ya need more angle, put a thin wedge under em and then clamp/screw them in place.

I've been travelling for work and just got home today, so I haven't got much to report other than hanging some pictures and adding more junk to the shelves. I'm hoping to get the table fixed and everything wired by the end of the weekend. If that works out I'll start planning some basic acoustic treatments. Wish me luck.

The Hulk is a signed print and is on the right wall between the windows.

March24-3.jpg

for perspective...

March24-4.jpg

I found a copy of the Iron Man poster from the movie and had to have it. It's hanging with a Spiderman poster on the left wall.

March24-5.jpg

March24-2.jpg

A shot at whats on the back shelf at the moment...

March24.jpg

Just curious why the staps on the speakers??

Also, what are the straps??? Are they velcro??

The straps are indeed velcro.

The speakers are HEAVY (32.5 lbs according to the spec sheet) and even with only 7 degrees of tilt, they will tip over if not secured to the bracket. I've got some foam wedges to raise the back and increase the tilt even more so they need to be secured. I've chosen to strap them instead of screwing them into the bracket. I'm pretty confident that I'll replace the speakers in the next year or so and I want to retain as much of their resale value as possible.

Considering their weight, I'd probably still use the straps in addition to screws if I wasn't worried about damage. The screw holes are tiny and low on the cabinet chassis. I don't have a ton of confidence in them and the last thing I need is a 33 lb speaker falling to it's death or hitting someone on the head.

Wow - a print signed by the Hulk!

Didn't know he had freckles - somehow they don't fit with the image I had of him..........

Ha!

The print is signed by the artist, Cory Smith.

I kinda like realistic portrayals of comic book icons every now and then. The freckles and beard stubble help remind the viewer that somewhere within the Hulk is a human.

Zing said:
I have a question though: what are you doing with that Adcom in the rack if you have powered speakers?

I found a use for the Adcom. I'll put it to use as the amp for two rear-surround speakers. I just happen to have a pair of passive speakers that will fit on top of the rear cabinets. Thats no easy trick because the ceiling slopes toward the center of the room. The JBL's have a curved back which will allow them to sit on top of the cabinets and point down toward the listening position.

I know that they probably wont be a perfect match for the Mackie HR824s in the other five positions. I have these laying around so I'll give them a shot. If I hate them than I'll look into other solutions.

March24-7.jpg

Towen7 said:
I know that they probably wont be a perfect match for the Mackie HR824s in the other five positions. I have these laying around so I'll give them a shot. If I hate them than I'll look into other solutions.
You won't hate them. And that's a promise. For the duty those speakers will be pulling, they'll be a sufficient enough match.

And I really, really like the way your room is turning out! To steal your words, "I didn't like you much before but I'm starting to hate you now". :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Towen7 said:
Zing said:
I have a question though: what are you doing with that Adcom in the rack if you have powered speakers?

I found a use for the Adcom. I'll put it to use as the amp for two rear-surround speakers. I just happen to have a pair of passive speakers that will fit on top of the rear cabinets. Thats no easy trick because the ceiling slopes toward the center of the room. The JBL's have a curved back which will allow them to sit on top of the cabinets and point down toward the listening position.

March24-7.jpg

I have a pair of those I'm thinking about putting in the garage.......for when we have dart tournaments.

Towen,
I love the way the room is turning out....but that's an excellent job on the wood work.

Looks like that's going to be a killer room to relax and have some fun.

Good job!

It starts with a pair, next thing you know it's 18 JBL's and a parametric EQ for each!

JBL, the Lays of speakers.....

Were getting much closer...

The surround and rear speakers are all wired up. To get power and audio to the surrounds I used a plastic wire molding and painted it to match the wall. The molding disappears but the exposed black wires are less than attractive. You cant see the wires unless you are looking at them from the side though.

March28-3.jpg

March28-9.jpg

Those plastic wire conduits work pretty well. I use them in my house in a few different places.

I've always been curious on the power cord for the HR824s. Do they supply you with one? How long is it? And do you have each of your rears connected to a surge protector on top of the rear bookshelf? Did you have to install an outlet to an unusual location?

Back